looking at a 1911 for ccw

I'm looking to trade in 2 handguns that I don't use for a .45. I thought maybe a 1911.

I don't want a $1000 gun. Just something with a good trigger, modern sights and an ambi safety. Around $500. Only thing I could find is a Part GI expert at my local store for $519 and $589

Any one with experience with paras?

Any difference between thw compact and full size?

Any other value/entry level 1911?

Are they worth to ccw or is it more of a range gun?

Since this is a single action only gun the one thing I do NEED is an ambi safety so I can carry hammer cocked

Arik,

I dont have experience with Paras, but generally what I have heard has been very positive. My experience is with 1911 in general.

Between my son and I we have owned in the neighborhood of seven or eight 1911`s and for every negative I list someone else will add a positive. My carry gun is an older Springfield Champion. It is simple, rugged, and shoots well.

The first and probably foremost drawback to any 1911 is weight. Your 1911 "Mega Blaster Special" does you no good if its at home on the night stand cause you didnt want the weight with what you were gonna wear...And on a 90 degree 90 percent humidity day you WILL begin to notice.

As far as "concealability" the major thing to consider is the grip. The full size government model and the Commander size have a full size grip. For me the barrel length isnt nearly as much of an issue. If you wear loose fitting shirts or a sports coat or jacket a lot it helps, but when you bend over (and sometimes just standing around) that full size grip will often "print" badly.

I personally dont use "double stack" autos for two reasons...They feel too big in my hand, and add to the conceal problem.

People have been trying to "improve" on the original design since day one. Mostly by "downsizing"....There is a reason why some guns are over 1000..waaay over. Dependability. When you shorten the barrel and slide you may start getting FTE and FTF. My son sent one short Kimber back to them twice..Finally got rid of it. You are betting your life on that gun..so the builder should have a design that is 100 percent dependable.

You mentioned an ambi safety..Unless you are left handed Im not sure why you would want it...Yes they are easier to get to quickly..but they also make the gun thicker.

One last thing..If you go with a 1911 you KNOW you have the needed stopping power..But you must also be willing to spend the bucks for a heavy duty belt and carry method. A single thickness belt can begin to sag or even stretch over time. A lot of people will disagree with me but I use a "clipdraw" most of the time.

I would also mention that there are days you are sitting around the house in shorts ..and need to make a quick "milk run". Change clothes so you can carry your 1911?..No, most of us say "Im just going to the store..I wont take it." A better choice is a "pocket gun" like the little Ruger .380 or the Kel-Tec PT-3AT

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by Sharps45/70

1911s are sexy as hell, but a person could carry a Glock with 10-13 rounds, great dependability, lighter weight, throw it under the seat in winter & it won't rust, use the Glock-clip & it's a thinner profile, plus your ambi-safety thing is covered....

They're just ugly like all Glocks.

But it is concealed.....

Right?

Edited by Paulyski

Yep I'm a lefty. I was looking into a few .45 and I found a bunch that are cheaper, reliable, and fully ambidextrous but like Pauly said "sexy as hell". And no I don't wear loose fitting clothes. And I don't want a safe queen. Guess I'm going to keep lookin around for a .45

I too use my 1911 as my main carry arm-unless I'm hiking upstate, then it's the .44 mag. I got a Taurus pt1911, it's heavy as hell, but I got it for $474 and it came with all the bells and whistles: ambidextrous safety, Heine sights, all hammer forged steel, front and rear ribs on the slide, etc. The cons are: heavy, doesn't like Pro-Mag mags "but most 1911's don't" and it doesn't like Federal hydra-shock hollow points. It does like Hornady critical defence and Cor-Bon Power ball. It's a bit big for Summer carry, so I'm looking into a smaller .45 like a Glock compact or one of the new Taurus .45's. I hope that was helpful.

There is nothing wrong with a 1911 for carry, I carried one for close to twenty years. They are great guns and will do the job if you do yours. I think that everybody that is serious about pistols should get to know the 1911. That said, I have been carrying a Glock 20/21 for many years now and would not go back!

Except for a Stainless Para Ordnance Super Hawg in 10mm....

Convenience? Milk-Run Gun? i could care less, I really need a firearm as all times and could care less about such matters. I have a Glock 27 for "light carry." That will get me to the Trunk...

• Like 1

I carried an upgraded Combat Commander for years and love the shit out of that gun however, you need to train, train, train with a 1911 if you want to depend on it to save your ass. The added step of having to disengage the safety to fire does take up precious time.

I now carry one of my Glocks as that step is eliminated plus I have more rounds in the pistol. Regardless of caliber, you can still have more rounds in a Glock than a 1911. I'm not Hell Bent for .45 ACP anymore either. Shot placement is more important than caliber to me so I am as confident with a 9mm or a .40 as I am with a .45 for stopping a threat. Marksmanship is a perishable skill so shoot often!

Arik, I know nothing about 1911s but have been interested in them lately. I found a compact Citadel for around the price you are looking for. I read some reviews and they seem to be good. A Citadel might be a brand to look into.

I have a Springfield Champion I use as my CCW. Wilson Combat 8 round mags are only slightly bigger then the factory 7rnd mag. I keep an 8rnd mag in the gun and a factory mag in my pocket. Only thing I would point out is a good holster is important. I've found the hammer can dig into my side if I don't have my holster set right, I'm looking into other holsters that could fix that. Other then that I love carrying a 1911. Ultimately find a gun your comfort with, a good holster and practice a lot.

Edited by Rusty truck
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...