37 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Rifle Shooting Position?

• Standing/Offhand
    • Sitting
    • Kneeling
    • Prone
    • Other

Sorry if it's off topic, not sure what forum this would go in. Just out of curiosity, what position do you like most for rifle shooting?

Standing. It's the base upon which a rifleman must be constructed...

I like sitting. I really don't know why, I just do. I sit with my left knee up in front of me to rest my left arm on and help steady the rifle. Any time I've ever actually shot at game however, I almost always stand.

I voted prone, but it depends on the target distance really. For me its less than 50 yds, standing, 50-150 yds, sitting, and 150+, prone. I like the concentration and breath/heart rate control of taking longer shots. Its a form of meditation for me000.gif

Prone is without a doubt the most stable, but the least practical unless you are in a fixed position. I voted for kneeling as the best compromise position - much more stable than standing, but still able to break and move relatively quickly.

Whenever I can get the range to my lonesome, I'll go in front of the benches and shoot kneeling/prone, particularly when shooting the steel at 200 & 450 yards.

But, most of the time I'm limited to the bench or standing/offhand.

If I need to see you drop, prone.

If I need a touch more clearance, or it's too muddy to practice prone, sitting.

If I'm just screwing around, practicing, or had no other choice, standing.

I see little use for a bench other than sighting in, or practicing for belltower or window work.

If I had to pick one I'm most proficient with, Low kneeling. I've gotten better groups with that than prone. Probably means I'm doing something wrong in prone... Either way, really good with a low kneel.

Chickens at 200 offhand is the first round in BPCR......Which allows me to prove just how bad an offhand shot I am. From 200 to five hundred im ok sitting..Beyond that I much prefer prone.

For deer hunting I like sitting..mainly cause it keeps me from "fidgeting" so much.

I guess 'sitting' would more accurately describe it for me, although it's sort of a kneeling position. Ever since my old air rifle days I have preferred to sit with right foot crossed under me, sort of 'indian style', and my left knee up in front to support my left arm and the rifle. Also like bench shooting while on a low bench like one of those triangular folding tripod like chairs.

I generally shoot standing,offhand. That is the hardest and with limited range time available, it keeps the skill the sharpest. If I can hit it offhand, I can drill it prone!

I also like to use a tree to brace against while standing. Sure just standing out in the open works fine too, but when I shoot I do it for leisure mostly, and want to hit as good as possible. I'm pretty good freehand but anyone knows you can be more accurate by bracing against something. I've had all the training I need over the past 35 years or so, now I'm more interested in tighter groups.

• Like 1