easiest way to make a saiga rifle 922r compliant

I am new here and I'm seriously considering buying a saiga .308 as both a fun hunting rifle and as something to just mess around with, but as I understand it the stock saigas cannot have more than a ten round magazine. I really would like to buy a new 20 or 25 round mag when I buy the rifle, but I know I've got to replace at least one russian part with a U.S. made one, what is the cheapest/easiest part to replace? If possible I would like to keep the original factory stock as I find it aesthetically appealing.

I am new here and I'm seriously considering buying a saiga .308 as both a fun hunting rifle and as something to just mess around with, but as I understand it the stock saigas cannot have more than a ten round magazine. I really would like to buy a new 20 or 25 round mag when I buy the rifle, but I know I've got to replace at least one russian part with a U.S. made one, what is the cheapest/easiest part to replace? If possible I would like to keep the original factory stock as I find it aesthetically appealing.

The handguard. However, in my opinion, better functioning and better handling (the benefits of a conversion) should trump aesthetically appealing.

Edited by Jim Digriz

The handguard. However, in my opinion, better functioning and better handling (the benefits of a conversion) should trump aesthetically appealing.

thanks for the quick reply, I have seen other stocks that come equipped with a PG and adjustable stock without conversions, are these any better or is a conversion the best way to go?

Yes you need one more US made part besides a US Made magazine.

Some go with a handguard..

http://accessoryarms.com/ccstore/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12

Then you can grab a US Made mag here also. (reviews are mixed but there on sale.)

http://accessoryarms.com/ccstore/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=50

If you order (sub-total) is over $40 you can take $3 Off with this (add this first to basket).

http://accessoryarms.com/ccstore/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=53

Grab a Mag or 2 and the handguard and be technically compliant.

You could also buy all the parts kit and convert.

http://accessoryarms.com/ccstore/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=10

Hope this helps.

Albert

Yes you need one more US made part besides a US Made magazine.

Some go with a handguard..

http://accessoryarms...od&productId=12

Then you can grab a US Made mag here also. (reviews are mixed but there on sale.)

http://accessoryarms...od&productId=50

If you order (sub-total) is over $40 you can take $3 Off with this (add this first to basket).

http://accessoryarms...od&productId=53

Grab a Mag or 2 and the handguard and be technically compliant.

You could also buy all the parts kit and convert.

http://accessoryarms...iewCat&catId=10

Hope this helps.

Albert

yea, that helps a good bit actually! I will probably add some more cool accessories later on when I've got a little more cash, but that pretty much fixes my problem right there

can I use these without any changes to the factory rifle? I thought I had to have at least one more U.S made part before using anything over ten rounds? please correct me if I'm wrong lol

Correct, they are three parts so you need to swap out one on the rifle. Hand guard is easy enough.

If you just use a buttstock that adds a pistol grip you would not be legally able to use your factory mag. Complicated huh?

can I use these without any changes to the factory rifle? I thought I had to have at least one more U.S made part before using anything over ten rounds? please correct me if I'm wrong lol

Correct, they are three parts so you need to swap out one on the rifle. Hand guard is easy enough.

If you just use a buttstock that adds a pistol grip you would not be legally able to use your factory mag. Complicated huh?

if I just swap out the hand guard then I can still use both the high capacity and original factory mag right? and yes, very complicated, and a rather pointless law, but one that must be obeyed unfortunately

are these any better or is a conversion the best way to go?

A pistol grip conversion is IMO undoubtedly the better option. The improved trigger alone is worth doing the PG conversion particularly on the 308. I couldn't live with the awkward upward pull. The PG stock combos are almost exclusively an aesthetic mod (and IMHO opinion they look really off anyways). A real PG conversion is a performance modification that improves the weapon in several respects.

A pistol grip conversion is IMO undoubtedly the better option. The improved trigger alone is worth doing the PG conversion particularly on the 308. I couldn't live with the awkward upward pull. The PG stock combos are almost exclusively an aesthetic mod (and IMHO opinion they look really off anyways). A real PG conversion is a performance modification that improves the weapon in several respects.

absolutely, the factory trigger is dismal compared to the converted one, no comparison

I've never modified any of my guns before, I mean putting on a folding stock or a scope is one thing, but this seems almost like rudimentary gunsmithing, I'm a little afraid of attempting then making the whole thing useless

Edited by YEL13

Agreed here big difference in feel and quality..... I would also look into the State laws where you are going to go hunting and find out what is the max mag capacity allowed. Some States only allow 3 round mags others 5 round. If you have a 5 or > cap mag you will have to put a block on the inside of the mag to restrict the capacity...

Another part to consider is the gas piston....

Agreed here big difference in feel and quality..... I would also look into the State laws where you are going to go hunting and find out what is the max mag capacity allowed. Some States only allow 3 round mags others 5 round. If you have a 5 or > cap mag you will have to put a block on the inside of the mag to restrict the capacity...

Another part to consider is the gas piston....

my plan is to use it as a pig gun, as these are labeled as pests in south carolina I assumed that normal restrictions on magazine capacity would not apply, when you think a pig is down and is trying to play dead until you get within 30 yards only to charge you it makes you want something other than a bolt action........

I've never modified any of my guns before, I mean putting on a folding stock or a scope is one thing, but this seems almost like rudimentary gunsmithing, I'm a little afraid of attempting then making the whole thing useless

Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. I was in the same exact position as you about a year ago. I read all the tutorials, watched the videos, and then went REALLY slow on my first one, posting questions when I got confused. It worked out just fine, and now I have much better guns.

The 308 is probably the easiest to convert, from what I hear. (I've done 7.62x39, .223, and 5.45).

Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. I was in the same exact position as you about a year ago. I read all the tutorials, watched the videos, and then went REALLY slow on my first one, posting questions when I got confused. It worked out just fine, and now I have much better guns.

The 308 is probably the easiest to convert, from what I hear. (I've done 7.62x39, .223, and 5.45).

I'll at least keep it unconverted for a year or so to make sure I'm completely familiar with its ins and outs before I get started on any converting, plust it'll probably take a little while to get enough cash together before I could really consider it anyway, but from what you and others have said it seems that converting only adds to the overall performance of the gun so it's something I'll definitely look into later on

its not a matter of how many USA made parts you have but how many imported ones you dont the magic number is 10

its not a matter of how many USA made parts you have but how many imported ones you dont the magic number is 10

I knew about that little bit, from what I understand the saiga .308 has 11 foreign made parts, replace the foregrip or the stock and you're at or below 10 U.S. made parts replacing some of the russian ones, with that I can add high capacity magazines of above 10 rounds!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar situation, in that I've got the .308 with wood furniture and the 7.62 X 39 with synthetic stock. I've got US Tapco gas pistons for both, but haven't got around to making the swap. I do have Csspecs' 20 round steel .308 magazines and Surefire plastic 7.62 X 39s.

My "testfire" conversion is to just remove the hand guards of both rifles and use only the US made magazines. Presto, 10 foreign parts. I hold the front of the magazine when shooting. If I add back the original Saiga magazines (8 round plastic .308 and 10 round plastic 7.62 X 39) the extra three foreign parts don't count against me because the rifles won't be in non-importable form.

Donno why it took me so long to figure that out, I was caught up in thinking of replacement, not removal.

I did buy some cheap imported AK steel 7.62 X39 mags limited to 5 and 10 rounds, and modified them with the screw addition (I believe I got the directions from Dinzag). They, because of their limited capacity, don't break any rules, and I got 'em for about $6.00 each. By not installing a bullet guide and not modifying any foreign magazines in excess of 10 rounds capacity, I should be able to not assemble an undocumented tourist kind of gun.

I like the wood furniture on my .308. Additionally, as an old guy, I believe I am quicker on target with a traditionally stocked rifle than with the AK/AR pistol grips. I will have to do something about the triggers, eventually.

I really like this site and I'm learning a lot. I do have one AK which has the traditional styling and enjoy it as much as my AR 15. I just don't think I'm as quick with them as with the traditionally stocked rifle.