Alliance Armament

If you really think you need help, take a road trip down to Manassas, VA, I'll help you out; just make sure you have your 922r parts.

Seriously though, if you can use basic hand tools, you should be competent enough to do it your self.

Just be sure to buy the parts from one of our sponsors :)

For the basic conversion you can do:

Fire Control Group - Reduces foreign your part count to 11

Muzzle Brake - Reduces your foreign part count to 10

922r is 10 or fewer foreign made parts.

You'll probably want to get a pistol grip and buttstock as well, which will reduce your foreign made part count to 9.

Great info...and thanks for offer.....I have MD drum, Tapco stock, pistol grip, etc.....Pic of my S12 at top of forum topic

Edited by Saiga Power

The conversion is really simple to do if you follow the instructions and watch some of the videos put together for it. The only thing that took my clumsy ass a little bit of time was installing the bold hold open spring and the shepherd's crook.

I think many people use a retaining plate in place of the crook and once you have the right needle nose pliers for the bolt hold open spring, its not that bad. Other than that, its easy.

You can absolutely do it yourself. Just be patient and go slow. It is a TDE project.... too damn easy, lol.

or, find a member near you that has done it come help you.... better yet, buy him a case of beer and have him supervise the operation. That way you will get some hands on experience. Try to get as much done before that 6th beer, lol. Once you are done, you are not going to believe you were about to send your weapon off to AA for a conversion.

Helpful hint:

Make note to self, and file for use throughput life as a consumer....

The Better Business Bureau is paid by it's members (GASP!!! :eek: ). How hard are they going to slam the guys that write the checks each year? Not too hard if they want the checks to keep coming.

You have been warned about AA....

It is no problem doing it yourself PROVIDED you are somewhat competent with basic hand tools. If not, it can get ugly. See pic below.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Butchered.jpg

Where can I get mine done like that? Looks nice.... not bad for a cross-eyed blind man with no fingers. Ouch....

Was that a special double pistol grip mod or something? Oh my, how creative, I think? :unsure: You have added to the list of terrible things I have viewed after I thought I had seen it all. I guess the DIY trigger guard wouldn't quite cover up the carnage, huh? You guys got some welding time fixing that one....

Do you guys just sit around a laugh until your sides hurt when something like that comes in? I would :lolol:

I don't do much laughing when I'm working. I just fire up the Tig, fix it in a few minutes, and move on to the next gun. Here it is welded up and blended out. Probably took all of five minutes. There was no extra charge over and above the standard conversion.

Butchered2.jpg

I don't do much laughing when I'm working. I just fire up the Tig, fix it in a few minutes, and move on to the next gun. Here it is welded up and blended out. Probably took all of five minutes. There was no extra charge over and above the standard conversion.

Butchered2.jpg

Very nice work! Sent ya a "shot in the dark" email.....

You certainly brought that one back from the dead. Excellent work.

I'm sure you have seen so many come in like that it probably doesn't even warrant a shake of the head anymore. It's amazing the things we get used to seeing.

another AA topic, always my favorite reads.. too funny

How about some pics of an AA conversion for amusement purposes only...well maybe a little education too....:angel:

Got this gun as part of a trade deal....came with WM drum and still cost less than the price of a typical used unconverted S-12...sound like a AA happy customer? :cryss:

Looks alright at first glance...til you're at the range and see it with one failure after another.

post-1293-033284900 1278978627_thumb.jpg post-1293-046599300 1278978654_thumb.jpg

post-1293-078205600 1278978738_thumb.jpg

post-1293-003143300 1278979245_thumb.jpg

Not their bolt work in there....this is a heavily modded bolt. As far as you can possibly go without breaking through. In fact there is a tiny spot that did, that little black spot in there near the neck. (not the blind pin hole)

post-1293-053604100 1278978871_thumb.jpg post-1293-017441800 1278978900_thumb.jpg

A little different approach on the PG bolt....<shrug>...works good though. I don't care for the way they left the top portions of the original factory bottom plate rivets in there to possibly come loose later...:rolleyes:

post-1293-092660400 1278978939_thumb.jpg

Not too crazy about the nuts and machine screws in the old trigger pin holes either. I guess it works but I'd just as soon stick some nylon hole plugs in there if they aren't getting welded closed. They look better and are simpler, and no chance of those nuts coming loose and dancing around in the action.

post-1293-097486900 1278978981_thumb.jpg

post-1293-059124000 1278978999_thumb.jpg

Took a peak inside to see why it had cycling probs...

:eek:

WTF!?

Is this part of their famous "reliability service"?

post-1293-065538800 1278979119_thumb.jpg

Or Russian / Swiss cheese?:unsure:

post-1293-038573100 1278979146_thumb.jpg

What happened was, the two front ports were mostly obstructed by the GB (you can feel them and stick a 90 degree dental pick in them, but not visible from the front without a mirror)

So what the hell right? Just take a drill and slap a couple more random holes in there! :eek::lolol:

Funny shit....lol. First 5 holer I ever saw....sweet huh?:huh:

"Alliance Armament is committed to quality products, excellence in customer service and staying on the forefront of innovation with state of the art technology and resources to make it happen. "

• Like 1

This is great! Even if I fuck it up, I can show it off to people on what NOT to do...Of course, I would claim someone else did it and I was just fixing it for them...LOL. Great job Mr Rumore, five minutes?!! AWESOME!!

DO THE CONVERSION YOURSELF!! I did mine and I never did work like this on a firearm before. Like you, I was looking

for one of the advertisers on this forum to do it for me. But thanks to the great people on this forum that kept telling

me to do it myself and the help from the videos(watch them over and over,until you fully understand what to do)I finally

decided to try it. Like you, I was nervous about hacking away metal on my gun that I just paid for.

Just watch the vidoes alot, once you fully understand what must be done, then go slow and be patient. If you run into

any problems the guys on this forum will walk you thru it. And yes, it's a great feeling knowing that you can work on

your own gun, and it's your baby. IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN. I love my Saiga 12 that I converted myself and now I have

a much better understanding of the AK platform. +1 billyjoebob...no one will put the love and time into your conversion

like you will!!

Edited by double

another AA topic, always my favorite reads.. too funny

How about some pics of an AA conversion for amusement purposes only...well maybe a little education too....:angel:

Got this gun as part of a trade deal....came with WM drum and still cost less than the price of a typical used unconverted S-12...sound like a AA happy customer? :cryss:

Looks alright at first glance...til you're at the range and see it with one failure after another.

post-1293-033284900 1278978627_thumb.jpg post-1293-046599300 1278978654_thumb.jpg

post-1293-078205600 1278978738_thumb.jpg

post-1293-003143300 1278979245_thumb.jpg

Not their bolt work in there....this is a heavily modded bolt. As far as you can possibly go without breaking through. In fact there is a tiny spot that did, that little black spot in there near the neck. (not the blind pin hole)

post-1293-053604100 1278978871_thumb.jpg post-1293-017441800 1278978900_thumb.jpg

A little different approach on the PG bolt....<shrug>...works good though. I don't care for the way they left the top portions of the original factory bottom plate rivets in there to possibly come loose later...:rolleyes:

post-1293-092660400 1278978939_thumb.jpg

Not too crazy about the nuts and machine screws in the old trigger pin holes either. I guess it works but I'd just as soon stick some nylon hole plugs in there if they aren't getting welded closed. They look better and are simpler, and no chance of those nuts coming loose and dancing around in the action.

post-1293-097486900 1278978981_thumb.jpg

post-1293-059124000 1278978999_thumb.jpg

Took a peak inside to see why it had cycling probs...

:eek:

WTF!?

Is this part of their famous "reliability service"?

post-1293-065538800 1278979119_thumb.jpg

Or Russian / Swiss cheese?:unsure:

post-1293-038573100 1278979146_thumb.jpg

What happened was, the two front ports were mostly obstructed by the GB (you can feel them and stick a 90 degree dental pick in them, but not visible from the front without a mirror)

So what the hell right? Just take a drill and slap a couple more random holes in there! :eek::lolol:

Funny shit....lol. First 5 holer I ever saw....sweet huh?:huh:

"Alliance Armament is committed to quality products, excellence in customer service and staying on the forefront of innovation with state of the art technology and resources to make it happen. "

Thanks a million.....saved me some heartache..... Best site around....some scary shit there:)

^ Before anyone asks.. no, having 6 ports does not overgas my gun. She actually runs pretty damn perfect, with any and all ammo, on gas setting 1, (factoy puck also customized).

However, don't try this at home. The work was a completely custom job done by Mike at Lone Star Arms, and far more was done to my gun's gas system than simply increasing the number of gas ports. ;)

If you are worried about messing it up, nothing's wrong with having a reputable builder do the work. I got mine from Red Jacket; I like it, and it's warrantied. If something goes wrong, I don't have to try and "fix" it myself.

• Like 1

HAHA yo Cobra that AA gun is good from far...far from good heh

and PostA > nice ports, looks nice'n clean.

Btw I'm sure if you shot one of the smiths on this site a holler you could find a decent turn-around time. I'd rather wait a couple months to have a pro work on my gun then vise versa. whats a couple months when its a gun you will enjoy for years to come.

Edited by PRISONSHANK