Well at least......goodbye, New York! :super:

My girlfriend and I are finally moving to South Carolina. Some of you guys who know me, know I've talked about it for the last year or so. Well we both just finished up the last days of our 2-week notices at work; last night for me, today for her. So we'll be making the move next week. This is gonna be a busy week, with finishing packing up, cleaning up the house, and with all the "Oh, we have to get together before you leave" gatherings :cryss: . I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

I can't wait to enjoy the freedoms of non-restrictive gun laws, like we have here in NY. The thought of just walking into a gunshop with an SC driver's license, and walking out with a handgun a few minutes later makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. No waiting periods, no permits, no waiting on a judge to add it to your permit before you can take possession of it, etc. No wonder I never bothered getting my permit.

.......and to all the southerners.......we promise not to be "those people" from NY. Ya know, the "Up in NY, we do it like this..." kinda people. I think we'll have an easy time making the transition into becoming southerners. We just have to get used to some of the sayings you guys use. The friends we're going to be staying with there until we find a place and jobs, forwarded us an email about southern sayings. They said "It's a funny email.....but it's also true. Study up and learn the lingo!". :D

Another plus? I'll be a stone's throw from Carolina Shooter's Supply!

Well, I just wanted to share the good news with my forum homies. Send some good vibes our way, please! :D I hope everything works out for us, and we "make it" down there. We already have a few of the nay-sayers spitting the whole "You guys'll be back in a few months" bullshit <_< . They've apparently drank large amounts of HATERADE.

Congratulations! I moved from New York to Texas 17 years ago and never looked back. As for those saying you'll be back in a few months, why would you want to go back to oppressive taxes and severe infringement of liberty?

Carolina Shooter's Supply has such fast shipping, practically everyone in the U.S. feels like they're within a stones throw of them. Really though, you are making a great move!

• Like 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My buddy grew up around there for a good part of his life. He loved it and always talked about going back. He was out swimming once and saw a huge dorsal, damn near started walking on water to get bac

Excellent choice! I miss Charleston, Lived in Hannahan. Lotsa GREAT people!

You'll get used to the heat, eventually. It'll probably take you a few months, you'll just walk around in a daze, because its so fucking hot and humid, and then you'll be alright. I'll probably be hea

Posted Images

Scout Joe hit it right on the head. You had better be ready. It's been 100 degrees and up for the past few days here in NORTH Carolina. Been really fun for me with my AC being out of order. :ded:

Fortunately for me my shop is in a cool basement, but Racegal's been increasingly hard to live with....thank god I finally got it going yesterday. When it's over 130 degrees in the attic, even with the attic exhaust fan running full blast, open doors and windows with fans blowing in every room really don't help much.

When you do get a place, make damn sure it has adequate AC and keep it maintained. Welcome to the land of the free. The people are definitely much nicer (most of us), as was said above.

Luckily, our friend's place where we're staying, they have central-air and everything is maintained by the neighborhood's maintenance crew or something. But you're right, we'll have to make damn sure we have something similar when we find our own place.

Congratulations! I moved from New York to Texas 17 years ago and never looked back. As for those saying you'll be back in a few months, why would you want to go back to oppressive taxes and severe infringement of liberty?

Carolina Shooter's Supply has such fast shipping, practically everyone in the U.S. feels like they're within a stones throw of them. Really though, you are making a great move!

Thanks, man.

I know, right? I don't see any reason to come back here (other than to visit on holidays, and whatnot)

I'm almost afraid that even saying the name of gun parts outloud......that a few minutes later, the delivery guy will be dropping off parts from CSS at my doorstep. :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the South!

I moved here from WNY 14 years ago, and haven't thought about moving back since. A few years from now when you go to visit your family, you will wonder how you ever lived in such a Draconian state.

That's how I look at it.

........and now that I think about it, everyone who's saying "You guys'll be back", are people who have never moved from NY for any period of time. The people who did leave, say the same thing you said when they come back to visit. "Haters gon' hate", I guess. :boxing:

• Like 1

You'll get used to the heat, eventually. It'll probably take you a few months, you'll just walk around in a daze, because its so fucking hot and humid, and then you'll be alright. I'll probably be heading up to Norfolk VA in the winter, maybe I'll hit you up and we can drink a beer or something on my way up.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the well wishes, fellas! :beer: :beer:

The_Vigilante: Nope. There's no minimum residency requirement required to buy firearms there. As soon as I switch my SC driver's license, I can start draining my bank account. :D

Volkov: We're moving to Surfside Beach. But our friends that live there make random trips to Charleston. A range trip is definitely in order at some point.

Elvis Christ: Yeah, Ithaca has some beautiful places, but your buddy was pretty much dead on. As for why we chose SC; it's just that we already have friends there, which makes things easier. We just both really wanted/needed to get out of NY for various reasons. I've lived in NY for 99% of my 27 years of life, and my girl has lived here ever since she was born. Time for a change.

Bigcec1: No Christmas list made up.........yet. :D Some sort of NFA toy is a must-have at some point. :devil:

Thanks again, fellas. :super:

My buddy grew up around there for a good part of his life. He loved it and always talked about going back. He was out swimming once and saw a huge dorsal, damn near started walking on water to get back to the beach, it was a killer whale.

• Like 2

You'll get used to the heat, eventually. It'll probably take you a few months, you'll just walk around in a daze, because its so fucking hot and humid, and then you'll be alright. I'll probably be heading up to Norfolk VA in the winter, maybe I'll hit you up and we can drink a beer or something on my way up.

I'd be honored to buy you a beer, EC. I'm not a big drinker (maybe 2 times a year :angel: ), but I'll down a few with ya!

The_Vigilante: Nope. There's no minimum residency requirement required to buy firearms there. As soon as I switch my SC driver's license, I can start draining my bank account. :D

Volkov: We're moving to Surfside Beach. But our friends that live there make random trips to Charleston. A range trip is definitely in order at some point.

Elvis Christ: Yeah, Ithaca has some beautiful places, but your buddy was pretty much dead on. As for why we chose SC; it's just that we already have friends there, which makes things easier. We just both really wanted/needed to get out of NY for various reasons. I've lived in NY for 99% of my 27 years of life, and my girl has lived here ever since she was born. Time for a change.

Bigcec1: No Christmas list made up.........yet. :D Some sort of NFA toy is a must-have at some point. :devil:

My buddy grew up around there for a good part of his life. He loved it and always talked about going back. He was out swimming once and saw a huge dorsal, damn near started walking on water to get back to the beach, it was a killer whale.

:lolol:

I would have just started shitting up the water and then probably fainted and drowned. Of all the ways to die, I don't want to be eaten by a fish. :cryss:

• Like 1

I'd be honored to buy you a beer, EC. I'm not a big drinker (maybe 2 times a year :angel: ), but I'll down a few with ya!

I would have just started shitting up the water and then probably fainted and drowned. Of all the ways to die, I don't want to be eaten by a fish. :cryss:

Mammal.

• Like 2

Welcome to our wonderful state!!! I know that you will blend in nicely! Nothin like walkin in to the local gun store, picking out your piece, showing your CWP, and fill out ONE piece of paperwork and walking out with your new toy! If you have trouble finding work 'round there, the Greenville area is really growing! What line of work are you in?

Good luck and may you and your wife have a wonderful, content and peacefull life down here.....oh yeah, and run through as much ammo as you can!! :-)

• Like 2

Mammal.

Woops. :lolol:

Either way.........I don't want to be eaten.

Welcome to our wonderful state!!! I know that you will blend in nicely! Nothin like walkin in to the local gun store, picking out your piece, showing your CWP, and fill out ONE piece of paperwork and walking out with your new toy! If you have trouble finding work 'round there, the Greenville area is really growing! What line of work are you in?

Good luck and may you and your wife have a wonderful, content and peacefull life down here.....oh yeah, and run through as much ammo as you can!! :-)

Thanks man. Yeah, really looking forward to the gun laws (or lack thereof).

Don't say the "W" word to my girlfriend. She's already on my ass for an engagement ring! :eek:

No specific line of work, unfortunately. I'm going to take whatever I can get to get money coming in. Then look around and be more selective. I've been in a warehouse the last 2 years. Large, expensive machinery that can squash you in a heartbeat is fun to play with. :super:

• Like 1

Now you can take the "neutered" stock off your long gun and liberate it too! :)

Best of luck on the escape to freedom.

Thanks man!

Yup, yup!

I already took the thumbhole off my S12, and it's waiting to be sent out to RalphXL.

:super: :super:

• Like 1

Getting closer. We leave Wednesday. It's 98% excitement, and 2% scared shitless. :lol:

Much appreciated too! :super:

Leaving NY would be nice if it was just the Mrs. and I. I think it would be hard with kids and no family to fall back on if need be.

RalphXL

No prob, bro!

I hear ya. My girl and I don't have any kids yet. Might as well get our "wandering" out of the way before she pops out some Shooter Jr's! :D

• Like 1

Heading to Time Warner to turn in all our internet and cable stuff. So I'm signing off. See you guys on the other side! :super:

Getting closer. We leave Wednesday. It's 98% excitement, and 2% scared shitless. :lol:

That 2% is a proper attitude. Show's your taking it seriously.

Best of luck and safe travels Shooter.

Thanks man!

• Like 1

We made it here at about 11ish this morning. The 12-hour drive took about 16 hours! :ded: :ded:

Ah well, it's over now, and we're here! :super:

GRATS!!!! Now, I bet your going to make a purchase once your settled in...what is it going to be??? perhaps another S-12?? :smoke:

My first purchase is going to be a Glock 19. Mainly because handguns are relatively hard to get in NY where I was (not super hard, just too much hassle for me to bother, unfortunately), and it's so easy to get one here. So as soon as I get my driver's license switched over, I can walk into a gunstore, and walk out with a G19. Freaking amazing, considering the laws where I left in NY.

• Like 2

We made it here at about 11ish this morning. The 12-hour drive took about 16 hours! :ded: :ded:

Ah well, it's over now, and we're here! :super:

GRATS!!!! Now, I bet your going to make a purchase once your settled in...what is it going to be??? perhaps another S-12?? :smoke:

My first purchase is going to be a Glock 19. Mainly because handguns are relatively hard to get in NY where I was (not super hard, just too much hassle for me to bother, unfortunately), and it's so easy to get one here. So as soon as I get my driver's license switched over, I can walk into a gunstore, and walk out with a G19. Freaking amazing, considering the laws where I left in NY.

Welcome to the south! now go buy a gun, and eat some chicken fried steak already! :super:

• Like 2

Slight change in plans for my first gun purchase. Now I'm leaning toward the G23. A little bit more bite with the .40cal for when I'm carrying, then I can get the 9mm conversion kit for it for some cheaper range fun (plus I always have 9mm laying around, 'cause of my 9mm AR).

Just need to get my damn driver's license switched over!

I was just over in SC yesterday. I had to go to Augusta for drug testing then crossed into SC to buy some good fireworks for the 4th.

Nice!

Maybe we could organize some sort of forum shoot in the future. Followed by some MW2! :lolol:

• Like 1

oh man I'm jelous! Myrtle Beach has a reputation for having AMAZING gunsmiths and gun stores, never been myself to confirm though.

And yeah, if you ever visit Charleston, twin ponds range is literally on the way!

and as for family, my parents came here from england, we have none over here bloodwise, but in reality we have many people we like just as much! Great people here.

as for fins- only seen a killer whale once (from my boat), but I've been swimming on the beaches before and suddenly 20 fins pop up! dolphin herd! Now I live on a creek I see a dolphin pretty much every day..

On the barrier islands if you go shallow you can see tons of little sharks going into 3 inch water to cross sand dunes (close enough you can kick em!), and theres a group that does later night shark fishing and brings in BIG guys off the beaches.. but your probably never gonna see any unless your fishing for em.

Gators on the other hand... be careful around lakes!

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

Glad to hear the move went smooth so far, gotta post pics of the new place!

You got a nice secluded place, or you near civilization?

