Any interest in buying Brass 12 gauge shells?

Okay moderators, if this pushes the "ammo" leeway button a bit too far, let me know and that is fine. However, I don't think this thread should step on any vendor's toes.

I called Bernold, at Gad Custom Cartridges in Medford, Wisconsin this afternoon and discussed ordering some buck shot loaded brass 12 gauge shells from him. He said he could do it for me, but obviously, the economies of scale would bring the per shell price down if the order could be larger or if there is a higher demand. I think the brass shells should offer a good alternative to deforming standard shells and the brass shells should be good for dozens of reloads, thus markedly reducing the cost of shooting them once you "suck up" the initial cost of the first order, which is the first time you are buying the most expensive component of the round, the brass cartridge.

I have no stake in this and I am prepared to order 125 shells from him to fund an initial run for me. My question is, does anyone have any interest in this??? Now, the shells are expensive the first time around. They likely will be at least $40.00 for a box of 25. Again, however, once you pay that initial cots, Bernold can reload them again and again for you at about $14,00 per box (both numbers are not exact).

He can do buckshot, slugs or other loads, but I am interested in buck shot. I have no financial interest in this other than to throw it out to you and to try and get the per shell cost down a bit.

If you are interested, add a post so noting and on Tuesday of next week, July 5th, I will tally up the responses and let them know if there is any significant interest in ramping up some production for us. Once he has an idea of what the production numbers might be, he will be able to figure the actual price and if we/he commits to going forward, you will be able to order directly from him

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
  • Like 2

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no issues with "deformation" of shotgun shells in my SAIGA.

lock the bolt back, inset mag/drum fully loaded, let the bolt strip the first round into chamber. that leaves the mag with one less shell and enough room in it so that the shell isn't deformed from the bolt. if I was going to insert a loaded mag in it without chambering a shell, I would leave one round out of the mag, so that the bolt doesn't crush the shell.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I don't know if this just applies to the .410 but I noticed with mine, the plastic shells can get chewed up just cycling and cause a jam but when I use the Golden Bear metallic shells nothing like that ever happens. Maybe it's because the .410's are skinnier/flimsier. If I had an S-12 I'd be in but even as cool as some brass cased buckshot sounds, my mossy 500A doesn't need the brass (shit, it doesn't need anything as there is a bulge in the barrel that I can't explain to myself, but that's another story) or the sXs.

Maybe I'll change my mind, a box of 25 would be cool just to have, I like collecting unique things, like the door breaching slugs I have but don't need (blew up some trees with them though :killer: ). I suppose if I needed to rescue my neighbor they may come in handy and I'm pretty sure that was the excuse I gave myself for ordering them in the first place.

I'd go for a box if they were 3" magnum. I really don't see a point in doing 2 3/4" so it will feed in the drums since its something you'd want to keep loaded in the house. Probably most folks want the most bang for the buck in a factory mag.

Sounds sweet, but make sure he knows the max length that can run from a stick mag.

Like the surprise you get when you first realize all the SB .00 2 3/4" buckshot is roll crimped, so way longer than the 2 3/4" star crimp & won't run in the drums.

The max length should be the same as an unfired Remington 3" magnum.

Edited by Paulyski

The brass are better suited for break barrels o/u not for semi auto.. the rim gets beat up when used in semi shotguns they are to expensive to destroy

The idea for these isn't heavy continued use, but to be able to keep buckshot as the top round in your mag, resting against the bolt & not have it deform, so it feeds the second round.

It's a really good idea IMO.

I keep a slug there, but this option is even better.

Other than this, your options are the slug, Silver bear steel shell birdshot, or keeping the bolt held open. None of these are the perfect solution for HD.

For HD, .00 buck is where it's at.

The only question is whether or not the sharp edge of the cartridge will be more likely to hang up on the forward edge of the extractor slot. If it's smoothened (the slot), I would assume, no.

ETA:

I'd be down for a box later this month & a couple more next month...

(Broke-ass syndrome, but I love the idea)

Edited by Paulyski

I am guessing that the thought here is to get an Ammo that is for serious defense use and specifically long term storage, loaded in the magazines? I like the idea and I would be in for a couple of boxes in 00 buck or number 4 Buck and slugs as well. I have been thinking of looking into getting some brass cases from the Cowboy Action Cats for just such an application.

I hope this comes to fruition.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

FWIW Midway carries 2 1/2" Magtech Shotshell Hulls in brass for reloading. I'd post a hot link but the mods here are touchy about that sort of thing. $23 for 25

1657554245.jpg

Edited by wired

FWIW Midway carries 2 1/2" Magtech Shotshell Hulls in brass for reloading. I'd post a hot link but the mods here are touchy about that sort of thing. $23 for 25

1657554245.jpg

Shiny! I like it. But, how many Saiga owners have really had any problems with buckshot being deformed to such a degree that it is not loading? I have been loading federal tactical OO and even after sitting for several months without shooting, I have had no problem with the second round loading, which would be the most likely to be flattened out by long periods pressed against a closed bolt.

Hello, Mr. Judge

Put me down for two boxes.

I have some of the Magtech hulls (cases?) but have never loaded them. They are too long to run in the drums unless trimmed. They will also likely get badly "dinged" on ejection, although that should not render them un-reusable.

That being said, I feel I need some for the top shell in those H/D mag's! Especially those eagerly awaited double-stack stick mags.

Resspectfully,

-guido

Hello, Mr. Judge

Put me down for two boxes.

I have some of the Magtech hulls (cases?) but have never loaded them. They are too long to run in the drums unless trimmed. They will also likely get badly "dinged" on ejection, although that should not render them un-reusable.

That being said, I feel I need some for the top shell in those H/D mag's! Especially those eagerly awaited double-stack stick mags.

Resspectfully,

-guido

How do the magtech hulls crimp?

I did a little research on these and it seems you don't need any reloading tools other than a broomstick and nail to reload brass shotshells. Who knew? Might have to try some out.

If it's not to late, put me down for one box.

Honestly, if your looking for any kind of bulk order you should consider posting on other higher volume boards as well. Not only saiga owners would be interested in this, over the years I've seen plenty of posts looking for exactly what your offering, for many differnt reasons.

Okay, I am going to send my order to Bernold this weekend. I am buying four boxes and with my payment, I believe Bernold is going to place a significant order for the brass shells. My initial order should be enough to get the ball rolling for several buyers. If you want any shells, please contact Bernold directly. Again, I am not doing this for any profit on my part and I have no business association with Gad Custom Cartridges. In fact, Bernold told me he has all the work he needs, so this is a special project; he is not looking to produce hundreds of boxes of shells for the general shooting public.

As I understand it, you can order buckshot or slugs, or, I believe, a combination.

I suggest you reference that you learned of the order on the Saiga 12 forum, so Bernold will immediately know why you are contacting him.

Contact information is:

Gad Custom Cartridges

N2143 County Road C

Medford Wisconsin 54451

Phone: 715-748-0919 (ask for Bernold)

E-mail: info@gadcustomcartridges.com

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/

If this post violates any standing business relationship with vendors, please delete the contact information and if that happens, you can pm me for it.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I am mailing my check this afternoon. So, the ball is rolling. If you are interested, e-mail or call Bernold and place your order.

OO buckshot is a bit more than # 2 shot (I don't know why and i did not ask), so I went with four boxes of # 2. I don't order any slugs, but I may call him and change my order a bit, to get one box slugs and leave the others # 2 shot.

WJ

Just curious, has anyone gone forward with ordering the brass shells, or do you plan to do so?

I sent in my money for my order, so there will be a production run of some yet unknown number of boxes of the shells.

WJ

Hello, WJ

Are you getting your shotshells loaded with smokeless or black powder?

It appears Bernold will do either, I've been told that black powder is the "traditional" means of loading these brass shells, for some reason.

I think I would prefer the smokeless, if he would do them that way.

TIA,

guido

Hello, WJ

Are you getting your shotshells loaded with smokeless or black powder?

It appears Bernold will do either, I've been told that black powder is the "traditional" means of loading these brass shells, for some reason.

I think I would prefer the smokeless, if he would do them that way.

TIA,

guido

Good question. I did not address which powder I wanted in my order. I will contact him today, as I would prefer smokeless also.

Just curious, has anyone gone forward with ordering the brass shells, or do you plan to do so?

I sent in my money for my order, so there will be a production run of some yet unknown number of boxes of the shells.

WJ

I will give him a call on pay day. Thanks for setting this up!

No problem. I am glad we have found a source to buy brass shells. While the Silver Bear zinc shells are a nice option, #7 1/2 shot just is not large enough, in my humble opinion, for a home defense load.

If they feed properly and work well, I really like the idea of being able to have them reloaded over and over again. Plus, brass shells just look cool!

WJ

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from Bernold today. He is working on my shells and should ship them next week.

He advised me that he has only heard from one member of the forum. So, if you are interested, please contact him and either give him your order or let him know if you anticipate placing an order in the future --- I am just trying to help him plan out this limited production run.

(Again, I have no financial stake in this. I have already paid for my shells, so my cost will not go down even if further orders are placed.)

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge