been recently loading .308 for my saiga 16" barrel. noticed BLC-2 powder makes a nice size fireball and good accuracy. deals on that powder are always on short supply here and been reloading to save money. i was wondering if anyone knows other options than BLC-2 to make that fireball?

The fireball may not necessarily be from the type of powder as how much powder is being used. Not saying I know for sure but the theory I heard is that a typical .308 needs a 20" or better barrel to get a full burn on the powder in the case. When shooting out of a shorter barrel the unburned powder gets burned at or just outside the muzzle where all that oxygen is at hence fireball. You may want to try a lb. of whatever is cheapest that you have loading data on and give it try and expierement a bit.

been recently loading .308 for my saiga 16" barrel. noticed BLC-2 powder makes a nice size fireball and good accuracy. deals on that powder are always on short supply here and been reloading to save money. i was wondering if anyone knows other options than BLC-2 to make that fireball?

+1 - that short of a barrel is gonna make a fireball, no matter what.

Kinda like the Mosin M44 carbines

I'm currently loading up some IMR4895 that hopefully I'm gonna get to try this weekend. I have a 20" though and the fact that the sun will be up bright and hot at 5:30am I'm not expecting to see a fireball but I'll let you know about the accuaracy.

Edited by Desert_Rat

I'm currently loading up some IMR4895 that hopefully I'm gonna get to try this weekend. I have a 20" though and the fact that the sun will be up bright and hot at 5:30am I'm not expecting to see a fireball but I'll let you know about the accuaracy.

with imr4895 and varget i get about 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. with the blc-2 i get 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards. thats why like the blc-2. im usually at the range about 11:00am and the sun is bright and beaming above. with the blc-2 you could still see that fire ball. im beginning to think it makes that fireball because blc-2 is a ball type powder.

Win748 makes a nice fireball. Reloader 15 with Speer 168 gr Match bullets gave best accuracy with my 308 Saiga. IMR means "improved military rifle" powder. Its flash suppressed. For a big fireball with factory ammo, try Silver Bear. It would white out the scope of my 16 inch 308 in broad daylight.

Win748 makes a nice fireball. Reloader 15 with Speer 168 gr Match bullets gave best accuracy with my 308 Saiga. IMR means "improved military rifle" powder. Its flash suppressed. For a big fireball with factory ammo, try Silver Bear. It would white out the scope of my 16 inch 308 in broad daylight.

ill be trying win748 this weekend. ive seen it in stock at the store i go to. i would like to try silver bear but i have never seen that brand in any of the stores around here. thanks for the info

Edited by MasterOfDisaster

with imr4895 and varget i get about 2 1/2 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. with the blc-2 i get 1 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards. thats why like the blc-2. im usually at the range about 11:00am and the sun is bright and beaming above. with the blc-2 you could still see that fire ball. im beginning to think it makes that fireball because blc-2 is a ball type powder.

Thanks for the info, wish I would have known before loading up 150rds of it. I originally bought it for my Garand but I figured I would try with the .308, I like to keep my powder selections simple.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know what kind of Win748 your using. im assuming you mean Winchester 748. its a good thing i only bought a pound of that and tried it. their was no fireball at all. and the powder felt weak. at least i learned that not all ball powders make that fireball.

This has got to be the first time I have EVER heard of anyone looking for load recipies just to make a fireball with unburned powder.

Personally, I load Varget, and IMR 8208-XBR in the .308. I have a 30" barrel on my Savage that my reloads go through... There is NEVER a fireball... I do not reload for my Saiga because it dings up the brass too much. I shoot the steel cased stuff out of that... and rarely shoot it as it is...

With BL-C(2) powder you may want to try magnum primers to give you a better ignition. Magnum primers are key to loads with a ball or granular powder. Whereas the regular or benchrest primers work just fine for the extruded "stick" type powders. Yes, I know this is off topic... You want flash...

If you get a happy flash from BL-C(2), and accuracy is acceptable to your rifle... keep loading it. :up: Why fuck with a good thing? :lol:

:smoke: