firebird mid-barrel compensator?????

That is an impingement surface whose primary purpose is to achieve greater efficiency. It gives the jetted gasses a hard surface to react against, and are more efficient then just jetting against the air.

I am also sure that your surmise is correct in effect, it would redirect some of the gas noise and pressure away from the shooter.

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

Will you need to move the gas block back like on other mid barrel comps?

If your gas ports run light ammo with no issues, one will work fine without the short gas system. I open my ports to 3/32" for the 2 I run on one gun.

I would be very skepticle.

Also it does'nt look like any gas is directed toward they rear shields?

You can put 6- 1/8" holes in the large port opening which is funneled back to the rear shields.

You should try one if you are skeptical before you judge.

Jim knows his shit and doesn't build stuff like this just for looks. He's a very serious competition shooter. I remember talking to him in depth about these babies over a year ago, and about all the barrel porting involved. He's got this down to a science.

I would be very skepticle.

Also it does'nt look like any gas is directed toward they rear shields?

You can put 6- 1/8" holes in the large port opening which is funneled back to the rear shields.

You should try one if you are skeptical before you judge.

You are correct Sir

• 5 months later...

Per the other thread on mid-barrel comps: they seem to introduce significant unreliability to the weapon, (not to mention the fact that they're fuuugly), and honestly, whatever reduction in recoil they offer cannot be worth that, unless your S-12 is just a range toy.

Mine's ready for real "work", (she's far more reliable than most S-12's, let alone one with a mid-barrel comp), should it ever become necessary.. and recoil has been significantly tamed, (high-brass kick reduced by ~25%), at the muzzle:

mk35.jpg

mk37.jpg

mk33.jpg

mk32b.jpg

:smoke:

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Seeing that mine fires everything I load into it, I don't know how much more reliable it could be.

5205035870_442e0c5238.jpg

Ah, but what do you "load into it"? ;)

Does she fire Winchester "Universal" bulk garbage birdshot ~100%? Mine does.

You should read this.

Regardless, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, like all mid-barrel comps, it looks like ass. :(

After the work I have done to it, it will fire (& eject) everything from the cheap bulk pack stuff to the 1650fps slugs that I mostly shoot,,,,,,at this point, about 3500 rounds after the conversion.

I did read that the other day. IMO, the mid barrel comp is not their problem,,,,,holes in a barrel are not going to cause a gun to work at one time and not work at another, the problem would be caused by something that can vary from one time to another. If the guns where setup to shoot any power ammo with a mid barrel comp attached to begin with, something other then the comp is causing the failure as the comp has not changed. I wouldn't draw an overall conclusion about mid barrel comps from that, seeing that the poster's didn't really know what the cause of their problem is and they are still looking into it.

Although you may not like the look of mid-barrel comps, many others don't feel the same. Personally, I would not use such a huge break as you have on your gun,,,,but thats just me,,,,everyone has different ideas of what they like,,,and that's a good thing.

Just to add, the mid barrel comp comes into it's own when shooting higher power ammo, where the felt recoil is drastically reduced. If you shoot mostly cheap low power stuff, it is not practical as the recoil in low power ammo is not a big deal anyway. But for what I mostly shoot (1500fps+ slugs), it works great.