Thanks, man. :super:

Well, my girl and I are lucky enough to have friends who've lived here for 5-6 years. So until we find jobs, we're staying with them (and their 2 Boxers, one of which is at about 120+LBS. Extremely huge for a Boxer! I'm thinking he's got something other than Boxer in him)

There's tons of "communities" down here. That's what we're in. A bunch of condos/townhouses/etc. So no secluded privacy. Especially this time of year with the 4th of July. It's so crowded EVERYWHERE. Sucks ass for traffic..........but TONS of eyecandy running around, scantily clad :angel: .

I'll have to snap some pics of their giant Boxer. He's a massive pile meat. Looks somewhat intimidating, but of course is a big boob, who just wants to lick your skin off.

oh man I'm jelous! Myrtle Beach has a reputation for having AMAZING gunsmiths and gun stores, never been myself to confirm though.

And yeah, if you ever visit Charleston, twin ponds range is literally on the way!

and as for family, my parents came here from england, we have none over here bloodwise, but in reality we have many people we like just as much! Great people here.

as for fins- only seen a killer whale once (from my boat), but I've been swimming on the beaches before and suddenly 20 fins pop up! dolphin herd! Now I live on a creek I see a dolphin pretty much every day..

On the barrier islands if you go shallow you can see tons of little sharks going into 3 inch water to cross sand dunes (close enough you can kick em!), and theres a group that does later night shark fishing and brings in BIG guys off the beaches.. but your probably never gonna see any unless your fishing for em.

Hell yeah man, I'll definitely get in touch if we head up to Charleston. Our friend was just up there Friday for doc appointments at a VA hospital up there or something. We were going to go with him, but didn't end up getting up in time.

We were at a pier for awhile today, saw quite a few people pulling up baby sand sharks. At the far end of the pier, you can see the bigger ones swimming around, stealing fresh catches off of people's line. :lolol:

I'm hoping to go try some deep sea fishing at some point. I want to catch something ridiculous :lol: .

Went out to smoke the other day, and saw a bunch of lizards running around. Of course, my yankee-ass was running after them trying to grab them. They're too fast, and I'm too retarded.

It's really a whole different world down here. Still yet to catch any real flack from locals, giving us shit because we're from NY (actually met quite a few locals who are originally from NY, too). Everyone's been real cool.

Glad to hear the move went smooth so far, gotta post pics of the new place!

You got a nice secluded place, or you near civilization?

Thanks, man. :super:

Well, my girl and I are lucky enough to have friends who've lived here for 5-6 years. So until we find jobs, we're staying with them (and their 2 Boxers, one of which is at about 120+LBS. Extremely huge for a Boxer! I'm thinking he's got something other than Boxer in him)

There's tons of "communities" down here. That's what we're in. A bunch of condos/townhouses/etc. So no secluded privacy. Especially this time of year with the 4th of July. It's so crowded EVERYWHERE. Sucks ass for traffic..........but TONS of eyecandy running around, scantily clad :angel: .

I'll have to snap some pics of their giant Boxer. He's a massive pile meat. Looks somewhat intimidating, but of course is a big boob, who just wants to lick your skin off.

Hell yeah man, I'll definitely get in touch if we head up to Charleston. Our friend was just up there Friday for doc appointments at a VA hospital up there or something. We were going to go with him, but didn't end up getting up in time.

We were at a pier for awhile today, saw quite a few people pulling up baby sand sharks. At the far end of the pier, you can see the bigger ones swimming around, stealing fresh catches off of people's line. :lolol:

I'm hoping to go try some deep sea fishing at some point. I want to catch something ridiculous :lol: .

Went out to smoke the other day, and saw a bunch of lizards running around. Of course, my yankee-ass was running after them trying to grab them. They're too fast, and I'm too retarded.

It's really a whole different world down here. Still yet to catch any real flack from locals, giving us shit because we're from NY (actually met quite a few locals who are originally from NY, too). Everyone's been real cool.

Ha Ha, when my family went to NYC years ago my brother was chasing those pigeons around. Of course he was 11... :lolol:

• Like 1

I was just over in SC yesterday. I had to go to Augusta for drug testing then crossed into SC to buy some good fireworks for the 4th.

Hey I'm in Augusta..when I get my Saiga 12 out of layaway we'll have to go shooting somewhere..any good places where you are at?