Saiga 20" vs Ar15 20" accuracy

Looking at a typical AR-15C (colt CAI rebuild) or other $700 20" AR vs the much les expensive .223 20" saiga. I had my heart set on a 5.45 saiga but I just got off the phone with them and they are no longer available, period. Is a $700 AR that much more accurate than a 20" .223 Saiga to justify the extra cost ?

Looking at a typical AR-15C (colt CAI rebuild) or other $700 20" AR vs the much les expensive .223 20" saiga. I had my heart set on a 5.45 saiga but I just got off the phone with them and they are no longer available, period. Is a $700 AR that much more accurate than a 20" .223 Saiga to justify the extra cost ?

What do you want to do with the rifle? If your main purpose is competing, or shooting ultra-precise groups from a bench, choose the AR. If you want a combat rifle, the Saiga is likely to be the better choice. Its accuracy should be more than acceptable for almost all practical purposes. Mine is capable of shooting close to 2 MOA.

You can still get a 5.45 Saiga. If you are willing to spend $700 on a low-end AR, why not $779 on a quality SGL 31?

• Like 1

You can still get a 5.45 Saiga. If you are willing to spend $700 on a low-end AR, why not $779 on a quality SGL 31?

Good point. I guess all my AK's are authentics to their origin, I want one tacitool toy, the saiga 5.45 would have been a perfect platform. Since only the .223 is available I'm considering that. Tacitooling a SLG 31 would be sort of wasteful.

And no no target shooting, and I'm not a great shoot by any means.

Regal..

I had my heart set on a 5.45 saiga but I just got off the phone with them and they are no longer available, period

Whom said no longer available period??!? Was it a dealer or ??

I'm surprised most missed this part of your OP..

If you just want a good battle rifle I second the .223 AK platform..

I got the 7.62x39 and the 5.45x39, my next would be either the 223 or 308.. pending on ammo prices in the next 6 months..

Al

I still think it's (5.45) going to come back in..

They under-estimated the qty that would sell here. :killer:

With all the posts on here about the 5.45 and its current absence RAA would have answered publicly by now if they weren't going to be bringing more of them in.

If they don't, whom-ever has one will be worth some $$.

I was weighing the 308 option for abit, but .223 ammo is coming down to 7.62x39 ammo $ levels.. slowly.. :super:

For what its worth. Below is my Saiga .223 in its current configuration.

I have found it to be very accurate and a great bench shooter. Have had more than one guy at the range mistake it for an AR. 021.gif

post-15138-097781100 1277475265_thumb.jpg

That's a damn nice mount/scope setup you have there Dave, musta been a sheer genius that recommended that combination to you...

I guess I started this thread because I have two AK's that are both authentic to their region but folders, so they are great to look at and I'm sure would come in handy if a war broke out but they really aren't fun for extended target practice. I want a fixed stock semi-auto rifle with optics, vertical foregrip, bipode that's more of a range toy. Obviously the cost of 5.45 makes it a preferred range gun at the moment, and they are probably slightly more reliable than the .223 Saiga? Looking at this .223 AK I might be better off with a cheap AR. Thinking I should wait and see what happens, also just noticing that the cost of .223 vs 5.45 is getting closer by the week it seems.

Thanks for the input.

That's a damn nice mount/scope setup you have there Dave, musta been a sheer genius that recommended that combination to you...

Yeah, I've got a buddy in Texas who turned me on to this set-up. 018.gif

For firearms advise it's hard to beat a Texan.027.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you getting this info from?

As Tritium said, it's Apples and Oranges. If I were you, I'd go by which style of action you prefer. There are a lot of things to consider.

-Not all AR's are 1 MOA wonders and some people spend good money to get them there. Though you do have easier options than the Saiga.

-If you plan on shooting mostly steel cased ammo, you may not even see better accuracy in the AR than the Saiga. In fact, the Saiga will probably feed and digest the stuff better.

-If your topping out around $700, your not leaving yourself much room for mags and ammo with the AR. However if you plan on putting more money into the rifle down the road, you'll get more mileage out of and see better goodies for the AR (changing uppers, etc.)

My S-223 20" shoots 2-3 MOA depending on the ammo. I think that is pretty close to what the discount/casually built AR's do.

My S-223 20" shoots 2-3 MOA depending on the ammo. I think that is pretty close to what the discount/casually built AR's do.

I just spent time over at an AR forum where they all recommend Bravo company usa ARs which supossedly are near colt quality, then I saw a thread where the typical accuracy with their 20" version is 2 MOA. I just can't see spending the extra money on an AR. But since I have a stockpile of 5.45 ammo for my AIMS-74 I'll probably wait till the next shipement comes in instead of getting the .223 version.