Please post pictures of the inside of your Magwell opening

I'm messing with what was either one of the last of the first design magwells (AGP) that Jack Traverse had made by Robert, or something that Robert made from Jack's base design (really dosn't matter for the discussions sake). To the chase, this thing never really worked up to my expectation for a magwell, but I've found that it may still have functional value. If you look at my picture, I machined a wedge and have it temporarily affixed (read super glue) to the front of the inside of the magwell. Before there was about a 3/16" dead spot 90 degrees to the receiver at the front that made it easy jam the front of the mag against and keep it from entering through the receiver. The taper now forces the front straight into the mag opening in the receiver and the back simply latches. There's also still a bit of a ledge on the sides where the magwell mates with the receiver, but I don't care to open the receiver up more than I have at that point. The nice thing that I've found is that I can still leave enough of the front catch (on Promag mags) to allow it to be easily inserted and latch in this gun and still work in my others. It's still just a bit of a rock and lock, but not much. The magwell works more like a guide and the mag locks in very positively.

What I'd like to see is good pictures like the one I have shown of Izzy, Jack Travers, or R and R magwells looking down inside the opening to see how the magwell interfaces with the opening in the receiver for the mag. We've all seen how cool they look bolted to the gun from the side, I'd like to see it from a more functional view. Thanks to all that post, I think this will be kind of a cool new angle on things and I'm curious to see how different designs mate up to the gun.

post-1866-058944500 1276124986_thumb.jpg

post-1866-073709100 1276124998_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

THAT WAS EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing with the AGP mag well. I could get the mag in each time but it was not a positive thing like with the R&R mag well. The problem is, with the AGP mags there is a screw boss on the front of the AGP mags. Your onto something there but you might have to make a provision in your "guide" for that screw boss. I like the way your thinking, something to cover that lip of the forward edge of the mag opening in the receiver mag hole created by the gap in the front of the magwell.

The R&R Mag well on the other hand, inside front edge, (on mine) actually overlaps (just a smidge) the front of the opening of the opening in the receiver. It ensures that the mags is smoothly guided into the Receiver.

I will try and get some pics and get em up later,

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Edited by IPSC_GUY

Looking forward to seeing your pics and how they mate up to the gun. The R and R looks to be a multi part design that probably allows them to machine the profile the shape inside with a little more intent if I'm looking at other threads correctly. The test part I made needs to be just a touch shorter or have a slight curve to it to allow the mag to drop free a little more reliably.

Did you guys just use a mag body to center the well when you drilled the holes?

Did you trim the receiver to match the well on the sides?

Awesome pictures guys, this will be a huge help to me when mine gets here. (1st gen JT AGP)

No...you don't have to trim the receiver at all.

First you modify the mag for use with the magwell. It comes with detailed instructions on just what you need to take off of either style mag (AGP or SGM).

Then with the gun laying upside down with magwell placed on the receiver facing up, You insert the mag and push the magwell forward til it holds the mag without movement. That's where you mark, drill and tap the holes. Jack told me this on the phone. In the instructions it says to push it all the way forward, then back off .015", then mark the hole center. Not sure which is best. I do know that the one I have been tinkering with in the pics, trying to get it to feed right, had to be pushed all the way forward as tight as I could get it, before the gun would run 100% with low brass. It was very finicky and took several adjustments before I got it right. Now it runs great! One problem was the previous owner had also had to move it around some, and the mounting holes were elongated to allow for more adjustment. Even with red locktite on the screws, it kept getting bumped back under heavy recoil. I fixed this by making a spacer block to fit tight between the rear edge of the magwell's base, and the front edge of the Tromix TG's selector stop, once I had it feeding right 100% of the time. You can see the spacer in the pic below (with the temporary slotted screw I installed after drilling and tapping a hole for it). She ain't goin nowhere now! Jack told me when he gets his mounted just where he wants it, and it test fires well, he will then countersink another screw in the base, drilled and tapped into the receiver, to make sure it does not move.

This is a great product. Unlike my Russian magwell on one of my other S-12s, this one is very easy to install and does not permanently alter the receiver, except for a few screw holes. With the Russian magwell, you have to cut out two big notches in the receiver for the body of the magwell, on either side of the mag catch, and cut another notch in front of the well, for the forward mounting screw. I have some good pics somewhere of that installation. I'll try to find them and post them here.

post-1293-026638100 1276443456_thumb.jpg post-1293-040771800 1276443545_thumb.jpg

Ok I found them.

I forgot to mention, with the Russian magwell you also have to trim the sides of the S-12's mag opening, and also trim the front edge, making it almost impossible to go back to rock and lock mags if you ever wanted to.

Of course I say ALMOST impossible. Anything is possible....

post-1293-027074400 1276444217_thumb.jpg

post-1293-088809900 1276444244_thumb.jpg

post-1293-088463100 1276444262_thumb.jpg

post-1293-094854000 1276444316_thumb.jpg

post-1293-011465400 1276444330_thumb.jpg

post-1293-049385900 1276444389_thumb.jpg

post-1293-002415400 1276444404_thumb.jpg

post-1293-055907800 1276444421_thumb.jpg

000.gif

• Like 1

Wow... the Russian well looks cheap compared to the JT.

Mine is a virgin well, and virgin gun. I already made certain she was a '08 three port gun, nice and centered. A little break free and a few drops of the pink stuff from Brownells and she was slick. No issues at all. (I oiled my puck and it got a bit messy, but I didn't want to break her in dry.)

I'm just waiting on my parts and I'll video my installation.

:blues:

Good stuff so far, we still need a pic of the new R and R set up. Looks like my 1st JT design has the largest void at the front, I was told to fit it flush with the end of the receiver which might account for some of it. The new gen JT's have a better taper as well. Also, just because we have "a" picture of a particular magwell doesn't mean you shouldn't post yours-more is better ( ;

Hey Mark, the JT magwell on my gun is also an early issue. Greg told me the new ones don't hang over past the front like mine does, when they are adjusted right. I actually had to mill some off the back of my HG to give it room. Just thought I should mention that.