Classy, as well as all the others here have a good point. Ergonomics. I tried a buddies single stack 1911, and it wobbled in my hand. It was too thin. I tried a buddies Israeli Eagle 50 Cal, and it felt great, but was heavy and the way the spent shells ejected gave me a bleeding forehead. I bought a Glock 10mm, and was able to put bulls eyes out of the box, felt great. I put a Pachmyer slip on grip with finger grooves (old model) on it with some tritium sights and love it. If you can get the tritium sights, go with one color in front and a diff. color in rear. It's too easy to get cross-centered with all of them the same color in low light. Maybe double stack 1911 would have worked. I never have shot one. I have never liked the feel of revolvers. I don't know why. Pick a good gun that fits you, and grow with it. The FBI picked 10mm for a reason, after $&$ of testing. Best fitting gun of all time, bar none, is my German Lugar. It becomes a part of you. Not very practical.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GLOCK!!!! you will not regret it...

Okay, since the Op's there, I'll go off topic for a sec... The AK (7.62x39) round is proving to be much more effective @ long distance due to it's weight, so regardless of how accurate the AR is it'

I loved the 1911.. I was a snob for quite a while, but reliable? No. They can be quite fussy about mags and ammo.   My Springfield XD45 is boring. No matter what I feed it, or how I abuse it, it alw

Posted Images

Ok. what about rifles, I know that the Ak is a reliable gun but its accuracy is bad. The ARs are accurate, but they jam like a bitch. Do the H and K's sovle this problem? Oh and what does the gas setting on my saiga have to do with the type of ammo, low/high brass, that I shoot?

I prefer the 1911 as I dont like plastic in somethings, and this is one of them. I don't like them, but Glocks have the reliability hands down. I have seen torture tests where they went hundreds of thousands of rounds with very minimal problems, that was painful

The Glock-17 is the most proven of the polymer guns & has the most after-market options.

All I can say, is it's the most reliable gun I've ever handled. Being the first polymer pistol, it went through the most rigorous torture tests of any pistol to date & passed with flying colors.

I think there's a reason LEOs & military carry them so often.

I want a baby eagle next. They're a lot prettier than the Glock & their Israeli, so I'm confident that their good guns, but The Glock's PROVEN its self well beyond any other polymer pistol to date & trust me, if you want to carry it as a CCW, you want a polymer gun.

My G-17 is lighter than my friends Sig & I have 12 little friends at my disposal.

Add to that the Glock-clip making it conceal well & it's a win-win. :D

I could go on & on, but wont.

The Glock-17 is the most proven of the polymer guns & has the most after-market options.

All I can say, is it's the most reliable gun I've ever handled. Being the first polymer pistol, it went through the most rigorous torture tests of any pistol to date & passed with flying colors.

I think there's a reason LEOs & military carry them so often.

I want a baby eagle next. They're a lot prettier than the Glock & their Israeli, so I'm confident that their good guns, but The Glock's PROVEN its self well beyond any other polymer pistol to date & trust me, if you want to carry it as a CCW, you want a polymer gun.

My G-17 is lighter than my friends Sig & I have 12 little friends at my disposal.

Add to that the Glock-clip making it conceal well & it's a win-win. :D

I could go on & on, but wont.

i have the glock 17 and a baby desert eagle in brushed chrome. i love the glock and carry it daily. the desert eagle fits in my hand perfect but is a little on the heavy side. cant say to much about the accuracy of the eagle sence i never shot it lol. i got mine from a local dealer that said he has been sitting on it for almost 14 years and sold it to me for his cost so its still brand new. didnt know if its worth anything like that so i havent touched it lol.

I saw only four reply posts that contained the correct answer to the OP's original question:...most reliable handgun?

ANSWER: A revolver.

You guys can argue and debate all you want, but if you believe a semi-auto pistol is "more reliable" than a revolver. . . you're smoke'n too much weed.

:angel:

• Like 2

I prefer the 1911 as I dont like plastic in somethings, and this is one of them.

Au contraire. Most of the current crop of 1911's I have had the chance to examine lately come with those shitty cheap-ass polymer mainspring housings in them. :eek:

What's up with that crap? :chris:

I prefer the 1911 as I dont like plastic in somethings, and this is one of them.

Au contraire. Most of the current crop of 1911's I have had the chance to examine lately come with those shitty cheap-ass polymer mainspring housings in them. :eek:

What's up with that crap? :chris:

It's just like car bumpers being made with cheap "reinforced" plastic.

The debate is still open for discussion however after hours of research on the matter i'm stuck between the .357, .45, .40(XD SC), and glock. All are reliable handguns in every aspect, but now the next phase is to handle the weapons themselves and see which is better. I have shot every one of these guns in the past, but I never thought about how it would feel for my personal use. Because once you own a gun and a concealed carry permit you should have that gun with at all times in my opinion.

Yes, he did state "most reliable" in the title but then he immediately expanded the criteria to several other categories which opens up the door to just about any type of handgun depending on which category one places the most importance on, and one's own opinion. Its not a revelation to many people here that revolvers are "usually" inherently more reliable, if that is the only criteria.

I've been thinking about this myself for awhile. In my mind, I came down to 1 gun in 2 calibers: SIG P226 in .357SIG or 9mm.

I had made up my mind about the 226 in 357SIG, but then I saw that SEALS use the P226 in 9mm. I figure if it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for me.

I like Sig cause they fit my hand pretty nice, the lifetime warranty, and the fact they're made about 30 mins away from where I live. You know, the think global shop local thing(I'm actually joking about this last one, I hear this tripe all the time at work and I die a little inside everytime I hear it).

I'm still lusting over the .357SIG, but at over a buck a shot, I just don't think I'd shoot it enough to be truly onfident in my abilities. Someday.

The Sig P220 is pretty nice too, and I like the looks of the Springfield Armory GI Full Size Hi-Cap in .45ACP.

17 is legal to own a rifle now?? well that good I suppose, as far as a handgun, what seperates reliability between a number of handguns isn't actually much. With proper care they will last and function as intended. pistol-training.com offers extensive torture testing and review on glocks, M&P's, H&K's ect. I can tell you this, glocks, M&P's and most of those poly type guns are quite reliable for pistols, but don't go too cheap, stay away from jennings and cheap off name brands. Revolvers are extremely reliable and seem to never fault as well. I have a Ruger SP101 .357mag and two S&W M&P's, one suppressed and all three run flawlessly. I used to own a glock 21C and it never had an issue either, but I switched to M&P's for the fully supported chamber (and spec-ops model for my suppressor)

Ok. what about rifles, I know that the Ak is a reliable gun but its accuracy is bad. The ARs are accurate, but they jam like a bitch. Do the H and K's sovle this problem? Oh and what does the gas setting on my saiga have to do with the type of ammo, low/high brass, that I shoot?

Accuracy is relevant. American shooters in general seem obsessed with the debate over how accurate or inaccurate a rifle is, but it really does not matter as much as everyone says. I don't care if a rifle will put a five shot group in a one inch circle at 100 yards from a bench because I do not shoot from a bench, and I do not shoot at one inch circles. The bench rest is a dangerous crutch that many shooters have a hard time getting away from. It should be used for sighting it, and that's it. You should buy a rifle that is practical, not tactical. The AR15 can be a very practical rifle, but it can also quickly become an overweight clumsy beast. The same can happen to an AK. People spend too much time worrying about what rifle they are shooting instead of how they are shooting it.

• Like 2

I saw only four reply posts that contained the correct answer to the OP's original question:...most reliable handgun?

You guys can argue and debate all you want, but if you believe a semi-auto pistol is "more reliable" than a revolver. . . you're smoke'n too much weed.

I bet my G-17 is more dependable than your revolver on the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, & 18th shots. ;)

And that's with the short mag...

ETA;

That being said, when Pops works night shift, my Mom sleeps with an S&W snubby .38 under her pillow.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

Those who talk about revolver reliability have never held a GP 100 and watched it hang between cylinders and jam.

All machines CAN fail.

As for the rifle question... The H&K delayed roller blowback system is more reliable/fewer parts to fail than the AK 47 gas piston system, and capable of sub-MOA accuracy. But it is expensive, and modifying it requires skill to keep the gun "timed" correctly.

Buy a cheap piston AR and a cheap AK... shoot what you can afford to become competent with, but have both in the toolbox.

IMHO

I'm in a similar boat as the OP. (Due to where I live, not my age)

I already know I'll be picking up a G19 as my first handgun, no question. Done the research, handled them, etc, etc. But after that, I'll definitely be molesting as many handguns as I can to see what I like.

Bout says it all right there. I have NEVER EVER had one single problem with any revolver in all of my 42 years of life. Every semi-auto I have ever had has jammed at least once, and that would be all it takes to get yourself killed in a real crisis situation. 5 shots of .357 mag in the hands of a competent shooter is enough for all but a hoard of zombies. Reality says that once you start the shooting, people run and run fast! Bad guys usually are cowards, not macho movie bad guys.

Reliability goes to the revolver, hands down.

G17 OR G19, (my pref)

XDs, and M&Ps are nice but I dont like the metal mags as much as glocks polymer ones. The most important factor is how the pistol fits and fires in your hand. :super:

Well I thought I would add my .02 to the debate here. The kid said in one of his earlier posts in this thread (courtesy of the old man). Well with my being the old man, he will probably get something out of my current arsenal. This will probably be my Taurus .357 magnum in titanium. It has a 2 inch barrel with a 7 shot capacity, it is short, light and a great CCW gun. Plus he is good with it. He leans towards the XD .40 SC because I sleep with mine and always CCW it.

If I am buying, and I know I will, my input would be the only one that matters, right?000.gif

Hell I may even buy him an XD just like mine just because of the old adage of "one is none, and 2 is one". Plus I just might have a few .40 rounds laying around.018.gif

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions so far. I've been shooting a Sig Sauer P226 for almost 20 years. I like the 15+1 rnd capacity, the full frame, and that the only safeties are internal. The accuracy is incredible and the weapon is dependable. What else could you ask for?

Well I thought I would add my .02 to the debate here. The kid said in one of his earlier posts in this thread (courtesy of the old man). Well with my being the old man, he will probably get something out of my current arsenal. This will probably be my Taurus .357 magnum in titanium. It has a 2 inch barrel with a 7 shot capacity, it is short, light and a great CCW gun. Plus he is good with it. He leans towards the XD .40 SC because I sleep with mine and always CCW it.

If I am buying, and I know I will, my input would be the only one that matters, right?000.gif

Hell I may even buy him an XD just like mine just because of the old adage of "one is none, and 2 is one". Plus I just might have a few .40 rounds laying around.018.gif

+1, 7 rounds of .357 or .38 or .38+p is a lot of options and will get it done.

Just wait, eventually you will have your top 3-5 choices and you can pick the one that best matches your shoes that day. That said, at least you have a cool enough dad to hook you up with a hand gun, and the Taurus isn't a bad first gun at all. Hurry up and get a good job so you can get them all. :killer:

• Like 1

As someone stated above, a good quality revolver is probably the most reliable choice. Of all the handguns I own, my 30 plus year old Ruger Security 6 in .357 / .38 ( bottom right)is my favorite and which I carry often. As far as semi automatics go, one of the original "wonder nines" the CZ 75B (bottom left)in 9mm is in my opinion one of the best semi's around (Google it and you'll see how many countries use it in their Military and Police Departments). I'm not much into "plastic" but there's nothing wrong with Glocks which have proven reliability. For comfort in warm weather I carry either a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm (middle left), a stainless Charter Arms bull dog snub in .44 (top right) or a Llama minimax in .45 (top left...too bad they don't make them anymore).

post-23566-004851200 1277474561_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortyd044