I like that All of Kentucky is armed and 34% have a backup weapon.... (KY per 100,000 Residents - 134,000 Background Checks)

Now I believe it is supposed to be 34,000 but it's not what it says. 134,000 background checks for every 100,000 people. NICE. :)

I like that All of Kentucky is armed and 34% have a backup weapon.... (KY per 100,000 Residents - 134,000 Background Checks)

Now I believe it is supposed to be 34,000 but it's not what it says. 134,000 background checks for every 100,000 people. NICE. :)

Noobie will they (Kentucky) have to get REchecked every time they apply for a NFA item?? Because Knob Creek is the biggest Machine Gun show in N. America isnt it?? And they hold that twice a year now. And aside from MG's they are sure to have loads of SBR/SBS's suppressors, etc. All kinds of NFA goodies.

Noobie will they (Kentucky) have to get REchecked every time they apply for a NFA item?? Because Knob Creek is the biggest Machine Gun show in N. America isnt it?? And they hold that twice a year now. And aside from MG's they are sure to have loads of SBR/SBS's suppressors, etc. All kinds of NFA goodies.

Yeah, I think these are somewhat skewed because that would mean that in that time frame there were 5,782,146 background checks in Kentucky.

To accommodate that in 16 months it equals 361,384 checks each month or over 12,000 each day. There would have to be several hundred people staffing the NICS system just to accommodate gun buyers in Kentucky.

I think 34,000 per 100,000 is more realistic.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
Kentucky implemented monthly NICS checks on concealed weapons

So yeah they actually did have that many. Plus the article is only reflecting the past 18 months of NICS checks.

In FL they skip the NICS if you have a CCW right?

And that does not count actual purchases of firearms, because I normally buy several at the same time (hey they charge $5 for the background check).

So yeah they actually did have that many. Plus the article is only reflecting the past 18 months of NICS checks.

And that does not count actual purchases of firearms, because I normally buy several at the same time (hey they charge $5 for the background check).

They don't skip the background check, only the waiting period.

wow... I can't believe that PA is all the way down at #25. As many sportsmen as there are that live there, it's really hard to believe. Of course, the extreme East and West ends probably make up 75% of the population, and that would make that number make more sense to me.

Wow,

Texas's poor showing surprises me!!

Thanx man

For Oregon being an end destination for the hippies & it being really liberal I'm surprised we outrank Texas...

Let alone New Hampshire & Connecticut.

What's up with that?

16, New Hampshire

Population: 1,324,575

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 14,522

19, Connecticut

Population: 3,518,288

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 13,783

24, Washington

Population: 6,664,195

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 12,508

26, Oregon

Population: 3,825,657

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 12,059

29, Maine

Population: 1,318,301

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 11,528

33, Texas

Population: 24,782,302

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents: 9,936

Edited by Paulyski

what about face to face transactions? stuff like that..

All this really tells us is what state is currently arming themselves via methods that require NICS background checks..

Doesn't take into account states with a longer history of buying guns or states that have ways which don't involve NICS.

Interesting statistic, but not without a few factors to consider.

Yeah, I bet VT is higher up the list than its ranked here. You can do face to face sales easily, no CCW exists, you can just carry. I'm sure VT is packing major heat. As for CT ranking #19, shit, that's probably my fault. Without me it would be down around 40 :lolol:

Each background check does not necessarily equal only 1 gun bought. If some states do background checks for every firearm sold, then their results will look huge, like how Kentucky has more background checks run than it has people. I'm not sure how their background checks work or what, but if you need to run one for every purchase it will skew the results compared to other sates.

For example here in Iowa, we can get a "Permit to Acquire Pistols and Handguns." You go to the sheriff's office, pay 11 dollars and they will mail it to you in a few days. Once you have it you are good for an entire year of however many guns your wallet will allow you to purchase. The permit also covers purchases for shotguns and rifles as well. My best was a couple years ago, I bought 5 firearms within a year. So, my 1 background check became 5 purchases of firearms.

Also in Iowa private sellers don't have to do a background check. They are supposed to make sure you have a permit to acquire, but that doesn't always happen in practice.

hrm, according to those #'s FL has roughly 1.392million guns floating around, and about 900k CCW's are in the state....that's not too bad, but disappointing...

You mean 1.392+ million new guns in the past 18 months. Not to shabby if you ask me. Last thing I had a NICS on was in September of 08, so I did not get to count for my state :cryss:

like how Kentucky has more background checks run than it has people. I'm not sure how their background checks work or what, but if you need to run one for every purchase it will skew the results compared to other sates.

Read the article. You will see that in Kentucky if you have a CCW permit you will have 12 NICS checks per year done on you. So yeah they are cheating big time.

I submit that this is far from the complete story as to how well armed the citizenry of a particular state is. It is one indicator of RECENT trends which are abnormal because of the buying frenzy. I suspect that a lot of people in the less armed states were playing catch-up during that period while in some states that are already well armed there may have been fewer purchases simply because they were already more saturated with weapons.

Wow,

Texas's poor showing surprises me!!

Thanx man

OH believe me, those numbers don't show the true number of armed Texans. Plus if you have a CHL you don't have to get an NCIS check performed when you buy any type of weapon. You need to check the compairsion numbers of CHL holders between states and I think you will find that Texas is either N0. 1 or 2.

Edited by bountyhunter

wow... I can't believe that PA is all the way down at #25. As many sportsmen as there are that live there, it's really hard to believe.

Hey, I'm doing the best I can. 000.gif021.gif021.gif

Give Philly to New Jersey and that number would be a lot better!

• Like 1

They don't skip the background check, only the waiting period.

They skip both in NC.

So this article is facked before it began, they are LITERALLY comparing Apples to Oranges.

More like compairing Apples to Watermelons........

They also failed(cannot) count the number of firearm's passed down from family, purchased through private sales, lost in boating accident's, ect........

Right, Nebraska and Arizona are 40 and 41... Methinks not.

Some states (including Nebraska) have a handgun purchase permit system. You need a permit to buy any pistol, so very few handgun purchases ever involve a NICS check; you get one when you get your permit, which is valid for three years. The permit also exempts you from NICS checks for long gun purchases. You can buy (insert number here) weapons on one NICS check. And shit, Arizona's a gun-owning state if there ever was one. The basic idea behind this study is badly flawed.

Hey now! Let's not be giving Phily to NJ. I live 15 minutes from there. I'm there all the time and its part of the reason I have a CCW and became interested in rifles and handguns!! :)

I'm surprised that it is that low since it easy to get a weapon. Long guns can be transferred FTF. And if one bys from a store its only a 5 minute wait for a background check. Plus PA is a "shall issue" state.

Hey now! Let's not be giving Phily to NJ. I live 15 minutes from there. I'm there all the time and its part of the reason I have a CCW and became interested in rifles and handguns!! :)

I'm surprised that it is that low since it easy to get a weapon. Long guns can be transferred FTF. And if one bys from a store its only a 5 minute wait for a background check. Plus PA is a "shall issue" state.

Sorry Arik, Rendell did a number on Philly's gun laws, taxes, etc. At least it's not Camden!