Looking for source for Flinklock pistols

Hey guys,

was wondering if anyone knew of a place that made working models of Flintlock pistols? If they were not to expensive, I might consider getting one for fun. :)

would be funny if you still had a background check on a modern repulica. haha

hey, in NY you can HAVE the blackpowder pistol, but no components for it to fire or be loaded if you dont have it registered as a handgun owner. hows that for violating the shit out of people's rights?

most other states, this isnt a problem and black powder firearms, especially antique black powder anything (anyof you own a civil war cannon?), is legal to possess by anybody ...they went to "fix" that in NY and in the process, violated millions of people's civil rights that are law abiding citizens. I think you are safe if you arent in a shameful state like NY or california, but its always good to check your local ordnance laws. the local sheriff is a good place to ask that question.

I think you might be better off going the route of an antique in firing condition. you can get them CHEAP if you look. you might even be able to make money off of making a hobby out of them.

hahah, wait till you shoot a 72 or 79 caliber flintlock pistol. i would love to see a picture of your face the first time it goes off with cap and ball loaded into it. dont hurt yourself buddy :)

I just saw a very cool looking flintlock pistol at Gander Mountain the other day...

real working flintolock action.. I was like "WOW! COOL!" LOL

I didnt realize they still made them anymore.. go figure!

:smoke:

my dad is into the whole blackpowder thing

and has like 12 or 13 different six shooters laying around

<some loaded!!!>

and 4 or 5 rifles

the rifles are unbelieveable

six shooters very very accurate

bulls at 40 yards with 44. pistol!

Edited by Suicide_Bopper

I actually have a group of biker friends here in Pennsylvania that have multiple felony convictions. Thier home defence choice is the breech model of black powder pistols. They swear that the newer versions are crap, or at least no fun to shoot. Most of the favorites are in .44 and pack a hell of a punch as long as you keep them dry. It is still illegal to own a black powder firearm if you are not "allowed" to own a firearm. But the manufacturers will ship them right to your door or to a P.O. box if necassary. I do not recommend violating state or federal law, I am simply passing on my current knowledge of this subject. Instead of pushing the cap and ball and powder and wad of cotton down the barrel, the breech model allows you to break open the pistol like a modern day wheel gun and load it with a small pusher or your pinky finger instead of a long rod. You can store a loaded BP pistol for a long time and in any position until it is needed to fire, the key is to pack the cotton, or "wad" very tightly over the powder and primer (cap) so it doesent fall out.

I have fired many of these pistols in the back yards of the above mentioned individuals, and I highly recommend buying one if you like a big BANG, alot of kick, rediculous target damage and a whole bunch of smoke. There are a few mail order magazines that specialize in BP pistols and (from what I've seen) these magazines offer the greatest variety, the highest quality and the lowest prices. Im sorry, but I do not remember the names of these magazines. But I am dead serious, go to a specialty magazine store and look for the ones dealing specifically with black powder revolvers, the cult followers of PB pistols is huge and the in depth articles will blow your mind. 99% of the pistols including the breech model are brand new recreations of the antiques. You may also like the old push-it-all-down-the-barrel model, but thats up to you.

i'll say one thing......the musket caliber pistols are just plain scary to shoot for two reasons. one is the obvious ridiculous kick they have, and two, you can watch this .79" ball fly downrange and basically wreck anything it hits. I cant imagine fighting a war with one, let alone actually getting hit with something like that.

also, what pistonring is saying is true. you can get these what are they....32 caliber? derringers that take cap and ball, but, whats even more curious, is these same BP derringers have barrel inserts availible for them to shoot 22LR out of. i think the whole package can be had off gunbroker for 100 bucks or something like that. pennsylvania state law prohibits antique firearms from being concealed and carried without proper licensing, but this isnt the case with every state. check your laws regarding antique firearms.

I would just think BIG and find the biggest bore you can find.....

69cal vs 41cal

post-83-1114797923_thumb.jpg

post-83-1114798107_thumb.jpg

oh yeh, the two above pictures.......top one is a nearly 200 year old gun, can be found for 2-600 dollars depending on condition, and the lower photo is of a gun that was appraised in the 4000$ range....

you CAN get many many black powder antiques well under 200 bucks, and I am only using the above pictures to illustrate to you differences in whats out there. both guns are rifled, and the lower gun is as accurate or more accurate than a tricked out ar15 (so the buyer informed me). the upper one is similar to a small cannon, and the recoil is comparable. its accuracy is better than a lot of muskets, as it is rifled. there arent many rifled big bore muskets out there in pistol form, so you will probably be better off looking at smoothebores.

the reason i stress these oldies is they NEVER will go down in value, and are almost ALWAYS resellable. new kit guns fall immediately in price upon firing them. I guess its about how much you want to spend and what you are looking to get out of it. ive found 25 rimfire revolvers for ten bucks before. ive found BP shotguns up here for 75 bucks. its really about what you want and how you go about finding it, really.

I might have to dig out my flintlock 79cal and shoot it a couple of times after posting this. BP is something that gets in your blood and doesnt go away.

• 3 months later...

my dad has a black power pistol thats old as hell. the action works but i'm not too sure of the bore condition. my mom bought it in a garage sale back when i was a little kid and it's laid in the gun cabinet ever since. its a 45 cal with an octagon barrel. or it may be 50 cal. i can try to get more info on it if ya'll like and see if he may want to sell it. i don't see why he wouldn't b/c it's just collecting dust and he will never use it.

let me know!