Unable to remove dust cover

Welcome to the forum.

Did you accidentally switch the covers between the rifles?

They are not that bad to remove. Having two in a row that you can't

remove probably means you are doing it wrong. (sorry)

I would not be modifying the covers to make them fit more loosely.

Then you'll have them falling or flying off.

Practice.

Mine sticks on my 5.45.

I just push button in with right thumb while simultainosly wacking the left side (with rail) with LEFT hand open palm upwards on the cover edge area near the 'rail'.

A swift pop with my hand avoids marking up the cover or the rifle..

Try that trick..

Also make sure your STOCK screw inside the dust cover is down in that hole in the rear trunnion (can also cause woes)

Albert

Try pushing the spring in with the cover off. Maybe something is jammed into the carrier where the spring slides into, not allowing it to go in all the way? Being a spring nothing jammed in front of it should really affect it, but it is possible I suppose. Perhaps the spring itself is too stiff.

Try pushing the spring in with the cover off. Maybe something is jammed into the carrier where the spring slides into, not allowing it to go in all the way? Being a spring nothing jammed in front of it should really affect it, but it is possible I suppose. Perhaps the spring itself is too stiff.

With the cover off I've now tested the spring's flexibility when I push the button forward, and the spring seems to function normally; it is not binding. Once I put the cover back on, however, the button can't be pushed in far enough to release the cover.

I've also swapped covers as a test, with the same results. I don't know what the problem is. I'll phone Cadiz Gun Works to see what they recommend.

But for now I have a temporary solution: having the button pushed in as far it goes (insufficient for the cover's release), with a quarter-turn of a wooden clothespin leg at the rear of the charging handle's slot I can gently pop the cover off. I should always keep a clothespin leg in the Saiga tool kit!

Thank you, all, for your helpful suggestions.

On my 5.45 Saiga the cover sticks much more so than any other AK I've ever took the cover off of. It requires actual effort and work to remove. Now that I think of it I may just fix this tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased two 7.62 Saigas and I have the same problem removing the dust cover, but only on one of them.

I've noticed that the release button works fine and is not the problem. I originally posted that I thought the dust cover on one of my Saigas was longer than the other. However, I re-measured and they are about the same and are interchangeable on my other "working" Saiga with no problem.

What I did notice was a difference in the rear of the rifle where the dustcover comes into contact with the ramp so that it can slide down and lock into place. My working Saiga has much more space allowing the dustcover to guide itself on the ramp and lock in place. On my other Saiga it just makes contact, but enough to stop the dust cover from seating correctly.

I am guessing that not all Saiga rifles are the same with loose Russian manufacturing tolerances. I NOW plan on polishing the ramp to eliminate some of the material and hopefully give the dustcover enough clearance to lock into place. I don't think this is an active thread, but I will post my results just in case there are others who have had this problem with variances in Russian manufacturing.

Edited by Glock82
  • Like 1

I just purchased two 7.62 Saigas and I have the same problem removing the dust cover, but only on one of them.

I've noticed that the release button works fine and is not the problem. I originally posted that I thought the dust cover on one of my Saigas was longer than the other. However, I re-measured and they are about the same and are interchangeable on my other "working" Saiga with no problem.

What I did notice was a difference in the rear of the rifle where the dustcover comes into contact with the ramp so that it can slide down and lock into place. My working Saiga has much more space allowing the dustcover to guide itself on the ramp and lock in place. On my other Saiga it just makes contact, but enough to stop the dust cover from seating correctly.

I am guessing that not all Saiga rifles are the same with loose Russian manufacturing tolerances. I NOW plan on polishing the ramp to eliminate some of the material and hopefully give the dustcover enough clearance to lock into place. I don't think this is an active thread, but I will post my results just in case there are others who have had this problem with variances in Russian manufacturing.

I'd go for it. Any references and pictures are excellent for others who may experience these issues.

UPDATE

I fixed the dustcover seating issues on my Saiga today and I am very happy with the results. The dustcover now seats perfectly and can be installed and removed as it was intended (while sitting very securely).

I used an air drill with a diamond bit to remove material on the ramp of the rifle as well as the recessed space between the ramp (A dremel may work too, but the air drill is much smoother). I removed the material little by little and took my time. I feel that there is enough material on the ramp to allow for some room for error, but I highly suggest you take your time and try your best to evenly remove the material.

After removing the excessive material and polishing the area, I am now looking to apply some sort of finish to area. I would appreciate any suggestions because I am unsure if I should blue it or apply a high quality black paint.

I plan to post pictures soon. Please feel free to PM me should you have any questions.

Edited by Glock82

UPDATE

After removing the excessive material and polishing the area, I am now looking to apply some sort of finish to area. I would appreciate any suggestions because I am unsure if I should blue it or apply a high quality black paint.

Birchwood Casey puts out a paint pen in flat black and gloss black. Pretty good for touch-ups, not so good for covering an aluminum frame on a Ruger Single Six. Don't ask.

2ND UPDATE

Thanks FFLINCHER I plan to order the paint pen, I think it will work just fine for my application. I wanted to update this thread since having converted two 7.62 Saigas to accept standard AK Mags. I realized how useful a standard flat file is in removing excess material and I now recommend that anyone having issues with a tight fitting dustcover first use a flat file. My air drill worked just fine, but a flat file is even more forgiving and is a cheap alternative. I paid about 5 bucks for mine at my local hardware store. It worked great for shaving off material on my mag catch and I am confident it will perform just as well shaving excess material from the "dust cover ramp".

Edited by Glock82