Well after reading blkgunlvr's thread about his new toy, and talking to a guy at work about Mauser actions and their controlled-feed system, I decided to shop for a donor action for a cheap custom rig. I've actually been looking for a burnt, or otherwise fucked-up Rem 700 in 7RUM. I was planning on doing it slowly, but eventually building a nice compact long-range rig to sling those 180gr Bergers.

I had pretty much settled on a 22" medium-heavy contour (.75" or so) fluted pac-nor barrel. They will install and true for close to $600. Then I was gonna grab a Bell and Carlson Medalist with the "butt-hook" stock (love 'em for bipod work) and put a DE brake on it.

Once my friend at work explained why he likes the whole controlled feed thing it made sense to me, so I went on GB to see if I could find a cheap (cheaper than CDNN) 798 in 7mm Rem Mag (I guess I'll just sling 168s).

Looky what I found:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172542119

Had to jump on it, it was ALMOST perfect. Still have to hog out the barrel channel on the stock (Or trade it off for the butthook varmint model) and grab some glass.

It will be a while, but I'm guessing by August I should have good enough dope cards to whack some unsuspecting 'yotes that are fuckin with our fall calvers. Oh I'll be taking this to MT this winter to cash out an elk tag too! :super: