Hi all,

I have a vector arms stamped AKM that came with synthetic furniture. I felt like a change, and I've always liked the classic AK look, so I ordered a set of the new birch "Timbersmith" furniture from Mississippi Auto Arms. The wood looks very nice, although theres a slight bright spot in the finish on the lower hand guard. Looks like someone might have grabbed it while it wasn't quite dry. Only noticeable upon close inspection, so no biggie. The stock is the best part, nice striping in the grain.

I'm having some trouble with the fit of the handguards, though. The lower handguard required some milling before it would fit. I dremmeled away a bit, and now it fits, although I evidently took a bit too much off somewhere, because there is a very tiny amount of play. Not really enough to bother me, though. The upper handguard is another story. It went on TOO easily. I had to use a wrench to take the plastic upper handguard off the gas tube, which as I understand it, is how it is meant to be. The tapco wood just slid on with almost no force, and swivels all over the place even once installed. It looks like I might be able to bend the retainers on the gas tube so they grab it a bit, but I wanted to get some advice from those with experience before I went ahead with something like that. Not really sure how I'd go about doing it, the steel is not very flexible.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

Edit: I just read that most wooden handguards include some form of metal clip? This tapco piece has none that I can see...

Edited by dae.edorian