dragunov-style stock and compliance issues

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a PSL-like AK buttstock. These things are Romanian, so I need to figure out how many parts it counts as (1 or 2), since there is an integral pistol grip.

I may not be able to do this for a 5.45 rifle if the stock counts as two parts. The rifle has 10 foreign parts presently, with the FCG and the buttstock being American. If I use a an East European wood handguard (replacing the OEM Russian handguard), and use the Romanian buttstock, I could achieve compliance by using U.S.-made mag floorplates if the stock only counts as one foreign part.

Does anybody know definitively?

Thanks.

Jim

Don't quote me on this but I would imagine any thumbhole stock counts as only one part. Under the AWB and in ban states a thumbhole stock is NOT considered to be a pistol grip. Therefore, it is only considered to be a stock. Logic would follow that under 922r it is only a stock, and not a pistol grip as well. However, logic and the law are often not parallel so I'd wait for more opinions, or a definite answer.

I always thought a thumbhole was only one part as well, but recently a guy on AKfiles pointed me to a scanned response of letter he submitted to the ATF with this very question. They responded that a thumbhole counts as the two parts it replaces, even though it's only one piece of furniture. Doesn't make sense to me, as the combined trunnion/receiver on a milled counts as only one part, but when does the ATF ever have to make sense?

So the answer from the horse's mouth seems to be, thumbhole = 2 parts. Maybe get a Choate in place of the Romy? Though frankly if the ATF shows up at your house, it won't be to check your 922r compliance on your Saiga... :angel:

well.. it's not replacing two parts technically, saiga's don't come with PGs so it's just a stock replacement (even if your moving the FCG to work with a PG). But I can see them being pricks over it and saying it counts as two anyway.