Some conversion questions.

I have already converted a saiga rifle in 7.62x39 so I already have some experience on the subject.

I was planning on buying an sgl21 but started to think I might just want a saiga in .308 for way less and have money for a lot of ammo and mags.

From what I read you need to have a modded g2 to work in the .308?

do you mean modded as in to work for the BHO or modded so it works in the .308 rifle?

Also on my other rifle when I did the conversion I didnt know some did not have pre-drilled pg holes, fortunately mine did, I am wondering how difficult it is to cut these holes? like what are the measurements I should be going for?

bassically tell me what I need to know about converting the .308 thanks a lot I am really looking forward to this build.

also how does the rifle handle this round?

AK's were not made for the .308 I am wondering have there been any problems of parts breaking or being damaged?

All in all how reliable is the saiga .308? any long time users out there have anything to say?

I dont want to get this rifle if after a thousand ronds the receiver or the bolt is going to break you know.

Go with the Dinzag G2 for the 308.. Its cost more but addresses the BHO and Safety lever issue.

The measurement to cut your PG hole is on here somewhere in the 308 or conversrion section..

Someone will be along to point you possibly..

csspecs has a 308 (and makes metal mags for them also) you could PM him for some info.

I know the 308 is beefier than the regular AK (extra lugs/cross members/rivets) so you should be fine.

Al

I thought up of a way to do it after I converted my 308.

Remove all internal parts then proceed with your conversion by removing the rivets to the bottom plate, once you move the trigger guard forward attach it in place.

You now have to make the hole for the PG bolt:

Turn the receiver so that the bottom is facing up

Take your pistol grip place it where it is supposed to go against the trigger guard (it will be unsecured), take a thin pencil or scriber and mark the hole where the bolt goes through the PG, remove the PG and drill the hole for the bolt, put the bolt through the hole from the inside, install the PG "NUT" on the outside of the receiver (make sure that the nut is facing in the right direction and scribe the square of the nut, remove the PG bolt & nut, then cut it out with your dremmil tool.... Note, you may have to widen the sides to fit the nut properly, make sure you widen both sides equally....

The diagram that is posted here is for a X39 rifle and will not be the same for the 308

I wish I had thought of this before I did mine... Good luck and let us know how it came out...

0-0-00-PistolGripNut.jpg

• Like 1

so what your saying I should do on the PG hole is bassically trace it and cut it?

But regarding the FCG I do not plan on reinstalling my BHO so do I still need to get a modded FCG or can I use a regular one?

Saiga 308s have shorter safety lever tangs. If you use a normal Tapco G2 FCG, good chances are, your safety won't properly engage. You might even run into an issue where your weapon will fire when you disengage the safety (without pulling the trigger at all). Dinzag solves this problem by welding some material on one of the trigger legs, making it taller.

Another issue is caused by the fact that Saiga 308s' trigger holes are wider than the standard AK (and other Saiga) ones, causing the Tapco G2 trigger to slide from side to side. Potentially, it can be a problem, especially in the long run. Dinzag's FCG includes this metal washer, that sits on the trigger axis pin and acts as a spacer, preventing the triger from sliding.

• Like 1

so what your saying I should do on the PG hole is bassically trace it and cut it?

But regarding the FCG I do not plan on reinstalling my BHO so do I still need to get a modded FCG or can I use a regular one?

Basically yes, bolt the PG nut on the outside of the receiver to get the exact location.....

Basically yes, bolt the PG nut on the outside of the receiver to get the exact location.....

good ingenuity...simply tracing it would be much easier than trying to measure everything and cut it.

Other than it needing a special FCG what else should I know about the .308 conversion?

What are some good optics any of you have experience with?

I run Irons on all my other rifles But with the .308 round I would want to put some sort of low powered scope on it. Do you guys know of any good (not to pricey) optics for this rifle....anyone with good systems for their rifles want to share with a noob to optics?

Optics..

People are going to say go with Russian POSP type scopes.. $175-350

I run a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot (6moa dot).. $72 using a UTG 978 Quick Detach mount $35 or so..

Classy Runs a Bushnell TRS25 Red Dot (3moa) on Sale for $86 at Cabelas website... :super: (usually $110+)

If you want a scope for about $130 Bushnell Banner BDC has 'turrents' for different calibers (308 also included in box).

Forgot the model #... But it has the words BDC after it.. Think its 3-9 power.

Then you can go with the UTG 978 or another brand... guntec or Kvar has quick detach mounts also.. $45-80..

There was a post about under $100 optics not to long ago.

I run a NCStar 6x32 Fixed Power Scope ($27) on my 5.45x39 Saiga and it works great for me out to 200+ yards...

use opticsplanet to find a scope you like then google the mfg and part # and voila' best price... :smoke:

thats how I do it..

Albert

good ingenuity...simply tracing it would be much easier than trying to measure everything and cut it.

Other than it needing a special FCG what else should I know about the .308 conversion?

What are some good optics any of you have experience with?

I run Irons on all my other rifles But with the .308 round I would want to put some sort of low powered scope on it. Do you guys know of any good (not to pricey) optics for this rifle....anyone with good systems for their rifles want to share with a noob to optics?

Not much else except that you will need 1 extra USA made part to make it 922r compliant. you can take care of this with a PG, their is a guy here that is selling steel 308 mags that look real good, I would love to get a hold of a 5 rounder but no $$$ so I have to wait....

As far as optics go I use a Russian POSP side mount with a Eagle Optic red dot on her, it is zeroed in to 200 yards. Optics depends on what you want......

DesktopPic-1.jpg

Not much else except that you will need 1 extra USA made part to make it 922r compliant. you can take care of this with a PG....

Fail

The PG is an added part, like a muzzle device. Presuming you use a US made FCG & PG you would still need one additional US made part for 922r compliance.

Not much else except that you will need 1 extra USA made part to make it 922r compliant. you can take care of this with a PG....

Fail

The PG is an added part, like a muzzle device. Presuming you use a US made FCG & PG you would still need one additional US made part for 922r compliance.

The hi cap US mag you will probably use is 3 more US parts. GARY N4KVE

Maybe this will help....

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=32197

Thanks, but this spreadsheet is for a AK47 not a Saiga. Saiga's do not come with muzzle attachments so they are not counted unless you put one on then it is counted, I guess the same could be said for the PG and that would take the count to 16 imported parts...... So layer may have a point, hey finally... LOL

Since Saiga's are not imported with PG's either it would not be counted, so I guess a gas piston, or even a mag would work.....

Ver21 is ready to go.. (FCG is moved up).

Cost is up around $570-650 (if you can find em)

This is the one I would get also... but for $150 less I could get the reg. 21".

Figure $440 and $70 for the FCG.. would be close when done...

The other issue is the angle cut on the rear of the receiver..

Albert

What kind of other furniture would work with the slant cut?

Also what kind of FCG does it have in it?

I for one do not know what a slant cut is, but can not understand why anyone would you want to replace the furniture? It looks sweet. Reading up on the version 21 it has a standard imported trigger grp.

Good luck with your decision.....

Maybe this will help....

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=32197

Thanks, but this spreadsheet is for a AK47 not a Saiga. Saiga's do not come with muzzle attachments so they are not counted unless you put one on then it is counted, I guess the same could be said for the PG and that would take the count to 16 imported parts...... So layer may have a point, hey finally... LOL

Since Saiga's are not imported with PG's either it would not be counted, so I guess a gas piston, or even a mag would work.....

If it is one of the parts listed and is on your rifle, it counts. It doesn't matter if the gun was imported with it or not. If you convert your rifle and add a muzzle attachment or pistol grip, they will count towards 922r .

If it is one of the parts listed and is on your rifle, it counts. It doesn't matter if the gun was imported with it or not. If you convert your rifle and add a muzzle attachment or pistol grip, they will count towards 922r .

Saiga's are not imported with muzzle attachments.... When you do a conversion you have 14 parts to consider not 15 like the AK47, which normally has a muzzle attachment when they allowed the importation of... SAIGA's (this is the rifle we are talking about) are not allowed to be imported in the AK47 style (PG configuration) or a muzzle attachment or even a bayonet lug installed, this is why the count went down unless you install the parts mentioned....

If you add a muzzle brake to a SAIGA or even a PG then the parts count goes up from 14 to 15 or 14 to 16.......

A vepr K stock would likely fit with some mods (they are slant cut, just not the exactly the same).

But if I had a Saiga ver.21 it would be a cold day in hell that I'd remove the wood. I would change the FCG to a Dinzag to allow the use of 10+ mags (15 total parts -3 for the mag and -3 for the fcg = 9)