I recently got myself a Saiga .308. As I'm rather new to the AK platform.... and as it is ever important to have a backup parts kit. I need to know... what internal parts should I look to get a hold of to put in my kit? What traditional AK parts are transferable? And where do you get your parts from? Thanks for the help.

If you convert/restore it you can use any standard AK type stock and pistol grip.

ProMag (24 rounds) $30 and csspecs (member here) $45-50 (10-20 rounds) makes Saiga 308 mags..

AK Handguards can be put on using special adaptors and small mod's...

You can also get the Tapco Intrafuse w/rails for this that will just 'bolt-on' about $40-45..

Internal parts are Saiga Specific. If you change the internals for the FCG (aka trigger set) that would help abit.

The bolt and firing pin are going to hold up to for awhile and some people have had success with AK74 parts..

Browse the 308 section pages.. and tech sections...

Hope this helps.

Al

I recently got myself a Saiga .308. As I'm rather new to the AK platform.... and as it is ever important to have a backup parts kit. I need to know... what internal parts should I look to get a hold of to put in my kit? What traditional AK parts are transferable? And where do you get your parts from? Thanks for the help.

The parts would have to be original Russian parts, once you start to change out the original parts for USA made parts you will have to play the 10 or less game called 922r compliance....

There are no real essential parts that you can buy. If you change out your mag (example) to a USA mag you will be in violation of 922r. You can not change out just the mag you would have to change out at least 2 more original parts to USA parts.

In accordance with ATF's website a AK style weapon has 15 interchangeable parts so to make it 922r compliant you have to change at least 5 parts.

Interchangeable Parts:

Trigger Group - counts as 3 parts

Gas piston - " 1 "

Buttstock - " 1 "

Handguard - " 1 "

Mag - " 3 "

Receiver - " 1 " Does not exist for the 308

There are others but useless because they do not exist for the 308.....

Oh yeah stay away from Promag magazines......

Good luck

I'm not looking to change the exterior i want it to be stock. But the internals are what I am looking for. Where can you find the internal parts?

There are no original internal parts for the Saiga rifle..... You have to buy USA made parts and 922r compliance comes into play.......

I'm not looking to change the exterior i want it to be stock. But the internals are what I am looking for. Where can you find the internal parts?

There are no original internal parts for the Saiga rifle..... You have to buy USA made parts and 922r compliance comes into play.......

so basically if it breaks down on me i'm screwed...

You have to buy USA made parts and 922r compliance comes into play.......

Nonsense, changing from sporting config causes 922r to come into play, not using US made replacement parts.

Internal parts are Saiga Specific. If you change the internals for the FCG (aka trigger set) that would help abit.

The bolt and firing pin are going to hold up to for awhile and some people have had success with AK74 parts..

Joethemetaldude.

I've got about 4000 rounds thru my 7.62x39 Saiga with nothing yet having issues..

Some have used the AK74 firing pin in the 7.62x39 Saiga with no issues also.. (same may work for 308)

Some have modded the extractors to also work....

The BOLTS for the 308 are different from the NORM AK's...

I would suggest to buy an AK74 firing pin as a spare..

Get the Tapco STK07320 Handguard for $40 (bolt-on) and IF you convert later you can buy ANY AK stock you want..

Here are stocks for NON-CONVERTED Saigas...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-STOCKS-dsh-SAIGA-FACTORY-SETUP/Categories

Most go with the Tapco for $58.00 (toward bottom of page)

IF you ALSO want to run the US Made 20-25 round mags in your Saiga you will need the US Made handguard to be 922r..

Some here have had success with the 24 Round ProMags and others not.. Choices are YOURs..

Albert

You have to buy USA made parts and 922r compliance comes into play.......

Nonsense, changing from sporting config causes 922r to come into play, not using US made replacement parts.

Learn about 922r before you make this statement... So let's see if you can catch on, what foreign parts exists for the Saiga 308? Answer = "0", so the only choice you have with the SAIGA 308 is to buy and put on USA MADE PARTS....

922r does and will come into affect as I had stated....

I guess this is why I have such a low rating here on this board, because people just do not think before opening their mouths... You have vendors wanting to sell their mags & things here yet they do not warn the person that they need to change out 1 or 2 more parts to be compliant, why would they care it is not their ass on the line.....

• Like 1

The only three things I have heard of breaking in Aks are the:

Gas piston

Extractor

Firing pin

And these are rare parts to break, they would also need to be fit to the rifle. I think wolff makes a spring kit for AK rifles, probably be good to keep on hand.

922r comes into effect when you add parts such as a pistol grip or mag over 10 rounds (or flash hiders and bayonet lugs). Replacing a gas piston is not going to cause a 922r compliance issue. And if something like a handguard is swapped out the rifle can legally be used with both the factory mag and the US made 10+ mags. If you are to swap handguard and the stock out(adding a pistol grip), then you can't use the factory mag. However I do make a drop it kit that will replace two counted parts on the factory mag, thus allowing it to be used with the drop in pistol grip stock.

I find 922r to be annoying, mostly because there is no easy way to explain it.

922r comes into effect when you add parts such as a pistol grip or mag over 10 rounds (or flash hiders and bayonet lugs). Replacing a gas piston is not going to cause a 922r compliance issue. And if something like a handguard is swapped out the rifle can legally be used with both the factory mag and the US made 10+ mags. If you are to swap handguard and the stock out(adding a pistol grip), then you can't use the factory mag. However I do make a drop it kit that will replace two counted parts on the factory mag, thus allowing it to be used with the drop in pistol grip stock.

I find 922r to be annoying, mostly because there is no easy way to explain it.

Very true if you only change out the gas piston or even the trigger group, but if you put a high cap mag or a pistol grip stock on then you better have 10 or less parts, and one of the parts is the gas piston as well as the hand guard...... Since the OP stated INTERNAL parts the only other single part is the gas piston......

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530

Edited by Gunlover_2008

Learn about 922r before you make this statement... So let's see if you can catch on, what foreign parts exists for the Saiga 308? Answer = "0", so the only choice you have with the SAIGA 308 is to buy and put on USA MADE PARTS.... 922r does and will come into affect as I had stated....

Dude, you really need to get your facts straight. If you swap out your buttstock for a US made Monte Carlo buttstock, no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your gas piston for a US made gas piston, no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your magazine for a US made mag, (as long as it's sporting - 10 or less rounds), no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your handguard for a US made handguard, no problem - no 922r issues.

Again, changing from sporting config is what causes 922r to come into play, not using US made replacement parts.

Edited by layer

Learn about 922r before you make this statement... So let's see if you can catch on, what foreign parts exists for the Saiga 308? Answer = "0", so the only choice you have with the SAIGA 308 is to buy and put on USA MADE PARTS.... 922r does and will come into affect as I had stated....

Dude, you really need to get your facts straight. If you swap out your buttstock for a US made Monte Carlo buttstock, no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your gas piston for a US made gas piston, no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your magazine for a US made mag, (as long as it's sporting - 10 or less rounds), no problem - no 922r issues; if you swap out your handguard for a US made handguard, no problem - no 922r issues.

Again, changing from sporting config is what causes 922r to come into play, not using US made replacement parts.

Had you paid attention and read all of the posts you would have noticed that YWHIC Stated to put a HIGH CAP MAGAZINE WHICH MANDATES 922r COMPLIANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had read my post before yours you would have seen that same answer.........

• Like 1