What The Heck Happened!?

Just got my Saiga 12 today. Took it out shooting and put about 70 shells through it without a single problem. I shot federal hollow point rifled slugs and Remington 00 buckshot. Started cleaning it when I got home and had a very hard time unscrewing the gas regulator and after getting it out the threads look melted. The gas puck was jammed in there and it took a lot of force to get it out. Finally got it out and I'm scared I damaged the gun some how. I hope I just need to replace the puck and regulator. I had the setting on 1 which I think I did correctly. I tighten the regulator all the way down the went back to the 1; did I do that wrong? Does the inside of the gas tube look good still? Please help me make sure I didn't damage the gun beyond buying a new puck and regulator. I can take more pictures if you need.

post-24443-040883200 1276133444_thumb.jpg

post-24443-001300800 1276133457_thumb.jpg

post-24443-032540000 1276133466_thumb.jpg

post-24443-093083200 1276133475_thumb.jpg

post-24443-078323900 1276133488_thumb.jpg

post-24443-052891900 1276133497_thumb.jpg

post-24443-004235900 1276133506_thumb.jpg

Normal gunk. Scrub it off with some CLP and a hard brush. The plug can get sticky after shooting. try a copper based anti-sieze grease on the threads. Sometimes I have to tap the puck out with a wooden dowel. May be gunky but it is normal.

Edited by RobRez

I didn't look closely at that photo! It does look like the threads are magically GONE! How do the threads look on the inside of the chamber there? Just saw that above post. My gunfixr plug only has about a quarter inch of thread so I am sure he is correct. Only needs to be threaded as much as the inside.

Edited by RobRez

The threads are not gone off the plug. It's just not turned down enough to remove the total depth of cut. When they made the plug, the entire thing was threaded completely, then they went back and removed the excesive thread, but did not go deep enough on the cut. It is also, most likely off center. So when you turn the plug into the gas block, it hits on one side, then spins free, then hits the side again. So you end up with a tight spot as you turn it in and out.

Tony

• Like 3

The threads are not gone off the plug. It's just not turned down enough to remove the total depth of cut. When they made the plug, the entire thing was threaded completely, then they went back and removed the excesive thread, but did not go deep enough on the cut. It is also, most likely off center. So when you turn the plug into the gas block, it hits on one side, then spins free, then hits the side again. So you end up with a tight spot as you turn it in and out.

Tony

you described my factory chokes perfectly...

Ok thanks I was pretty scared since I just got it. This post should just be deleted.

Not at all. It's good information. Tony is spot on regarding the threads.

You may want to take a look at the new regulator Tony is coming out with as well. So far everything I have seen from Tromix has been a solid product. Well designed, well made, and built to last.

Just got my Saiga 12 today. Took it out shooting and put about 70 shells through it without a single problem. I shot federal hollow point rifled slugs and Remington 00 buckshot. Started cleaning it when I got home and had a very hard time unscrewing the gas regulator and after getting it out the threads look melted. The gas puck was jammed in there and it took a lot of force to get it out. Finally got it out and I'm scared I damaged the gun some how. I hope I just need to replace the puck and regulator. I had the setting on 1 which I think I did correctly. I tighten the regulator all the way down the went back to the 1; did I do that wrong? Does the inside of the gas tube look good still? Please help me make sure I didn't damage the gun beyond buying a new puck and regulator. I can take more pictures if you need.

You need one of these! http://www.chaosus.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CQC

The crazy part to me is that we have options now for replacing the stock gas regulator....

that does seem like a whole lotta buildup though, maybe I just missed the meeting about how much more carbon gets in the gas system from slugs