Bringing Stuff Like Knifes, Sights and Mags from Overseas?

So, a good buddy of mine is currently serving in the US Army in Germany. During his time over there, he has acquired some cool toys such as Kobra, ACOG and EOTech sights, KBAR and other knifes, AR mags and body armor. He's coming home for a leave next month and would like to bring this stuff home with him. We were recently Skyping and he asked me whether there could be any issues with him brining this stuff with him in his check-in luggage. I have no idea and so, I promised him that I would ask around on some forums. I mean, I know that some of you guys served overseas and must have had experience with this.

So, are there any regs or issues that he should be aware of? He really doesn't want his stuff confiscated by customs, etc. I am curious about this myself, as I will probably be traveling to Russia next year and thinking about picking up some stuff such as 8 rd Izzy Saiga 12 mags over there. Thanks!

Thats a good question, as far as I know, the only thing regulated are weapons, accessories I think are fine?? I'm no expert though....I suppose he should be fine as long as he isn't trying to bring something over that is outlawed like Russian Ballistic knife ect.

Edited by Vultite

Thats a good question, as far as I know, the only thing regulated are weapons, accessories I think are fine?? I'm no expert though....I suppose he should be fine as long as he isn't trying to bring something over that is outlawed like Russian Ballistic knife ect.

Huh?

Is that outlawed in your neck of the woods?

So long as it's not an actual firearm or explosive device, one should be g2g.

Huh?

Is that outlawed in your neck of the woods?

So long as it's not an actual firearm or explosive device, one should be g2g.

Nationwide ban in 1986 (Ballastic Knife Prohibition act of 1986)

I can tell you this, if he cant carry it with him and it has to be packed away...dont! Have it shipped and get insurance. My brother came back after a few years in korea and packed a few things away and even bubble wraped em. Well some one was real rough with it as they all came back in pieces.

I would ship it insured, of course. Too many lost and pilfered bags in the airlines to take a chance. I would still want to check the legality of shipping said items so customs does not have any issues. I wonder if Germany has anything like a UPS Store that would give GOOD information. If he insures it , but is confiscated, I doubt insurance would pay...Hell, I don't know.....Good luck!!

So, what if he brought the three scopes in his carry-in luggage? Can he get into any shit with that? I would imagine that they would look suspicious on the x-ray inside his backpack and they would have to visually inspect them, but can these be confiscated for some dumb reason?

Spetznaz,

He should'nt have a problem with the scopes at all in his checked or stowed luggage. If he's used the scopes while firing they'll probably open the bag and check because the sniffer will alert to the trace residue. Still not a problem but always the chance someone will turn it into what I call a GBI ( Great Big Investigation). The knives are a different issue. The best possible scenario for him would be to ship his knives. Not only to avoid dealing with airport security , but to avoid thieving Ramp Rats who may want to tax him for his gear. I did my purgatory time at our Cat X airport for not playing well with the other kids.

Are the scopes U.S property ACOG,EOtech? If not does he have proof of purchase? Just asking.

I thought the same thing especially when I read AR mags and body armor.

He bought all that stuff from people. Don't know the details. Will have to ask him. I do know that the body armor is actually late 90's Serbian.