Magazine & Conversion Questions

I have owned a Saiga 7.62x39 for almost one year now. I've enjoyed shooting it, but have just recently thought about converting it.

I purchased this firearm used and it came with the Tapco Intrafuse stock with SAW Grip, the sporter stock, the factory 10rd mag, and six Promag 30 round Saiga mags.

I am seriously thinking about performing the conversion and have been reading the various guides I have found here and at other places on the internet. It doesn't look too difficult to do as long as you follow directions. I have a large workshop in my garage with various metal and woodworking tools so I think I'll be OK.

The couple of questions I do have are:

1. After doing the conversion, will I still be able to use the Promag and Factory magazines I already own with the rifle?

2. Can anyone recommend someplace to buy a conversion kit or give me a better detailed description of what parts I need to purchase.

I've found a bullet guide kit at carolina shooters supply for around $20 that comes with everything including the bit and the tap. They also sell conversion kits that have a collapsible stock like mine currently has, they want around $200 for that kit. Since I already have the tapco collapsible stock and SAW grip can I just move the saw grip forward and leave the tapco stock in place?

Thanks for any help. Great forum.

Hi,

Yes.. you can re-use the Tapco T6 stock you already have. You wil need to modify the PG however to work properly on the receiver as that PG is designed for SKS rifles.. (mods are posted on here somewhere) or you just buy a new SAW grip for AK's

Yes. Even with the bullet guide you can still use your factory mag and ProMags as well (I did also).

You may need to make a small notch on the front of the mags (removing the factory 'guide') but YES you can.

To run standard surplus/combloc mags you will need to gently file the magazine catch on your rifle (also posts on here how to do that)

Hope this ALL helps abit.

Albert

You can get everything you need to do the conversion from Dinzag Arms.

I highly recommend getting the polished Tapco trigger group, with part of the hammer milled off so you can keep the factory bolt hold open. I would also get a pin retainer plate just because you will have the rifle apart anyway.

As far as furniture goes, I would sell the T6 stuff and replace it with an Ergo grip and Kvar hand guards and Nato length stock(Dinzag sells a bolt-on hand guard retainer as well.) But if you want to keep the T6 stuff it might just be easier to sell or trade the Saiga T6 stock for the AK parts.

You can get everything you need to do the conversion from Dinzag Arms.

I highly recommend getting the polished Tapco trigger group, with part of the hammer milled off so you can keep the factory bolt hold open. I would also get a pin retainer plate just because you will have the rifle apart anyway.

As far as furniture goes, I would sell the T6 stuff and replace it with an Ergo grip and Kvar hand guards and Nato length stock(Dinzag sells a bolt-on hand guard retainer as well.) But if you want to keep the T6 stuff it might just be easier to sell or trade the Saiga T6 stock for the AK parts.

He said he has a large workshop in his garage with a number of tools, so hopefully he has a dremel. If you do have a dremel, you can save some money with a minute's worth of work. Just note the thickness of the bolt hold open and either mark the amount of the hammer that needs to be shaved off of the right side (it's about a millimeter) or just eyeball it. It took me about a minute, probably a few more if I used a file. It's not worth the 20-30 dollars more to get one pre-shaved when you have access to a dremel or even a file, imo, at least.