I'm thinking of selling my .223 Saiga and getting an AR. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like. I was going to sell my Saiga and all my .223 ammo since that was my only gun in that caliber. I decided to hang on to it just because in the case of SHTF, that will be common ammo and I wanted to keep something that would shoot it, and it should only gain in value, hopefully at least. So i figure if I'm not shooting it that much maybe I should jump on the AR bandwagon at least a little and have something that will be that much more mainstream and interchangeable. I have only shot about 5 rounds from a friend of a friend's gun and it was ready to go, so I don't really have knowledge of the platform. So my question to everyone is, does my thinking seem like it is logical? Also, what AR model should I look for? Like I said I am not familiar with AR's so I would something that I will not have to do a lot to from the get go. I'm sure I'll look in the used market. I just don't want to get a POS but I can't break the bank either. I'd have do some research but I value the input from this forum very much. I don't know if all AR's will also shoot .223 but I would want the one I get to shoot both .223 and 5.56 rounds.

FWIW, I am quite familiar with the AK platform. Most of my weapons are AK's.....same ammo, mags can be swapped around ect.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

An AR forum might give you answers closer to what you're looking for. I suggest saving up for one if you really want one. The Saiga resale value is not likely to be great, yet it is a great rifle. (I speak as one who once tried to sell his Saiga .223; fortunately I was not able to).

Really, I think the whole interchangeable-in-SHTF bit is unrealistic. Your Saiga is not likely to break anyhow, and the chance of someone else giving you .223 ammo or AR magazines or parts is practically nil. (If you get an AR, you might actually NEED those spare parts that no one will give you).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Thanks for the input. I may just stick with what I have. In part it was to get something new/different. Before doing something I should get with my friend and his friend and actually check ou the gun and it's operations first anyway. Thanks again.

Doug