I'm thinking about selling my Norinco SKS, for a Saiga .223, Main reason would be to get a rifle with Hi-Cap mags that don't have a massive duck bill on them. And I'm fairly frustrated with how front heavy my SKS is. Would this be a good switch? I live in Kommiefornia so Hi-caps are out of the question for now. Can anyone suggest a good bullet button so I can modify the Saiga if I decide to go in that direction.

I'm thinking about selling my Norinco SKS, for a Saiga .223, Main reason would be to get a rifle with Hi-Cap mags that don't have a massive duck bill on them. And I'm fairly frustrated with how front heavy my SKS is. Would this be a good switch? I live in Kommiefornia so Hi-caps are out of the question for now.

AKs are fairly front heavy too. Of course, you can change furniture or add a rear optics mount to change the balance. But I wouldn't convert a Saiga if I lived in California.

I don't really understand your reasoning very well. Your main reason is to be able to have a rifle with high capacity mags, but you can't have high capacity mags on account of your location? Are you planning to move soon?

I'm thinking about selling my Norinco SKS, for a Saiga .223, Main reason would be to get a rifle with Hi-Cap mags that don't have a massive duck bill on them. And I'm fairly frustrated with how front heavy my SKS is. Would this be a good switch? I live in Kommiefornia so Hi-caps are out of the question for now.

AKs are fairly front heavy too. Of course, you can change furniture or add a rear optics mount to change the balance. But I wouldn't convert a Saiga if I lived in California.

I don't really understand your reasoning very well. Your main reason is to be able to have a rifle with high capacity mags, but you can't have high capacity mags on account of your location? Are you planning to move soon?

Well one of the reasons is for Hi cap mags, I am planning on getting out of California as soon as physically possible, so I figure, do the majority of the modifications while i'm out here, and have it ready to go when I get somewhere that will allow me to have more than a 10rd.

As for the AR mags, I was just curious, trying to explore some options, what would you suggest using?

As for the AR mags, I was just curious, trying to explore some options, what would you suggest using?

I just look at AR mags as one of the weak points of the AR system. There may be certain types of AR mags that are reliable, though. I confess not being an expert on that matter. But I'm not big on trying to make my AK into an AR. It works best fairly close to stock.

I use Galil steel, Galil Orlite, and Circle 10 mags in my Saiga .223. What will work best is dependent on your particular gun. I had to modify my gun to get it to accept the Circle 10 mags (which are the best AK mags for this caliber), but others had no such difficulties.

Jim

saiga all the way dude. i'm a fan of the SKS yes, but i think it's pretty gay when people put funky stocks on them and retarded 40rd mags and other heresy....but hey, to each his own. the sks is a nice semi-auto carbine that holds ten rounds and can be reloaded from stripper clips...

it is NOT an assault rifle and will never be one... and yes, the saiga can take AR mags with an adapter, BUT keep in mind that the mags on an AR are the weekest link of that rifle system, u want absolutely nothing to do with them. Even Pmags (what i use in iraq) pale in comparison to bulgarian 5.56 ak mags...

I love my .223 but if I had it to do all over again I'd probably go with the x39. This is because of the mags. You can find ak mags for dirt cheap bu the circle 10's are expensive (but good).

Go with 7.62x39. They're lighter weight. The .223 uses an underbored 7.62 barrel, making it extremely front heavy.

I find the .223 front-heavy, but not "extremely" so. The underbored barrel is actually a feature, not a bug, allowing for longer sustained fire with less degradation of accuracy. The 30 round x39 magazines are nearly a half pound heavier than a 30 round .223 magazine when fully loaded, so any slight weight advantage of the x39 is evened out there.

But since the OP already has an gun using 7.62x39, I think it would be natural to stay with that caliber when procuring a Saiga. I don't think the .223 would be a bad choice, though.

do what i do and buy one of everything... I've owned all of the calibers and i gotta say the 5.45 and the 5.56 are pretty damn accurate. for 762 i prefer the akms for the underfolder, but whatever, get what u think you'll like and you'll be pleased with it, they're nice rifles...

I agree with all that. My 5.56's shoot (steel case ammo) slightly better than any other 7.62x39 AKM I've seen. You also have more ammo choices.

That said:

If plan to only shoot 250yds or less, go 7.62x39. 5.56/.223 has a much flatter trajectory past 200yds, but consider how often do you plan to shoot that far.

Also 7.62 with steel case ammo functions more to the original military specs.

Many of the arguments of why 5.56 is better terminally loose effect when you shoot the steel case imported .223 stuff.

yup. the only real difference is that using good comercial soft point .223 and a 5rd mag gives you a legal and very good shooting hunting rifle in most states... as long as you use good optics and stay under 300m you'll be VERY satisfied.

out to 200m i've used one of my milled ak47's with irons and been happy too.

so basically, just pick whatever round you think you'll use most and get it... :super: