Drums and how your carrying them

I recently (yesterday) dumped a ton of my stick mags because of reliability issues. I haven't been using my S12 as much as I used to, but when I have I use mostly drums loaded with buck. I keep my 5 and 8 rounders loaded up with slugs if I want to switch it up. I only have two drums at the moment, but would like a few more. My biggest issue is how to carry these monsters around, any suggestions?

I use a Cabela's Canvas Divided Shell Pouch with the divider removed, and sewn back on the top of the pouch as a lid.

This set up isn't "tacticool", but it is good to hold a drum while I am at the range instead of having them thrown all over the range table.

I recently (yesterday) dumped a ton of my stick mags because of reliability issues. I haven't been using my S12 as much as I used to, but when I have I use mostly drums loaded with buck. I keep my 5 and 8 rounders loaded up with slugs if I want to switch it up. I only have two drums at the moment, but would like a few more. My biggest issue is how to carry these monsters around, any suggestions?

What stick mags do you have that arn't working well? I'm looking for some mag shells(no springs/followers) for a paintball project.

Edited by BpS12

I found that one of my Spec Ops dump pouches fit a MD20 if I made "relief" cuts on the elastic retaining "lips" which I did. (I tried to fit in numerous SAW drum pouches but no luck). I keep a spare MD20 in the outside pocket of a Camelbak HAWG with mags in the main compartment for a Saiga 12 style bug out bag.

Took my son to see the new predator movie this weekend. In the movie the main character used the AA 12ga full auto. I think it was the AA and it had a 20 rnd drum. He had a badass pouch for it that was molle ready and attached to his belt. I think I am going to have one made. I just shot a three gun match on saturday used the saiga 12 in it. It was a pain in the butt carrying around two fully loaded MD 20 drums. I had a drum caddy with me. My 12 year old son.!! HeHe!

Evil-I dig it, maybe the wife would like that job...LOL! unlikely

Bps-already sold, and I even told the guy they sucked, odd.

Moe-thanks for the heads up I think I have one of those around here somewhere.

Chunky-not a half bad idea, I have a rope bag that might just work out perfectly. It is unfortunately in use already, but at $12 a bag I suppose I could afford another!

Fellas I'll be honest vests just don't do it for me, I find the weight distribution to be excellent but the positioning of every thing to always be in the last place I need it. I stick to bags or belt supported gear for the most part.

Looks like TheVestGuy is making a vest soon too.

While I am sure that it will be well made, hopefully it will not feature two in a chest carry, you would come off looking like some kind of weird Para-Military Transvestite.

My buddy Azrial gave me a large canteen cover with shoulder strap for my MD20. Fits a little tight but it does fit and is darn close to the perfect shape.

My pleasure, it is hard to beat the US two quart Canteen Cover for a cheap and well made carrier in a variety of colors and camo.

I found a pouch that works great. Only problem is, I'm not sure if there are any available. It's a German flectar camo

bag. Not sure was it was orignally used for but it's great for Saiga 12 mags. It has 3 inside pockets that will hold

4 stick mags, 8 rounders, if you lengthen the straps on the buckles for the lid (the lid also has velcro so you can get

to your mags quicker if you want) you can get 10 rounders in. Anyway, 4 stick mags and a 20 round drum. I believe an

MD 20 would fit fine, a little tighter than my Promag 20. Or, two 20 round drums fit well also.

So if you see any German flectar bags out there, approx 10x12 and 5 inches thick, GRAB EM!!

You'll have to modify them for belt carry and add a leg strap, but once that is done they're good to go.

I got mine from the sportsmans guide last year, have not seen any since. sportsmansguide.com

Edited by double

Here you go simple mod to a Spec Ops dump pouch. Not too tight of a fit so you can get it out when you need it. The flap can be rolled open and fastened with internal fastex buckle. The tan band going across the inside is elastic and what I made relief cuts for easy access. There is a matching one in the front side. You just can't see it.

DSC02940.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

MOLLE/PALS compatible.

DSC02942.jpg

I kind of see the MD 20 as a "starting out" drum, not something I would want to carry around for reloads. Still, the Spec Ops dump pouch looks workable and I may give it a try.

I agree with you on that although I use the dumper on my rig anyway for dumping empty mags in so I figure I can use it to tote a drum if needed.

I kind of see the MD 20 as a "starting out" drum, not something I would want to carry around for reloads. Still, the Spec Ops dump pouch looks workable and I may give it a try.

I agree with you on that although I use the dumper on my rig anyway for dumping empty mags in so I figure I can use it to tote a drum if needed.

How does the dump pouch work for Saiga stick mags? It looks a bit short for the ten rounders.

Oh, I should add that a lot of camera cases that are made for detachable-lens SLRs fit the drum nicely. One drum or five or six five round mags. And they have nice side pouches for spare shells and stuff.

I use a fifteen-year-old grandson and a handtruck. :blues: All seriousness aside, I've been meaning to take one of my new MD drums over to the Tactical Tailor, which is not far from me, to see how bad a fit it is in a SAW pouch, and how much it will cost to get a few made up if it is a really bad fit. I hate that place; every time I go there I never have any balance on my credit cards when I leave . . . :wub: I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Here you go simple mod to a Spec Ops dump pouch. Not too tight of a fit so you can get it out when you need it. The flap can be rolled open and fastened with internal fastex buckle. The tan band going across the inside is elastic and what I made relief cuts for easy access. There is a matching one in the front side. You just can't see it.

DSC02940.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

MOLLE/PALS compatible.

DSC02942.jpg

This makes me happy:)

I picked up a couple of the 2 quart canteen covers for the MD drums from Ebay (haven't gotten them yet). I also got two of these 1 quart covers for the 12 round drums, got them for only 5 bucks each. They fit little loose but it allows them to slide in and out easy.

4810872113_e9ac384839.jpg

4810872515_dc7bb4e175.jpg

4810873081_8ef6801f7e.jpg

The "Spec Ops dump pouch" looks over sized to me and a lot more expensive, but it is your money. :D

If it were much tighter, you'd have to wrestle with it to extract the drum. It was purchased to use as a dumper for carbine and pistol mags btw. It just happened the drum fit it.

I use a fifteen-year-old grandson and a handtruck. :blues: All seriousness aside, I've been meaning to take one of my new MD drums over to the Tactical Tailor, which is not far from me, to see how bad a fit it is in a SAW pouch, and how much it will cost to get a few made up if it is a really bad fit. I hate that place; every time I go there I never have any balance on my credit cards when I leave . . . :wub: I'll let y'all know what I find out.

It wouldn't fit in the SAW pouches I have.