The following works for me, but may or may not work for you (you follow these instructions at your own risk). All of this is verifiable, though (you should check for yourself, if you love your pets).

I've now got 5 animals (4 new cats and one ancient dog).

I usually dose the dog with Advantage flea drops during the hot months, as the fleas don't seem to be a problem during the cooler times.

Advantage costs about $50 at the local place (for 4 doses). They come in 6 different packages (each package contains ampules of a certain capacity) for pets of different weights. The price is the near the same for all sizes.

Now here's where it gets interesting. . .

Advantage for Dogs and Advantage for Cats is the same stuff - the only difference is the size of the ampules in the box (and the picture and text on the outside of the box).

So, if we go by the official manufacturers product listing, we can get a good idea what dose size each pet will require:

Advantage 9 is available in 0.4 ml applicators for cats 1-9 lbs (orange)

Advantage 18 is available in 0.8 ml applicators for cats 10 lbs and over (purple)

Advantage 10 is available in 0.4 ml applicators for dogs 1-10 lbs (green)

Advantage 20 is available in 1.0 ml applicators for dogs 11-20 lbs (teal)

Advantage 55 is available in 2.5 ml applicators for dogs 21-55 lbs (red)

Advantage 100 is available in 4.0 ml applicators for dogs weighing 55 lbs and over (blue).

or to be a little more precise:

dose size versus pet weight

0.4ml = 0-10#

0.8ml = 11-20#

1.2ml = 21-30#

1.6ml = 31-40#

2.0ml = 41-50#

2.4ml = 51-60#

2.8ml = 61-70#

3.2ml = 71-80#

Where am I going with this?

You can buy the Advantage 100 (for XXL dogs [costs about the same as any other size, but you get 4.0ml ampules {16ml per package}]) and separate it out into individual doses for each of your pets.

Kitamber.jpg

An insulin syringe and small amber medicine bottle is used for application and storage (clear glass can lead to the early decomposition of the Advantage). You should keep any unused Advantage (in the medicine bottle) in the fridge.

If you have multiple pets, you've now saved yourself several hundred dollars a year, and if you have only one pet, the savings are still quite good.

Insulin syringes and medicine bottles are available at your local medical supply house, or ask your vet for them (see if they're into helping you or helping their pocket books). You can also buy the kits on fleabay. You can also buy Advantage on fleabay for less than you probably can at a local store.

This only works for original formula Advantage! Advantix, Frontline Plus and other anti-flea agents meant for dogs can kill cats!

• Like 4

It's great your trying educate people and show them how to save some money, with that said, you know someone will not read the whole story and end up killing their pet and trying to blame you!

Yup... thats what we do... got 4 dogs and 5 cats. I buy a couple of the jumbo size ampules for 10 bucks each... and I have enough to doll out to everyone.

What I *WILL* add to this, though... is we have tried all kinds of FLEA preventative... NOTHING works like advantage!

:smoke:

Nalioth, Great information and thanks for posting. If some idiot can't count or read and kills an animal, I would sure hate to be around this individual when they handle firearms.

Be safe,

Yakdung