My wife uncle got busted at a border check for taking his 'medical marijuana' from California into Arizona a couple of months ago. It was a small amount and they let the old hippie go after a few days soaking up the hospitality of the local jail. Didn't give him any grief about his guns either. They were stopping all traffic coming in from California. Don't know if they were doing this at other state borders. This was before the illegals bill that has Obammie and bunch in a tizzy. Seems Arizona actually think they have a drug and crime problem and are concerned with border with California too.

I am not too keen on stop and search stuff at all. Did the OP comply and delete his picture?

Edited by rocinante
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."   Ben Franklin    

I ask this. When do you draw the line?   When they start doing house to house seaches will you give in?    

I'm glad this shit is illegal in Washington State, including sobriety checkpoints or any other kind of random stop. I don't have anything to hide, I just have better things to do than participate in a

Posted Images

Yes, you are being detained, because you have to ask PERMISSION to leave.

We are a police state, just not a really strict one yet.

As vbrtrmn stated , the best thing to do is ask if you're being detained and if you're free to go. That's not asking permission , it's getting your facts straight before determining your next course of action.

BTW: I'm curious as to what would make you think we live in anything close to a Police state and have you ever lived in an actual police state?

• Like 1

I'm glad this shit is illegal in Washington State, including sobriety checkpoints or any other kind of random stop. I don't have anything to hide, I just have better things to do than participate in a roadside dog and pony show. In other words, I'm not the problem so leave me the fuck alone.

Is being tied up for 3-4 minutes not worth catching some drunk person driving down the road that could kill you, a family member, or someone else? Or catching someone bringing drugs into your area that could wind up in the hands of someone you care about?

Nope. I have a serious problem with the ever-expanding and draconian police state represented by these types of "check points". I don't appreciate being treated as "guilty until proven innocent", and if you truly understood and believed in the principles this country was founded upon, you'd agree with me, (and DogMan, et al).

I'm reminded of this bit of wisdom: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I'd say the 4th Amendment qualifies as an essential liberty.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 4

Again, you guys are missing the point here.

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

The sign is a trigger for the potheads to do an illegal u-turn on the freeway and or take the next exit (that goes nowhere) to do a legal u-turn.

The police are watching for both choices and follow up with those who make them.

Again, there is no actual check point on the road that sign is seen from.

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

The sign is a trigger for the potheads to do an illegal u-turn on the freeway and or take the next exit (that goes nowhere) to do a legal u-turn.

The police are watching for both choices and follow up with those who make them.

Regardless, "sobriety check points" do exist, and they're just as fucked up.

• Like 1

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

To say that , is to assume that you actually understand the workings and principle of a checkpoint. I'd argue that you don't understand the way a checkpoint works. Sun Tzu said "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." If you can demonstrate that you understand how a checkpoint actually works I'll cede that you have a valid point of contention. If you can't ,then you're just angry .

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

To say that , is to assume that you actually understand the workings and principle of a checkpoint. I'd argue that you don't understand the way a checkpoint works. Sun Tzu said "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." If you can demonstrate that you understand how a checkpoint actually works I'll cede that you have a valid point of contention. If you can't ,then you're just angry .

nonono.gif

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

nonono.gif

I love me some Sun Tzu.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

• Like 1

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

I think that could be entrapment or putting up a sign just to make someone do something illegal to give them a ticket to make money for broke states.

The lawyers could have a field day with that.

• Like 1

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

To say that , is to assume that you actually understand the workings and principle of a checkpoint. I'd argue that you don't understand the way a checkpoint works...If you can demonstrate that you understand how a checkpoint actually works I'll cede that you have a valid point of contention. If you can't ,then you're just angry .

I've never run a checkpoint, but I have certainly been subjected to a few over the years, so I know how they work from the perspective of a law-abiding citizen who's been detained for no valid reason.

As a libertarian who strongly believes in our Constitution, I strongly disagree with the entire "workings and principle" of being diverted from a road I need to travel along, to a parking lot, (or similar area), then being forced to sit in line with many other innocent drivers, waiting to be questioned, (and possibly searched etc), by law enforcement when I've broken no rules of the road whatsoever.

I have no problem with LEO's pulling over and arresting individual impaired drivers for some kind of probable cause, (weaving, speeding, etc). What I do have a problem with is LEO's rounding up the whole damn highway en masse and then trying to find an excuse to arrest/ticket each driver.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 5

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

To say that , is to assume that you actually understand the workings and principle of a checkpoint. I'd argue that you don't understand the way a checkpoint works...If you can demonstrate that you understand how a checkpoint actually works I'll cede that you have a valid point of contention. If you can't ,then you're just angry .

I've never run a checkpoint, but I have certainly been subjected to a few over the years, so I know "the workings and principle of a checkpoint" from the perspective of a law-abiding citizen who's been detained for no valid reason.

As a libertarian who strongly believes in our Constitution, I strongly disagree with the entire "workings and principle" of being diverted from a road I need to travel along, to a parking lot, (or similar area), then being forced to sit in line with many other innocent drivers, waiting to be questioned, (and possibly searched etc), by law enforcement when I've broken no rules of the road whatsoever.

I have no problem with LEO's pulling over and arresting individual impaired drivers for some kind of probable cause, (weaving, speeding, etc). What I do have a problem with is LEO's rounding up the whole damn highway en masse and then trying to find an excuse to arrest/ticket each driver.

We are not so far apart in belief as it would appear. I can assure you that a "LEGAL" checkpoint is different from what you're describing. I won't go into details but I can tell you that at a legal checkpoint run properly the most you should have to inconvenience yourself with is the display of your license "IF" you are driving the vehicle. Agricultural or Border Patrol inspections are outside of my scope.

You should'nt discount the FACT that there are those who actually believe in the oath's they took.

I can't help myself with quotes...............Here's one : The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is apt to spread discontent among those who are. - H.L. Mencken :up:

• Like 1

Serously , some of you folks are digging for treachery where none exists.

That's what you said.

Alius et idem. :unsure:

It's only different. The only thing that is the same is trolls. I refuse to feed it.

So when faced with fact and logic your retort is "troll" . Your ignorance betrays you. If you have a valid argument then put it on the steps and talk about it. You trying to define my purpose here on a "discussion forum" is way off the topic. Everything I've said is not my opinion on what is, it's fact. Right or wrong it remains factual.............even if you don't agree with it. You espouse some false idea of freedom being only when it goes along with what you believe. Don't get it twisted sport, I did'nt fall off the truck yesterday .

If you have a valid and factual point then bring it. I love a good debate, but give me an opportunity to make you look like an idiot and I'll capitalize without grief because you're asking for it and you know deep down inside you're not ready.

Are there any cops from Louisiana that want to field this one?????

Dancing Bear , this goes alot deeper than Louisiana. These activities are in the area of the 4th ammendment Search and Seizure. There are alot of rulings and precedent regarding stops and they run the gambit from drug interdiction to simple traffic stops. The Supreme Court has conceded that the checkpoint constitutes a seizure but called it less intrusive than a routine traffic stop. In Michigan v. Sitz they went 6-3 that the checkpoints were constitutional. I personally hate DUI checkpoints ( and working them ) but it is what it is, so said SCOTUS.

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

So who's the "enemy", me or you? And assuming you are some kind of LEO, is this how you see yourself vs. the people?

THERE IS NO CHECK POINT!

So who's the "enemy", me or you? And assuming you are some kind of LEO, is this how you see yourself vs. the people?

The quote was relative to the conversation. And although I am a LEO, I look at myself as a man with a job that involves enforcing the law, just as you are a man who does whatever it is that you do. The job defined me when I was a boot; now I define the job. It took somewhere between 3 and 5yrs to come to the conclusion that I am "The people" too.

• Like 1