? Help Finding US made floor plates

I posted this before (a month ago) and got nadda.

I managed to order some Arsenal US Made floorplates/followers for my factory Saiga 'Poly' mags.:super:

I still need US made floor plates for the std. STEEL Surplus/Combloc mags... Anyone got any sources for these??

The Arsenal ones slide on but obvioulsy are for the thicker poly material edges.

They are actually very easy to bend and reshape on your own. I have shortened AK magazine bodies and all it needs is a Dremel to cut them to shape, and the steel is soft enough that with a nice pair of vise grips with a flat edge or even just a vise you can ben them by hand very easily. I would try vrbtmn's link and make some, especially if you have tin snips lying around. I would assume the only hard part of making floorpates would be cutting them out which I can see getting kind of tedious.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

I think it would be pretty difficult to fabricate the floorplates yourself, with just hand tools. The outline you could do...maybe. But then you'd have to cut out the square hole, which would require some very careful dremeling. Then, you'd have to fold over the sides and back, so it has a means of snapping into place, which would require a precision sheetmetal brake of some sort.

All in all, they aren't as simple as they look. I guess that's why there aren't any US manufacturers making them. Ideally, you'd want a laser cutter, or a sheetmetal shear; and then a brake to fold the sides over. None of which is very cheap to do in small quantities.

I may be making some of these soon. I'll post here if I do. I will probably do a run of 20 and them evaluate my time invested and decide whether or not I want to sell any. I already have everything I need to do it.

I have the gear to make them. But I kind of have a full schedule right now. We do low volume only so our prices would be fairly reasonable compared with a large all CNC place. I don't have an interest in selling them myself as I don't make anything for 7.62x39. But I could make them for you if you don't mind waiting a bit.

They are not hard parts to build.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried making some floor plates from 20 guage steel and found them difficult to bend and make them look decent. I have made several using .030 aluminum and have had much better success and they seem to be strong enough.

To make the square hole in the aluminum floor plate, I have been using an OEM floor plate as a guide to mark the outline of the square hole, then drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the marked "square" and then use a small triangle file to make the round hole into a square.

I have also fabricated a few floor plates for polymer magazines from aluminum also.

After completing them I have been stamping "US" "2010" and my initials on them and then painting them flat black. They aren't perfect, but at least they are Made in the USA.

• Like 1

I bought one of the Korean 40 rounders from Copes just to try it out. The steel is a tad thinner, roughly the equivalent of the "new" Bulgy steel mags, but the follower is steel as well, not plastic. Anyway, the floorplate, however, is marked "American Tactical". After finding this thread I figured I'd google search them and I found there website, which I won't link :|, and found a 40 round mag on their site, but that was all the info on it. It only said "ATI MAGAZINE 7.62x39 AK47/RPK MAG 40 ROUND GRAY STEEL", ATI is them: American Tactical Imports. Sooooo, I'm wondering myself now if these floor plates are US parts, not that I need the compliance part, but it doesn't hurt, and I'm also wondering if they sell just floor for you guys looking for US steel floor plates. I just tested it on a surplus mag and it does fit, a bit snug, though.

Edited by SAIGA-Genesis

welcome to the forum tvinyard. sounds like a good idea you have going. any pics?

I've attached some pics, sorry for the quality, I don't have a camera that will take super-close ups.

For Steel Mags (L to R): Yugo OEM, 22ga steel, .030" aluminum

For Polymer Mags (L to R): Saiga OEM, .030" aluminum

post-20553-017838500 1278786255_thumb.jpg

post-20553-025290100 1278786296_thumb.jpg