Here`s another one.

Is it 556.45 or 223? You would think since it`s Russian / European it would be 556.45. On the other hand since it`s exported to the USA it could be 223.There is a small differnce.Some on the other boards say it`s not 100% safe to cross the two.And to tell ya the truth I am not real worried about it,I`ll be shooting 223 in mine. But it would be nice to know for sure. wolfeyes/ john horton

im not sure what it is chambered in, but it shouldnt matter, the rifle should fire either one without any problems, just like a saiga .308 can fire either .308 or 7.62x51 nato without any problems.

however, i saw an artical on gunzone.com stating that you should never use 5.56 in a rifle chambered for the .223 round. their reason was that the 5.56 round created much more pressure, and was likely to cause a failure when fired out of a rifle chambered in .223 (i for one think that is a load of shit)

however, i saw an artical on gunzone.com stating that you should never use 5.56 in a rifle chambered for the .223 round. their reason was that the 5.56 round created much more pressure, and was likely to cause a failure when fired out of a rifle chambered in .223 (i for one think that is a load of shit)

And you would be correct, it is a load.

The difference between the two is in the case web (military being ever-so-slightly thicker, in case a machine gun ignites the round when the bolt is slightly out of battery, and in headspace dimensions, military being slightly larger to accomodate the dirt of combat.

I guess people who write that kind of crap are victims of public schooling. If they had ever had any physics, they would know that equivalent muzzle velocities are the results of equivalent mean time-pressure curves. Higher pressures mean higher velocities, and for a given projectile weight, 5.56 and 223 are pretty much the equivalent. The same goes for 7.62 and 308.