post-1304-1114997961_thumb.jpgFinshed conversion to pg a few months ago but still did not like looks of factory handguard and was having some cycling problems also.After reading and looking at Cobra 76's details on his great looking job with wood I decided to try with some extra handguards that I had.I did remove gas block to open gas port that was partially blocked and with smaller diameter barrel was able to modify and use complete upper and lower retainers.Will now try to update 12 also.

Actually, I think its his lack of punctuation that's got ya confused..

He removed the gas block, and opened up a partially blocked gas port.

Also, with the smaller diameter 20 gauge barrel he was able to modify and use upper and lower retainers from an AK style rifle.

He will try the S12 next...

Make sense?

:smoke:

Sorry if I wasn't clear in first post but I didn't have to cut or split any of the retainers to fit gas tube or barrel.OD of gas tube is same on Saiga as most AK's,had to bore out lower retainer to fit barrel.Lower retainer is held in place by rear of gas block.Front upper retainer on gas block has to have flutes removed to fit rounded gas tube on Saiga.Still waiting on front and rear sights to complete.Will try and post pics to help explain better.

Edited by birdman2scuba
Can I get some pictures of how you did the upper and lower hand guard retainers.

Also, can you still use the Iron sights?

Rusty

Can no longer use standard Saiga iron sights,upper handguard sets to high.Tried to modify sight rail but it flexed too much after trimming to fit hand guard.Here are some pics of retainers and of upper front before straightening.Let me know if you need to see more pics.

post-1304-1115251201.jpg

post-1304-1115251260.jpg

post-1304-1115252127.jpg

Edited by birdman2scuba

Cobra

Rear retainer spot welded to gas tube,no need for a press for gas block.Removed gas block on 20 and S12 with brass drift and reinstalled with rubber mallet.I did polish barrel where gas block sits but still has nice press fit.Thank You for all your great ideas to make this conversion eaiser.I am now working on S12 using RPK front and lower handguards,hope to have done this weekend.

Rusty

I bored out lower retainer with a 1/2 to 1" tapered reamer,dremel was used for many other things but not this.Sling is E.German,came with a mag pouch and .223 ak mags.If your interested I have some extra lower retainers that I could bore out to fit S20 barrel,let me know.

Rusty

All I want for one is price from kvar and shipping,mods are free.I have 2,so if anyone else needs one let me know.Will post some pics of S12 with wood on Saiga 12,just got together but still needs touch up on wood and metal.Send me a email for details on retainer.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...