My siaga/M14 mag conversion

I bought some M14 mags at the last gunshow. Another vendor told me they were Tiawanese but I bought a 20 for $20 and a 30 for $20 brand new. I picked the M14 mag because it seemed to match the stock magwell better than the HK91 mag.

So far the only mod Ive had to do to the rifle is relieve the trunion so the mag can go in far enough for the bolt to engage the round. The only mods Ive done to the mag is weld and grind a lug in the front for the mag catch, grind and weld a catch for the rear, relieve the feed lips slightly so the bolt wont drag and bend the feed lips to get proper feeding.

I havnt shot it yet but I have been cycling by hand. Right now Im battling minor issues with the round seating consistantly in the mag. This could be an issue of a cheap mag but I dont have any experience with m14 mags so I wouldnt know. The mag fits nice and tight just like the stock mag so Im very happy with that.

The best thing about this conversion is the stock mags still seats and cylcles as it did before. With a little more work I'll have the bugs worked out but so far Im very pleased at the ease of this conversion. I can get some more pics and dimensions later if anyone is interested.

279897.jpg

279898.jpg

Edited by johnnymceldoo
I bought some M14 mags at the last gunshow. Another vendor told me they were Tiawanese but I bought a 20 for $20 and a 30 for $20 brand new. I picked the M14 mag because it seemed to match the stock magwell better than the HK91 mag.

So far the only mod Ive had to do to the rifle is relieve the magwell so the mag can go in far enough for the bolt to engage the round. The only mods Ive done to the mag is weld and grind a lug in the front for the mag catch, grind and weld a catch for the rear, relieve the feed lips slightly so the bolt wont drag and bend the feed lips to get proper feeding.

I havnt shot it yet but I have been cycling by hand. Right now Im battling minor issues with the round seating consistantly in the mag. This could be an issue of a cheap mag but I dont have any experience with m14 mags so I wouldnt know. The mag fits nice and tight just like the stock mag so Im very happy with that.

The best thing about this conversion is the stock mags still seats and cylcles as it did before. With a little more work I'll have the bugs worked out but so far Im very pleased at the ease of this conversion. I can get some more pics and dimensions later if anyone is interested.

I would definitely be interested in seeing some more pictures and learning how you did this conversion. M14 mags arent hard to come by and if there is hardly any modification to the gun itself then I would like to try it.

Thanks! :D

Im sorry when said magwell I meant the underside of the trunnion. I had to cut a pocket on each side of the trunion so the mag could slip up high enough. This isnt a problem if you have a mill and carbide endmills. The beauty is that even though you cut a pocket for the new mag the stock mag still fits as normal as did before.

I might get more detailed pics tonight once I work out the details.

WOW, I like it, like I say to rick-16 , you really doing something good , please

post pics and how to on the mags, well what can I say, you did a good job for

what I can see, hope everything works ok, man thanks for the pics and info.