Back from the range. I have a saiga 7.62x39 with a Barska 3x9 zero'd at 30ft. shot everything aimed at, pulled up on a 300yd target, nailed it 3x's!!! I don't understand why so many shooters have problems with accuracy? I bought one for my son and it shoot's the same. People complain about the trigger and some kind of inherent inaccuracy, but I believe if shooters would take the time to learn to shoot before they trash on a gun or caliber there might not be so much complaining. Practice till you get it!!! It's not the gun it's YOU!!!!!!

My main issue with x39 is bullet drop over a distance, but that can be accounted for. A good build with consistent ammo will easily be accurate out to a few hundred yards. Russians are definitely some of the best!

I'm looking forward to trying some silver or brown bear, which I've heard is about the best and the choice's of bullet's (hp sp fmj even boat tail) So far I've used the wolf military classic and golden tiger both in fmj and both held very good group's. As far as bullet drop goes check any ballistic table and you'll find when you get to 400 yrds and plus gravity is demanding its control on all, granted there are plenty of flatter calibers out there but when you consider the .308 is good to 800-1200 yrds. check and see the drop out to those ranges. Fight gravity aim HIGHER or let the target pass chance's are at those range's your target won't even know your there.

Go Rocky!!! I was pretty sure I was going with an Ar-15 when I decided to get a military style, do it all rifle. But after a couple months of research between guns and ammo, the ar-15 in 5.56 or 7.62 was not even a consideration. The 5.56 to light to handle much wind or anything obstructing the target, .308 ammo is to heavy and expensive for my purpose's. The Saiga was perfect for ME much to the irritation of the gun store owner who was trying to sell me an AR. I thought if I buy what He likes I'll I have is a gun I don't want no matter how good the quality if it doesn't fill my bill, why bother. The only people I know who swear by really expensive guns are those who sell them and those who buy them, I'll take the supposedly inferior guns that have always worked well for ME.

• Like 1

"hickok45" is a damn good shot, so less user error is involved and it's a better demonstration of what the rifle itself is capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMmhSWRu3Q

Keep in mind he's just using a WASR 10/63, which are generally less accurate than Russian-made rifles.

7.62x39 works extremely well for the distance/role it was intended for. If you want to reach out and touch a target beyond a few hundred yards, get a .308.

• Like 1

"hickok45" is a damn good shot, so less user error is involved and it's a better demonstration of what the rifle itself is capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMmhSWRu3Q

Keep in mind he's just using a WASR 10/63, which are generally less accurate than Russian-made rifles.

7.62x39 works extremely well for the distance/role it was intended for. If you want to reach out and touch a target beyond a few hundred yards, get a .308.

Good Video, the round as well as the gun is intended for battle, it can reach out and touch somebody, but accuracy further out usually isn't competition consistant which is where most people cry foul. IMO, long shots should be done with the appropriate weapon, closer shots should be a battle round with a battle weapon (7.62X39 or 6.8 for peeps shooting non-ak's)

"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

My Norinco Hunter could do that at 225yds with irons easily. I think it's cool he did that standing though.

Edited by dobravery

Thanks for the laugh young Skywalker, yea hickok45 is a damn good shot, He does a great job with His Glock 19 also. I pity the poor s.o.b that tries breaking into His house, although anytime you see a shooting range like His setup, well lets just say a BRINKS home security sticker wouldn't be required...

An 15" target freehand at 230 Yards is good practical riflemanship, no doubt.

However, It is not the kind of "accuracy" that you would brag about however when it comes to a rifle.

An 15" target freehand at 230 Yards is good practical riflemanship, no doubt.

However, It is not the kind of "accuracy" that you would brag about however when it comes to a rifle.

That depends on what qualities of the rifle you were bragging on. Hickok45's vid shows that even the WASR rifles, (which are as tough and legendarily reliable as any AK), are effective against man-sized targets at practical battlefield ranges with OEM iron sights.

Are many other rifles, (such as AR's), more accurate? Of course. Will those rifles jam more easily and fail in the field more often than AK's? Absolutely.

• Like 1

"Perfection is the enemy of the good enough"- Russian proverb.

In a target rifle the 7.62-39 is a very accurate round. In an AK or SKS the 7.62-39 is good enough.

Good enough in wet jungles.

Good enough in freezing winter storms.

Good enough in the sandbox.

Good enough on the rock pile.

Good enough to kill anything out to 200 yards,300 if you can shoot.

Good enough that old people, children, and even towel headed morons can shoot the damn thing!

Good enough to keep shooting thru hundreds of rounds and extended periods of NO maintenance.

• Like 1

I agree with the 15'' target at 230yds being good enough. There are so many shooters who would struggle with making that shot. Almost all of my shooting is ambush style, I'm patient and have been fairly successful hunting that way, off hand shooting is a pain because usually the game is there before I'm ready and yelling FREEZE doesn't work unless the deer are really stupid (my fav.)but unless you're really close most dear will sit tight while you take time to set up, but don't take to long, really close is 150-225 or so yds but I fully intend to use my saiga this year out to 400 or so yds. if needed. I know most if not all would scoff at that but I have a place to practice out to the outer reach's of most any caliber, I've got enough ammo of the same lot to dial this rifle in and see what it is truly capable of. Deer are thin skinned enough to be taken down with a well placed 22 rimfire at a reasonable range. I've checked the drop and energy of the 7.62 at 400yds. and felt it was something I could deal with. I may go through a few hundred rounds in the site in or familiarization process but by the time I'm done it'll be go time with confidence. 30 yrs of shooting cheap crappy ass guns has got me into this frame of mind.

5.45??? Is that new? I thought it was 5.56, but I don't really keep up on such things. If it is 5.56 then I disagree, as long as the wind isn't blowing the 5.56 may be accurate enough but the bullet weight has been a concern to me!!! I have done extensive scientific research and the hands down conclusion is a minimum .270 caliber to take out ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!