Need some help on deciding on what gun to buy? I am looking at getting into multi gun match. Right now I have a Saiga 223, Ruger SR9, and a Mossberg 500. I am coming back from a deployment and all ways by myself a little welcome home gift. :lolol: What would be the best to upgrade? I was looking at going with a Saiga 12. However, I think that would require a pistol upgrade as well due to the bump in equipment class. What are the thoughts out there?

Need some help on deciding on what gun to buy? I am looking at getting into multi gun match. Right now I have a Saiga 223, Ruger SR9, and a Mossberg 500. I am coming back from a deployment and all ways by myself a little welcome home gift. :lolol: What would be the best to upgrade? I was looking at going with a Saiga 12. However, I think that would require a pistol upgrade as well due to the bump in equipment class. What are the thoughts out there?

You should check the match rules you will shoot. Some are allowing Saiga's in Tactical class with some limitations on what can be done to it. You would not need to upgrade your pistol for that.

Most places will put you in Open class.

I just started last year so I'm no expert, but go do a couple with what you've got and your question will answer itself.

I started with a AR, Beretta, and Saiga 12. Didn't like the Beretta double action to single so I picked up a glock.

Welcome to the addiction. :super:

The best advise I have heard is to shoot what you have for a while and then you will have a better idea of what you need. Going out and buying a bunch of new stuff is almost always the wrong answer and will cost you more money in the long run. Make sure your stuff functions with the ammo you plan to use and know your zero. Then have fun and see what everyone else is using. It will save you money in the long run. Have fun!

Doug

• Like 2

Hate to say it on a Saiga forum, but most competitors end up with an AR15 clone of some form or fashion. So if you are wanting to treat yourself (and not wait) sinking money into an AR is a safe bet. Find a midweight gun. If you shoot with long range targets stick with a 20 inch bbl, and it really isn't that much slower on the "in your face" cqb courses either.

Honestly, I'd say it'll help your scores the most. I've assumed that you aren't penalized for a 9mm pistol ... if you are a 40 cal hicap pistol might be best.

Practicing with a pump can quickly have you shooting at or near your auto shotgun speed.

Pick up a AR and don't ever look back.

Next would definitely be an Auto12 ... have to decide if you are going to play in open (Saiga) or if you want a bellyfeeder (remmy, browning, bennelly, etc...). If you are going open, it'll strongly affect your pistol (which can now wear glass and might allow "big stick" mags.)

Changing to an XD/Glock/M&P likely won't change your pistol shooting drastically ... but you'll get into a brand that has a lot of options for competition extras.

Of course, the 3gun sport doesn't really have a unified set of rules, so look into the matches you'll likely shoot and see if you are on course.