My Canted Rear Sight Block

My rear sight block came with a slight left cant, but my barrel is straight. Didn't really notice it until halfway through installing the front sight block on my conversion. It's dimple pressed to the barrel, so there's no easy uncanting without a full removal of the RSB, GB, and FSB.

Definitely not worth all that trouble to me, so I plan on leaving it. My GB is perfectly straight, but my FSB doesn't line up well with the RSB if I line it up perfectly straight. I gave the FSB a slight left cant (the lug is less than a millimeter off center with the gas block lug) to line up with the RSB better, while still looking straight and center to the "untrained eye". I really have to look at it awhile at certain angles for it to look off-center.

I adjusted the sight post to the left some (half a millimeter I suppose) to sight the gun in at the range.

I didn't want the FSB or the sight post to look too far to the left, so I adjusted both of them equally, so they still look pretty much center. Would you do anything different? Has anyone else had a canted RSB on their SAIGA?

I can't remember anybody else having that problem before, guess there is a first time for everything. One thing you might be able to do would be to get a RPK style rear sight that is easily adjusted for windage which could make using the iron sights easier.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with an Arsenal SGL-10. It looked to me like a deformed piece more than assembled wrong. If I knew how bad arsenal was going to screw me over, I would have just sold it and bought a new one.

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one at least. I think I'll leave mine how it is. It is lame that you buy a gun for it's "quality" above the rest.. and it turns out to be no better. I guess it's all just a game of chance when it comes to the AK, lol.. or just expect to get a POS and be happy. :)

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one at least. I think I'll leave mine how it is. It is lame that you buy a gun for it's "quality" above the rest.. and it turns out to be no better. I guess it's all just a game of chance when it comes to the AK, lol.. or just expect to get a POS and be happy. :)

Mistakes will happen anywhere humans are involved. My SGL, otherwise my best quality rifle, has a misaligned scope rail. (It's a good thing I have no use for it anyhow). My Saiga 5.45 _seemed_ to have a canted front sight block (as indicated by the point of impact of the bullets), however, when I switched out the rear sight leaf, the problem went away!

I think we are too eager to convert our Saiga rifles. They need to be carefully examined, and test-fired while in the sporter configuration. If there is a problem, the warranty will then be of use.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I had the same problem with an Arsenal SGL-10. It looked to me like a deformed piece more than assembled wrong. If I knew how bad arsenal was going to screw me over, I would have just sold it and bought a new one.

Can you explain what the outcome was in dealing with Arsenal?

• 2 weeks later...

My rear sight block came with a slight left cant, but my barrel is straight. Didn't really notice it until halfway through installing the front sight block on my conversion. It's dimple pressed to the barrel, so there's no easy uncanting without a full removal of the RSB, GB, and FSB.

Definitely not worth all that trouble to me, so I plan on leaving it. My GB is perfectly straight, but my FSB doesn't line up well with the RSB if I line it up perfectly straight. I gave the FSB a slight left cant (the lug is less than a millimeter off center with the gas block lug) to line up with the RSB better, while still looking straight and center to the "untrained eye". I really have to look at it awhile at certain angles for it to look off-center.

I adjusted the sight post to the left some (half a millimeter I suppose) to sight the gun in at the range.

I didn't want the FSB or the sight post to look too far to the left, so I adjusted both of them equally, so they still look pretty much center. Would you do anything different? Has anyone else had a canted RSB on their SAIGA?

I had the same problem with mine. The fix was easier then I thought. Check out what I did under "Tech Section" dated about June 13,2010. Good Luck!