I only have 5 AKs in my collection so far with a wishlist at least 10 deep... if you could only choose 1 AK to keep the rest of your days which one would it be and why?

I'm not sure myself... it would have to have folding stock, great choices for optics installation, quality build... not get too hot too fast like my wasr... I think I'd have to shoot all the ones on my wishlist to choose for sure...

IMHO, there like potato chips, you can't have just one, or 10, or 25, you'll always want the next one.

Do I have fav's? Yes. Do I have safe Queens? Yes.

They don't really take up to much space. You don't have to feed them every day. They don't get jelious of each other.

Why settle on one?

I don't even have a .223 Saiga, but if i had to choose ONE ak, that would be it. No i don't think the .223 is better than 7.62x39, nor better than the .308. In fact, i think .223 sucks as a round. BUT it's sufficient and plentiful in the US. If I were in a foreign country, 7.62x39.

Obviously the 7.62x39 in 103 configuration is the most ideal for all around use. The idea of a Krinkov is silly because it lacks accuracy beyond 100m. The idea of a milled PolyTech Legend is equally bad because it lacks 24mm threads for a proper brake and weighs more then it needs to (also I don't trust anything made in China...).

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Any good solid stamped 7.62 gets my vote (especially the saiga). My favorite I own is a lancaster built on a polish kit (I DO NOT recomend lancaster but I got lucky- don't own a saiga in 7.62 because I got this first and like it, but I love my saiga's in other calibers). I use the ak 100 plastic type looks for weight and because I find the forend to be very comfortable- and I've tried a huge selection of furniture before deciding the russians just knew what they were doing and it's my favorite set up.

I don't like milled- I'm with bigsal on this one, it's unneccesary.

I'd also consider the 5.45 for affordability on ammo.. Have a saiga 5.45 set up identically to my 47 and love it almost as much. It sees the most range time due to how cheap it is to shoot it.

and the valmet is a cool gun as well.. wish I had one

Edited by volkov

The idea of a Krinkov is silly because it lacks accuracy beyond 100m

Untrue

300 yards is easy for a 5.45 AKSU and just about as easy for a 7.62. I had both and regularly shot them at 300 yards, hitting a 3/4 mansize steel plate is routine with irons, even simpler with a red dot.

Z

• Like 1

Untrue

300 yards is easy for a 5.45 AKSU and just about as easy for a 7.62. I had both and regularly shot them at 300 yards, hitting a 3/4 mansize steel plate is routine with irons, even simpler with a red dot.

Z

+1

I run my 7.62 AKSU out to 200 with an aimpoint its like cheating.

• 2 weeks later...

Untrue

Z

TX:> the 8" barrel lets the 5.45 out with 1900 FPS which is much less than a 16" barrel. I am glad you are having such good results with your rifles, but you can't tell me there is no difference in accuracy between the two lengths.....

• Like 1

I'm not telling you there is no difference in accuracy.

I'm telling you that 300 yards is a routine shot for AKSU's, which is based on actually shooting them as opposed to reading about them on the Internet. The muzzle velocity difference is an academic discussion, real world accuracy is excellent despite the difference in barrel length. They don't lack accuracy beyond 100m and to suggest they do is misleading.

There is a tendency for people to keep thinking AK's are inaccurate, but even 8" barrel 7.62 SLR107's will hit at 300 yards pretty consistently, particularly when used with a red dot which eliminates sight radius problems at those distances. All I can say is what many people already do, that AK's have excellent practical accuracy and can reliably score hits past 300m with a decent shooter behind the trigger.

Z

• Like 3

I'm telling you that 300 yards is a routine shot for AKSU's, which is based on actually shooting them as opposed to reading about them on the Internet. ...

Well sure, as long as the target is large enought.... :rolleyes:

But you should do some of this amazing AK shooting in a large public match and lay this puppy to rest!

BTW, I have also done a LOT of AK shooting and a lot of high power in general. Your experience seems contrary to my observed reality for whatever reason...

But you should do some of this amazing AK shooting in a large public match and lay this puppy to rest!

BTW, I have also done a LOT of AK shooting and a lot of high power in general. Your experience seems contrary to my observed reality for whatever reason...

Do you shoot an AKSU at 300 yards?

All I can say is that I do and my observations are like I mentioned...300 yards is not difficult, its pretty routine. We're not talking headshots, previously I stated a 3/4 man size steel plate, basically a little bigger than a torso sized target. We're not talking magic here or myserious sub moa accuracy either, the AKSU is a very reasonable performer past 100 yards.

Z

• Like 1

I'm telling you that 300 yards is a routine shot for AKSU's, which is based on actually shooting them as opposed to reading about them on the Internet. The muzzle velocity difference is an academic discussion, real world accuracy is excellent despite the difference in barrel length. They don't lack accuracy beyond 100m and to suggest they do is misleading.

There is a tendency for people to keep thinking AK's are inaccurate, but even 8" barrel 7.62 SLR107's will hit at 300 yards pretty consistently, particularly when used with a red dot which eliminates sight radius problems at those distances. All I can say is what many people already do, that AK's have excellent practical accuracy and can reliably score hits past 300m with a decent shooter behind the trigger.

Z

I will yield to your real world experience bro, but a 16" barrel would be much more consistent in reaching out beyond 100m as I originally stated. That is unless the laws of physics are temporaraly suspended around Krinkovs..... :haha:

(but seriously, no disrespect intended, I dont doubt you are getting those results)

• Like 2

I agree a 16" AKS74 is a better overall choice for just one AK but the AKSU can still get the job done, at leastin semi automatic. There is a reason why they aren't used by regular troops in the Russian army, partly due to less accuracy on full auto and partly due to the AKSU having the tendency to stall out during automatic fire. My understanding is that the 74 is highly effective at longer ranges and the AKSU isn't as much, so all things considered troops don't like them a whole lot, from what I have heard.

That being said for a Katrina type situation I would prefer a fullsize 74 but wouldn't have a problem taking an AKSU for defense, they are accurate enough.

Z

• Like 1

Do you shoot an AKSU at 300 yards?

All I can say is that I do and my observations are like I mentioned...300 yards is not difficult, its pretty routine. We're not talking headshots, previously I stated a 3/4 man size steel plate, basically a little bigger than a torso sized target. We're not talking magic here or myserious sub moa accuracy either, the AKSU is a very reasonable performer past 100 yards. Z

I read your other posting on the Winter Course that you has attended. Your claims there were very reasonable and practical for the AK. I just get tired of the 1-2 MOA idiots that post here consistently.

To answer your question, I have fired both the AKSU-74 and the AK105. I am fan of the 5.45x39 if only for its price. I have a LOT of it. I am working on an piston upper for my M4 in that caliber right now. The only reason I want to do it with an M4 as oppsoed to an AK is because mine is a ClassIII rifle.

Select fire 5.45 M4 with a piston sounds pretty darn neat, hope you can get it together and have it run smooth. That would be sweet indeed.

Personally I'm not a 1 MOA kind of guy which is the main reason I think AK's and AKSU's are plenty accurate, I think we agree on that.

Z

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I only have 5 AKs in my collection so far with a wishlist at least 10 deep... if you could only choose 1 AK to keep the rest of your days which one would it be and why?

I'm not sure myself... it would have to have folding stock, great choices for optics installation, quality build... not get too hot too fast like my wasr... I think I'd have to shoot all the ones on my wishlist to choose for sure...

if i could only have one AK style rifle, i think id go with a nice classic wood grain milled russian AK with a slant cut muzzle break. i really like that deep red finish.