Here are my yin and yang Daewoo DR-200s. I just picked them up Thursday. The red one was done first, as an urban red digital camouflage. It had a touch more red than I anticipated so I had my other Daewoo done in the opposite color scheme. Clearly, these are not functional camo patterns, but they are fun. The red one takes some getting use to, but after a few views, it grows on you. The black one seems to be at least a somewhat plausible pattern.

100_2365.jpg

100_2368.jpg

100_2369.jpg

They are different!

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
  • Like 7

He Approves!

lego_man800x600.jpg

:up:

Clearly, these are not functional camo patterns, but they are fun.

WJ

It all depends...

Just toss'em in a pile of Legos & nobody'd ever see them.

Edited by Paulyski

He Approves!

lego_man800x600.jpg

:up:

Clearly, these are not functional camo patterns, but they are fun.

WJ

It all depends...

Just toss'em in a pile of Legos & nobody'd ever see them.

Is that Smiley from Evil Ernie possessing a Lego man???

OP:

Who did the paint on those??

I can't say who did the camo because he is not a vendor here. He listed one of his rifles on Gunbroker and I liked his work, so I asked him to do the red Daewoo. When I saw the detail he put into it, I was very pleased, even though, at least initially, the red was a bit overwhelming. He is in Lexington, South Carolina. If anyone is interested in using his services, just drop me a pm and I'll give you his name and contact information.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
  • Like 1

They were Duracoated. I have one more Daewoo DR 200 and it is being cerakoted Sig Sauer Winter Digital. A different guy is doing the third one, so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

The pattern and colors on the third one should look like this:

http://www.sigsauer....0&productid=282

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I always wanted a DaeWoo, especially to compare them to the latest piston driver AR style rifles like the Ruger 556. Warrior Judge give me your take on those rifles. Dependable? Accurate? Easy to clean?

Those are some wild paint jobs. I get ragged on for some of my 'artistic' taste. I have a S&W 915 with a desert tan finish and rattlesnake grips. Mother of Pearl grips on my ruger stainless vaqueros. I hard chromed a Walther P1 (updated P38) and put walnut grips on it I stained kind of a cherry reminiscent of the bakelite grips they used in WWII. Put grips that I describe as 'a piano player in a new orlean cat house' style on my S&W 642 snubbie. Pure saturday nite pimping. They are oriental design in black and red with mother of pearl inlaid flowers. Truthfully (mostly) I put those grips on trying to get my wife interested in shooting it. She gave the revolver the adorable label but still won't go to the range with me.

I bought them, shipped all three off to get coated and just got these two back. So, I have not fired them. The red one was purchases used, with a reported round count of 25. The black one was purchased new in box. Both were test fired with six rounds this week by the gunsmith who did the duracoating. He said they worked great. The third one was also purchased new in box, which is pretty amazing considering that Daewoos DR 200s have not been imported since 1996.

The two shown above have the ACE stock and 922r compliance kits. The black one also has an aftermarket quad rail and has had the factory fake flash hider removed and a real muzzle brake installed. I thought about doing that myself, but when I read the instructions and it said "heat the flash hider to 900 degrees to melt the factory soder. . ." I thought I was better off having a gun smith do that. How in the world would I know it was up to 900 degrees, come on--I'd burn down my house if I tried to get something that hot. Hans did tell me that getting the fake flash hider off was a real bear. The winter digital camo Daewoo will remain factory stock, with the (ugly) thumb hole stock.

I found this article about them in the Oklahoma City Firearms Examiner:

This rifle is the self loading post ban variant of the South Korean military rifle. This particular rifle was manufactured by Daewoo Precision Industries Ltd and imported by B-West of Tucson, AZ. It's marked .223 caliber and Made in Korea. It has the thumbhole type of stock that at the time allowed importation. Today the stock can be replaced with a US made folding variant as long as the proper number of compliance parts are substituted at the same time.

This Daewoo accepts M16 magazines. The magazine catch and release along with the bolt release are of the M16 type. Other similarities to the M16 rifle include the trigger group, a bullet tip windage adjustable rear sight and a modified bolt with carrier.

Design features that appear to have been taken from the AK47 are the gas piston and the recoil spring. Breaking the rifle open is accomplished in a similar manner to the AK47.

The rest of the rifle's features appear to be of Korean origin. The multi lugged bolt has no gas rings and it's slotted for the rifle's fixed ejector. The bolt carrier is shortened and has a milled slot for the attachment of the gas piston and another slot that accepts the charging handle. The front sight is fixed and the rear sight is adjustable for elevation by a finger wheel that's marked 2.5 and 4. Zeroing for elevation is accomplished by a wheel inside the protective ears of the upper receiver.

The only truly negative feature in the deign is the safety that must be rotated 180 degrees counter clockwise from safe to fire. I'm not a fan of the factory thumbhole stock but that wasn't Daewoo's idea.

Functioning is good as is accuracy as long as 55 grain bullets are used to match the barrel's rifling twist. For those looking for a piston driven AR type rifle, this one's been in Korean service for years.

The rifle I've examined that's most similar in design is the Bushmaster Assault Rifle.

They get really great reviews. I watched the gunsmith clean them on Thursday when I picked them up and they looked very easy to break down and reassemble.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

WJ,

Very nice pair that you have!

I'm really glad there isn't a wood stock because then you could comment on liking his wood and his pair :eek:

As for the rifles in question I'm pretty sure you could positively ID them anywhere

Those look great! :super: What does a DuraCoat job like that cost? I have done single color, but I am hesitant to try the whole masking and template thing.

Sending WarriorJudge a PM would likely be the most appropriate manner to make such an inquiry. Just a thought.

:angel: