FIRST POST - Need Advice Please....

Hello All,

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while and am very impressed with the pictures that I see of your amazing Saiga-12s!!!:eek:

At the moment mine is still stock and unfired since I bought it about two years ago. I have been wanting to get it converted but just haven't found the right person to do it. I really don't want to try it myself because if I messed it up I would be really bummed.

I live in Broward County, FL and would like a reccomendation of someone that can do it well at a reasonable price. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alan in FL

post-25802-006231000 1278906049_thumb.jpg

I'm slightly retarded and I could do it. I say do it yourself and take your time (its VERY satisfying to see/hold/fire the weapon once you've done the work yourself000.gif). Watch ALL the available conversion videos and read ALL the step by step conversion threads. If you still don't feel comfortable doing it, I'm sure someone on here knows of a good Smith around your area. Good luck!027.gif

PS I can't believe you've had that thing for 2YEARS and haven't fired it yet015.gif!! I took mine out AS SOON as I had it all put together (less than a week after I brought her home).

Welcome to the board. Sorry, but I can't answer your question, as far as conversion (restoration) services in Florida. You might want to be careful about using hi cap (> 5 rds) mags in your Saiga before you convert (restore) it, especially with posting pictures of it online tho. Technically, it is a violation of Federal Firearms Law, provision 922r. It is a silly law and it doesn't seem like it's commonly enforced, but still, better be safe than in federal prison! :)

I would shoot it first. Make sure the thing is shooting well before you convert it, you void the warranty when it's converted. When you shoot it make sure you break it in a little 50-100 slugs or Bucks will do. Stay away from Winchester ammo they don't have enough power to cycle the gun properly. I just converted mine yesterday, the hardest part is waiting for the paint to dry. It's a blast to shoot!!! Good luck

Edited by Rangerguy
  • Like 1

Crap, I thought you said Brevard County. I'm a yankee by birth but don't really agree with whats going on around here but at any point, my secondary residence or dual residency is in Indian River County. Was going to say I fly down there a couple times a year and could help you out with it, tell you what to get before hand and we could make a frankistien...

It isn't really that hard and with all the info on this site its really hard to screw up. There are step by steps on what you need to do, extra things you can do and so forth. We can link you to some detailed conversion threads but it basically comes down to this:

Cut the tang off

Remove the "clinton" plate on the bottom"

Hope that there is a pistol grip nut and if not make one

Drill out those two rear pins (easy for my 308 as they weren't there) and plug the holes

Pull out the old Fire Control Group keeping an eye out for what it should look like assembled

Putt new FCG in.

At this point you can paint the firearm if you'd like or there are other ways to make it not rust on the underside.

You pretty much just need to get the correct tools (dremel, hacksaw, drill) and the correct parts and we can all help you figure out what you need/want out of your firearm. Keep us informed, its definatly something you can do on your own with only a chance of fucking up (really, there isn't much to screw up). PM me if you want some links to some more in-depth conversion threads and all the 922r legalities with parts count. Anybody is capable of converting the gun, just don't end up with some fruit loop looking thing in the end :lolol:

God I miss Florida.

ETA: Forgot about putting new FCG in, I guess that's an important step unless you want a drill rifle...

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix
  • Like 1

All of the above suggestions but trust me, a Tromix DIY trigger guard will alleviate your "hidden pistol grip nut" woes. I didn't even cut my tang although I am quite capable of doing so. I opted for a bolt on M4 style receiver extension. The conversion / restoration really doesn't require much cutting or grinding though. If you were closer to me in FL, I'd lend you a hand. There is a lot of info on this site to guide you and lots of good people to answer your questions. Welcome!

• 2 months later...

Any guy who has the patience to wait two years to fire a new gun DEFINITELY has the patience to convert one!

Hey, I proceastinate....and I have TWO kids under three years old!!!:haha:

Well, it's been about THREE YEARS since I bought my Saiga-12 and I still haven't fired OR converted it:eek: I think I may have found a gun shop that has a guy that can do it. They said that I could buy the parts myself and he could do the conversion.

Sounds good to me!

I just don't have the time to do it myself, but I do appreciate all the words of encouragement and advice.

Alan

I put off converting mine until the DIY kits came about, back then I wasn't comfortable removing metal from my gun.

I had no previous gunsmithing experience what so ever, and very limited experience with a dremel tool, besides figuring out a few new things on installing the new FCG, the conversion took around 15 minutes.

A further mod I would really recommend after converting the gun is cutting the rear tang off and installing an internal receiver block. It opens up your options on stocks by a mile. Plus, it'll fill those holes left over from the conversion back in nicely.

Just remember, this is almost impossible to mess up, especially to mess it up beyond repair.