Help me pick my next AK

hey. after having fun with my Zastava PAP it is time for me to move onto my next AK variation. the cheapest alternative that i believe i can afford at this time is Saiga. Unless somebody can suggest me sometin else that NJ legal. NOW the question is >>> wat caliber shud i get? and i know its really the question of personal preference 8)

For me its between 7.62X39 and .223

7.62X39 because i already have zastava PAP in the same caliber and i wud "save" on ammo

.223 because its our local all around caliber. (i really cant use 5.56mm ammo with it thou, rite?)

SO WAT DO U GUYS THINK/SUGGEST ?

PS sorry if i :deadhorse: and dont go all :evil: on me or :lol:

Of the two, 7.62.

I think ammo availability is over-emphasized, no point in going with an anemic and more expensive domestic caliber. Buy several tins of ammo if you think SHTF or a presidential executive order is really on the horizon.

If you want cheap, soft-shooting and accurate, go 5.45. Mags are much more available.

And yeah, a Saiga is a good choice!

• Like 1

Ok lets see what your options and limitations leave you.

First off stay away from 22cal if you want to do more than put holes in paper or shoot at anything that may have more than a car door as cover.

Money is an issue so staying with your current supply of 30cal saves you a ton. The x39 round is plentiful perhaps almost as much so as 223 in the current market. Its made in US now so upper end ammo is available. I wont say 308 here because just getting a decent stockpile of 3k rounds will run you over $1000 and up even though a 308 will shred your average car at twice the range. BTW having a store of at least 3000 rounds is damn near a minimum in this current wacky political environment. x39 can give you that for about 650.00 if you buy wisely. One way to do this is always buy twice what you just shot up and soon you find yourself with a good supply.

Go with the Saiga x39 and even if you cant convert in NJ legally you can stock the parts to do so if say things went belly up. Same goes for mags since you cant use the Com-bloc steel until its converted so that shouldn't cause any grief, get at least 10 btw. I prefer 20rd but 30rd may prove cheaper.

There it is for what its worth. Good luck.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

well if don't already have the S12 I'd say go that route first. You already have the 7.62 end covered. Having a 12 gauge that can use 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells light to heavy and slugs is hard to beat. conversion the same. Reliability issues are easier as everyone has already documented solutions. Mags are not as much of an issue anymore. MD 20 round drums and from what i hear the promag 12 round drums are doing well. I have several 8 and 10 round surefire mags/apg mags and a couple 20 round drums. This weapon can give you cheap plinking fun, hunting all types and serious defensive capabilities.

If you have one then I went with the idea of having a .223. First, because my son in law gave it back to me ..... so free is hard to beat. Then if things go to hell in a hand basket and i run out of 7.62 i can always have the plentiful .223 to use. Plus its re-loadable and i would like to try to work some heavy grain loads for it and see what it will do. ammo still pricey but it is my back up to my back up S12.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on who you are. The 223 is a great caliber for youth, women, cops and the phisically handicaped. 7.62x39 is a harder hitting round more useful for full size adult males. Good luck!

.223 seeems to work just fine for our military who dick-whip jackasses like Bigsal with their "junk" everyday!.... Men and women...

That said - go with whatever you can buy the most mags and ammo for.

Remember - It's not the gun, it's the brain behind the trigger...

Macbeau sends...

I guess it depends on who you are. The 223 is a great caliber for youth, women, cops and the phisically handicaped. 7.62x39 is a harder hitting round more useful for full size adult males. Good luck!

.223 seeems to work just fine for our military who dick-whip jackasses like Bigsal with their "junk" everyday!.... Men and women...

Macbeau sends...

Out of curiosity, why do you allays write "Macbeau sends" at the end of all your posts?

Macbeau sends...

Out of curiosity, why do you allays write "Macbeau sends" at the end of all your posts?

Kinda along the same line of reasoning that I will almost *ALWAYS* end mine with...

:smoke:

SEE?

Macbeau sends...

Kinda along the same line of reasoning that I will almost *ALWAYS* end mine with...

SEE?

BigSal Sends...

ummm .223 or 5.56 will go through a car door like butter. What are you guys even talking about? lol. Seriously, 9mm will go straight through a car door too.

Yeah that's right you have uncovered our evil scheme to...err ...what was our evil scheme again?