In my other thread, "light-weight rifle alternative for wife", I was seeking non-AK alternatives for the wife. Lots of good suggestions there, but honestly - the more I think about it - I'd rather have an AK if possible. The problem is, the lightest I could get her Saiga, with the OEM handguard, a K-Var pistol grip, and Warsaw-length stock, was 7 lbs (no magazine). But a fellow on the Warrior Talk forum makes me think I could find a lighter one. Here are the weights he gave me for the rifles in his safe:

All rifles are empty with no mag!!

Side Folding Triangle stock 74 about 5.5 lbs

Tantal (Wooden Stock) 6 lbs

Rommy Side Folder 47 6 lbs

Poly Stocked 47 6.5 lbs

Vepr 9 lbs

On the other hand, I've been told by Fluid Power that his Tantal is heavier than his Saiga.

If I could find a 6 lb. AK-74 - presumably one with a thinner barrel than the Saigas and some other weight-saving measure - then I think I'd be good to go.

Any suggestions? (No SBRs please).

Edited by Jim Digriz

In my other thread, "light-weight rifle alternative for wife", I was seeking non-AK alternatives for the wife. Lots of good suggestions there, but honestly - the more I think about it - I'd rather have an AK if possible. The problem is, the lightest I could get her Saiga, with the OEM handguard, a K-Var pistol grip, and Warsaw-length stock, was 7 lbs (no magazine). But a fellow on the Warrior Talk forum makes me think I could find a lighter one. Here are the weights he gave me for the rifles in his safe:

All rifles are empty with no mag!!

Side Folding Triangle stock 74 about 5.5 lbs

Tantal (Wooden Stock) 6 lbs

Rommy Side Folder 47 6 lbs

Poly Stocked 47 6.5 lbs

Vepr 9 lbs

On the other hand, I've been told by Fluid Power that his Tantal is heavier than his Saiga.

If I could find a 6 lb. AK-74 - presumably one with a thinner barrel than the Saigas and some other weight-saving measure - then I think I'd be good to go.

Any suggestions? (No SBRs please).

The Sar-2 Barrel is thinner and lighter than most of the others, but the receiver and stock wood are much heavier. If you could swap out the Sar-2's barrel you might be able to drop some ounces off your finished rifle.

• 2 months later...

The VZ-58 comes stock at 6.42lbs. The stock is already really light and short to begin with, but recoil isn't bad at all. A skeleton stock or a folder could push the weight well below 6lbs.

Comparing apples and oranges--a 7.62 vs. a 5.45 firearm.

I'm not so sure there's a problem. Yes, they are vastly different rounds, but the post was concerning weight and handling, not ballistic performance. If the discussion were concerning grouping or bullet styles, certainly comparing the two wouldn't be feasible. But if the important aspects are related to the physical characteristics of the weapon, as long as they are in the same class, an effective conclusion can be drawn based on these weapon systems. If I suggested, say, a CZ-75 or a Mossberg 500, you would certainly be right in suggesting that the weapons were too different.

Then again, I was just resurrecting a dead thread while reading through the forum archives, so the whole issue is moot anyway. :)

I found a number of ways to lighten up her AK over at theakforum.net, but was only able to implement a few of them, since she is determined to have a red dot (rather than something like the XS big dot), and I'm determined for her to have a flash hider. Her Saiga .223 is the lightest AK we own by far - not that we have a humongous collection - but still a little heavy for her. But she's satisfied with it.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I'm not so sure there's a problem. Yes, they are vastly different rounds, but the post was concerning weight and handling, not ballistic performance.

I'm talking about different models of firearms, not ballistic weights. A VZ58 is not an AK-47 is not an AK-74, in my view, that's all.The thread is titled 'the lightest AK-74.'

• Like 1

I'm not so sure there's a problem. Yes, they are vastly different rounds, but the post was concerning weight and handling, not ballistic performance.

I'm talking about different models of firearms, not ballistic weights. A VZ58 is not an AK-47 is not an AK-74, in my view, that's all.The thread is titled 'the lightest AK-74.'

And a 5.45x39 round is lighter then a 7.62x39 round :angel:

And a 5.45x39 round is lighter then a 7.62x39 round :angel:

An AK-74 is going to weigh the same (if not more) than a comparable 7.62x39 AK, due to more barrel being present.

An AK-74 is going to weigh the same (if not more) than a comparable 7.62x39 AK, due to more barrel being present.

But a fully-loaded 7.62x39 magazine will be about half a pound heavier. My wife loads up her .223 Saiga with the Bulgarian 20 round mag, gaining even more weight savings. If 20 rounds of 75 grain TAP FPD can't get the job done - well, then she can reach for another weapon.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How committed are you to lightening it, put another way do you want a light AK at all costs or only what can be done relative inexpensively and easily? Is a SBR a possibility? Of course SBRs have a lot of blast, noise and flash.

These are probably things you have already considered but you could chop the barrel and instal a permant flash hider. A Bolton gasblock or similar might save some weight by letting you scrap the front sight post. Both will move the weight to the center and a more balanced rifle will feel lighter.

You could remove the side scope mount rail, if you are going to run a red dot mounted some other way its just dead weight.

You could flute the barrel. Cutting and fluting the barrel is where I think you could lose the most weight on an AK.

Look at everything and see where you could trim, flute, slot or otherwise lighten. Some things may be pretty insignificant alone but you start adding them all together and it can add up.

Its expensive but an Micro aim point only weighs 3 oz. I'm not certain the lightest way to mount it, MI handguard, ultimak, or you could look at something like the JT scope mount. For a serious gun you are staking your life on the aimpoint (or something similar is the way to go IMHO.

Expense and effort might make another platform seem more viable. This is just my humble opinion but I think a weapon that someone is totally comfortable with and can handle, run and manipulate very well is better for defense than one that might otherwise be considered a better weapon. That of course assumes both are adequately reliable.

Best luck. If you do any extensive lightening mods lets us see the final product.

I think the triangle stock sidefolder is going to be the lightest AK out there. They're also some of the best rifles out there in the whole AK realm, I really like my Bulgy 5.45 sidefolder. It's a super handy gun, it goes anywhere, works any time and in any condition and shoots remarkably well on paper. Combat accuracy is just as good as any tactical carbine. The only issue I have is it's front heavy, but if you have some upper body strength you can really easily control the weapon.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got it.

Romanian SAR 2 or Intrac MK II.

I compared the barrels and they are thinner.

Do the FSE fake triangle folder. This is now a hard plastic and maintains a triangle shape. Least material I'm sure you can find for a stock.

Do you need the FSB and Muzzle brake? You can find one with a neutered fsb and no muzzle brake. Surely the lightest possible config.

Do a Tapco Galil handguard and an ultimak rail for a micro red dot.

Boom.

You can't beat that.