After reviewing for sometime what other guys have done with camp axes and tomahawks (from another online forum), a wild burr got in my arse and I decided to buy a damascus forged spiked tomahawk head made by Craig Barr, and make a little project out of fitting a hickory hawk handle to it and wrapping the handle with rawhide.

Here is what the forged damascus head looked liked and as was advertised, by Craig Barr (by the way, he sells these on egay and typically several are available at any one time):

post-4853-079273800 1277089878_thumb.jpg

post-4853-039829800 1277089893_thumb.jpg

Below are essentially in progress pics of the hawk, as I went through the process of fitting the hickory handle to the head (a bit of a nerve-racking process; taking care not to remove too much wood and getting as perfect a fit as possible), staining the handle, polyurethaning it, then wrapping it with rawhide ribbon that I stained with dark brown leather oil stain.

post-4853-023884000 1277090059_thumb.jpg

post-4853-020361100 1277090084_thumb.jpg

post-4853-030656900 1277090102_thumb.jpg

Finally, here are some indoor static display photos of the completed project. I'm pleased with how the tomahawk came out. . . athough leather dying the rawhide proved to be messy as hell. :lol:

post-4853-008851900 1277090226_thumb.jpg

post-4853-003836900 1277090244_thumb.jpg

post-4853-055334300 1277090257_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary
  • Like 6

I was literally JUST talking to my friend about tomahawks. That thing is BAD ASS!!027.gif027.gifThe SOG's are illegal in Cali, but you can buy a Vintage Vietnam Tomahawk. I need to move to Oregon.....010.gif

That is badass!! A few years ago, I ordered (what was advertised as) an "authentic" Vietnam era Tomahawk for a going-away plaque for our Company Commander (our company was the "Tomahawks"). I got it, and it had the right head, and a f#$%ing plastic handle!! The plan was to leather-wrap the handle and add some feathers, but I was sure it was going to look gay.

It actually turned out okay surprisingly. If I could find a damn pic of it I would post it.

Yours is sweet, I love that damascus steel.

Shane

If you don't mind my asking what does something like this cost? I like the damascus steel look.

Well, I'd recommend pulling-up eBay on the internet and performing a search for "Craig Barr Hand Forged." Some hawk heads he lists as "buy it now" and can range from $175 all the way up to $300. Most of his hand forged items though, have a base starting price. . . then people start bidding from there. The other assembled items for this project (i.e., the hickory hawk handle, the rawhide ribbon, leather dye, wood stain, etc.) in total probably ran me about $45 or so.

There are less expensive 'complete' hawks on eBay, which may be what would suit you better. Me, I'm kind of an artsy-fartsy guy and I enjoy customization projects. I also have an appreciation for handmade, hand forged items, so I'm willing to pay more for what pleases my eye.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

Thank You for responding. Your eye for detail both in execution and subject matter is impressive. I have been reading about tomahawks after stumbling on an article of their resurrection during the vietnam war. It the below link allowed? If not mods please remove it.

Military application http://www.americantomahawk.com/The American Tomahawk Company's "VTAC" ("Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk") is in use by the US Army StrykerBrigade in Afghanistan, the 172nd SBCT Team based at Fort Wainwright, the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division out of Fort Lewis, a Recon Platoon in the 2-183d CAV (116th IBCT)(OIF 2007-2008) and numerous other soldiers.The VTAC was issued a National Stock Number(4210-01-518-7244) and classified as a "Class 9 rescue kit" as a result of a program called the Rapid Fielding Initiative; it is also included within every Stryker vehicle as the "Modular Entry Tool set".Steele, David E."Wedged Edges at War","Blade Magazine",September 2005, page 12-19] This design is enjoying something of a renaissance with US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan as a tool and in use in hand-to-hand combat.cite news |last=Tillett

first=David|url=http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90038&page=1|title=Lethal Weapon:Historic Tomahawk Returns to the Battlefield with Some U.S. Troops |publisher=ABC News|date=2003-04-15

accessdate=2007-01-24]

According to military After action Reports, apart from use as a CQB weapon, the tomahawk's modern use includes non-explosive dynamic entry, obstacle removal, lock/hasp removal, opening crates, ventilating fuel drums, digging fighting positions, personal defense, and IED removal.

Gary,

That Hawk rocks. Nice job on the handle as well.

Amongst my SCAdian folk, I'm know as The Axeman. I fight with/throw everything from a pair of Irish/Viking Hawks to a 3' Bearded Axe(w/short sword) and even a 5 1/2' Danish Axe(talk about "knock down" power, lol). I do prefer hammer heads to spikes though. If not made right, spikes can get stuck in most types of armor. Not a good thing in the heat of battle. Hammer heads offer the utility of the hammer and crushing power of a mace.

That damascus work is great. Barr does good work. Have you tossed it yet?

. . . I do prefer hammer heads to spikes though. If not made right, spikes can get stuck in most types of armor. Not a good thing in the heat of battle. Hammer heads offer the utility of the hammer and crushing power of a mace.

Nope, I just completed this project yesterday evening and truth be told, I have no plans to "throw it." Having done a little research myself on the topic of tomahawks prior to committing to purchasing the Craig Barr head, I'm relatively sure that this particular style/shape of head doesn't lend itself terrifically towards a "throwing hawk" (which I hazard to guess you'd be well aware of, being very experienced in that arena).

Craig offers 'hammer' ended (vice spike) on these hawks as well. I simply favored the looks and potential performance of the spiked hawk; I can pretty much guarantee that this spike would penetrate a kevlar helmet, but as to it getting lodged or 'stuck' in place, that I'm kinda clueless about. I absolutely agree though to the increased utilitarian value, versatility and crushing power that a hammer would bring to close-in battle, but again I simply preferred the spike. ;)

The only question I have remaining for myself now, is whether or not to rawhide wrap the top portion of the handle, directly underneath the tomahawk's head to approximately three inches down. Some hawk owners like to do that, and I can see the benefit of doing so to protect the shaft/handle in the event of missed-strikes. . . but for now I am really enjoying the aesthetic appearance of the hickory wood. Additionally, due to the downward curve of the hawk's actual blade, I tend to think mis-strikes would be a rarity.

:angel:

post-4853-057004000 1277169400_thumb.jpg

post-4853-043755300 1277169480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

ARCHANGEL -- FANTASTIC looking hawk!!! Thank you for sharing the exceptional photos of it! Yes, that curly maple handle looks spectacular, as does the Barr damascus steel head as well.

:super: . . . :super: . . . :super: . . . :super: . . . :super:.

Edited by Gary

Gary,

Amongst my SCAdian folk, I'm know as The Axeman. I fight with/throw everything from a pair of Irish/Viking Hawks to a 3' Bearded Axe(w/short sword) and even a 5 1/2' Danish Axe(talk about "knock down" power, lol). I do prefer hammer heads to spikes though. If not made right, spikes can get stuck in most types of armor. Not a good thing in the heat of battle. Hammer heads offer the utility of the hammer and crushing power of a mace.

Rhinohide?

Gary,

Meant to add I use a 51/2 foot poleaxe.

Edited by Dancing Bear

Rhinohide?

Lol, no, I'm not a knight. :angel:

Danish Axe rocks :devil:

Archngel, nice job.

Headshot, I like the tactical hawks but am leaning toward a roofing hatchet instead. That hammer thing again, lol. Right now I carry a 3' "Kukri" style machete and an old straight handled Military shovel in my truck. Similar "balistics" to a top spiked, double bitted axe, lol. And no question of legality.

If you are going to drop money on a tomahawk, go with RMJ tactical.

HomeGraphicTooBig.jpg

If one is seeking for a tactical hand axe/tomahawk, I give you a big PLUS 1! There really is none better than the products that leave RMJ Tactical's shop.

:super:

I wasn't interested in a tactical hawk. ;)

What would be the point of sweat'n over and completing a edged weapon project, if one were not to display it, right?

Well. . . the sword hangers arrived in the mail yesterday that I had purchased off eBay, so I "hung my hawk" on the corner wall of my 'man cave' for permanent display. . . and for whenever it may need to be called upon. I went with the simplest and cleanest looking hangers I could find (they happen to be stylized/shaped like bullets), and I placed it high enough so that young kiddies couldn't readily grab a hold of it.

I had purchased a small magnet that I had intended on mounting on the wall, behind the hawk's head just to be sure that it could not dislodge itself in the event of a minor earthquake. . . but the hangers are holding it very securely in place so I'm going to forego installing the magnet.

Here's what she looks like:

post-4853-089486000 1277569926_thumb.jpg

post-4853-083673500 1277569940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary