I screwed the threads up on my DIY

So since I recently moved to a free state, I removed and donated my thumbhole stock to a NY'er to use on his S12. This stock used the regular AK pistol grip screw.

Well, I was too retarded to totally understand NailBomb's recommendations on how to install this specific stock onto my S12 at the time of conversion (totally my fault, because I'm an idiot), and when I removed the stock, I realized I had damaged the PG nut threads on my DIY.

Now the kicker.......I used red loctite to install the DIY, so removing it and buying a new one to replace it is out of the question at the moment.

What do you recommend I do to install the SAW grip that I will be ordering shortly? Should I just power through the damage with the giant screwdriver I have and the new screw for the SAW and hope for the best? (I fully realize this may just further create problems down the road if I should decide to change PG's)

Or is there someway to rethread the hole?

I'm an idiot, so excuse my potentially stupid question. :D

Send off the stock with the DIY still attached and have the new owner of the stock send you his DIY...

Should work out right?

The stock is already in RalphXL's hands...............and the DIY is red loctited to my S12. :D

I would just get a 6mmx1.0 bottoming tap and chase the threads out.

Tony

OK, thanks. Is this something that is readily available at a Lowes or Home Depot?

The stock is already in RalphXL's hands...............and the DIY is red loctited to my S12. :D

Okay, I was under the thought that it was the PG screw that was red locktighted and causing the issue.

Nope. She's just laying here nekkid, with no buttstock and no PG and the DIY red loctited in place.

Yes, you should be able to get the tap at ACE hardware or the like. 1.0 pitch is standard for a 6mm screw, so it's quite common.

They probably won't have a bottoming type though, just a plug type, so you won't be able to clean it up all the way to the bottom of the thread unless you grind the tip off the tap.

However, it should be enough for you to get the screw back in far enough to get it operational.

Tony

Yes, you should be able to get the tap at ACE hardware or the like. 1.0 pitch is standard for a 6mm screw, so it's quite common.

They probably won't have a bottoming type though, just a plug type, so you won't be able to clean it up all the way to the bottom of the thread unless you grind the tip off the tap.

However, it should be enough for you to get the screw back in far enough to get it operational.

Tony

OK, perfect. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it should work, as the threads are fudged all the way down. Just the top of the threading is messed. I never drove the screw all the way in.

I'm an idiot, so excuse my potentially stupid question. :D

So you're trying to take over my title I see.... :lolol:

:lol:

Yeah, bro. My user title should read "The other village idiot".