Reassembly problem with bolt/guide

Trying to get back together after a field stip/cleaning. The bolt assembly doesn't seem to fit the grooves on the carrier, can't seem to find the right position (and don't know how the hell it wont move while pushing it closed. Can anyone please post a pic of how it should be aligned.

I've been at this a long time tonight. I could do a AK blindfolded but this S-12 is proving to be a real bitch. I do it once, will have it down for good but I'm just not seeing it.

I would greatly appreciate any help, frustration is high. Now I know, the conversion is WAY beyond capability, if I can't get it back together from a simple field strip...

You need to insert the tail end of the bolt into the hole in the carrier first, as I'm sure you know. Then with it pushed all the way back, rotate it clockwise until the cam on the side lines up with the channel for it in the carrier, and rotate it some more as you slide it forward into a locked position. Once it is all the way forward and engaged with the carrier properly, rotate the bolt head so that the lugs on the sides line up right with the ones on the back part of the bolt.

Now it is ready to install in the gun. It has to be all the way forward and the bolt head lined up straight.

Then just ease it in and slide it forward, after starting at the very back of the receiver and dropping it down into place behind the rails. You will need to put some pressure downward against the COCKED hammer so it will slide over it and forward into battery. Hammer must be cocked before assembly. You can do that with your thumb.

post-1293-049488000 1276431652_thumb.jpg

post-1293-043097300 1276431677_thumb.jpg

post-1293-049640900 1276431747_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Trying to get back together after a field stip/cleaning. The bolt assembly doesn't seem to fit the grooves on the carrier, can't seem to find the right position (and don't know how the hell it wont move while pushing it closed. Can anyone please post a pic of how it should be aligned.

I've been at this a long time tonight. I could do a AK blindfolded but this S-12 is proving to be a real bitch. I do it once, will have it down for good but I'm just not seeing it.

I would greatly appreciate any help, frustration is high. Now I know, the conversion is WAY beyond capability, if I can't get it back together from a simple field strip...

Cobra has some great photos above. Hopefully this will help as well.

Ahhh bingo! Haven't seen that before Mike. What's up with the left hand twist? That must be something I've been doing without realizing it...

Good video.

Probably has something to do with being left handed..LOL! Seriously though, with my first S12 I went through the same process as our original poster, until I discovered that a little twist to the left while pushing down was just what was needed to align the carrier perfectly with the rails.

As you pointed out earlier Shannon, it is absolutely imperative to have the bolt and carrier in correct position and alignment for the carrier to go in properly.

Thanks for another great post!

Mike

And pushed all the way forward is a must. Never had any trouble with the S-12 carrier install but the .308 can give you fits! The notch in the LH rail is just big enough to drop the bolt through so you have to get that one just right.

• Like 1

Oh man, thanks so much guys. Before reading your posts I remembered that I wasn't pushing forward on the bolt, somehow the bolt fell into the groove on it's own. But then got stuck after pushing the assembly down, the twist to the left. Saw it here and jumped into place. Got the top cover on and immediately broke down and did it 3 or 4 more times, without a hitch.

Really,thanks. that saved the day

I wanted to bend out the safety to move a little easier, never tried it before, didn't want to really reef on it, but I pried and held it out 1/2" maybe while holding down the back, it made no difference, still overlaps hard at the top and bottom of the reciever. Try to bend more towards just the end portion, I guess.

Edited by Steppe Sweeper

WaffenSchmied- are you the instructor in the video? If so, you really need to think about doing some Saiga conversion, complete step by step videos. AFAIK nothing like that out there on dvd, I'd definately buy one, even a DVD-R for top dollar. That guy was real easy to follow, perfect demonstration.

WaffenSchmied- are you the instructor in the video? If so, you really need to think about doing some Saiga conversion, complete step by step videos. AFAIK nothing like that out there on dvd, I'd definately buy one, even a DVD-R for top dollar. That guy was real easy to follow, perfect demonstration.

I made the video the day before your post for a customer who was experiencing the same problem. No plans at present to make instructional videos for S12 restoration, but I do appreciate the suggestion, and will keep it in mind:)

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

• 1 year later...

You guys are GREAT!

Thank you! Was suffering from similar frustrations. (I, too, can re-assemble an AK in the dark. But THIS little baby (a Tromix 8" S-17) has tricks that are IMPERATIVE to know). It was my first time dis-assembling and re-assembling.) I must have sweat off half a pound, before looking online for outside help! You guys made ALL the difference!

BTW: IF you ever install a new extended mag release (Carolina Shooters sells them and I bought an ambi one). My original one snapped. THEY INCLUDED A SLAVE PIN with the ambi one!!! (Don't know about other ones.) Think they should update their video from the "Q-tip" one. (That sucked - and it does NOT work smoothly as demonstrated - unless you've got some "mil-spec" Q-tips, or something.) I tried everything I could think of. Finally ended up using a heavy aliuminum pop-rivet (fit perfectly) to act as a GREAT slave. Could at least snip and de-burr it with regular "at-home" tools.

The LAST thing I noticed (when putting all the stuff away - which really frosted me) was that A SLAVE was in the package! NO NOTE!!!! I just THOUGHT it was a replacement pin if needed. (Okay, I should have noticed it was smaller...but still...) So much for following the VIDEO instructions. Following it cost me at least TWO hours - plus a few unnecessary scratches and dings in the process!!!!! Bet there was was some editing done to that "Install" video! No way, is it that easy (with a Q-tip!).

I hope this helps someone, as YOU guys helped me - tremendously!

Thanks!!!!!!