Just bought my first 7.62 16" Saiga rifle and stumbled accross a post somewhere about this rifle. I managed to copy the pic but lost the link to see what this guy did. Anyone recognize this pic? The mods here are more up my alley. Don't want to move the trigger group or change the stock but I do like the paint and I'd like to change the handguard to something more like this photo. It looks a little more "AK" but still keeps that carbine look. Thats why I bought this rifle but can't get used to Its factory handguard/foregrip. Thanks for any info...post-25963-042737700 1279592680_thumb.jpg

Edited by bucksnort55

Well, you've got one of two options. Option one is you get a Tapco stock with the pistol grip attached to it so you don't have to bother moving the FCG and trigger guard forward. Option two is you move the trigger guard forward, buy a new FCG, and pop on a nice AK-style Hogue grip.

That handguard is just a standard polymer AK lower handguard. You will need either a bolt on retainer for it, or you'll have to remove the sight block, gas block, and then install a regular retainer. The rail on the top of it is an ultimak gas tube. It has a rail on the top and both sides. The red dot is most likely an Aimpoint Micro, or a Primary Arms Microdot (I think) as they both co-witness with the irons. Light looks to be a Surefire.

For what it's worth, I would convert to a pistol grip only because to me, the factory Saiga trigger is really that bad.

With the rifle pictured above, you also run into the problem that it is not 922r compliant.

By inserting a magazine over 10 rounds in a factory sporter you'd need to have 10 or less foreign made parts for the gun to be legal. In that photo the only US compliance part appears to be the lower handguard, it would still need four more parts. In order to make a 922r compliant Saiga rifle with straight stock and AK magazines you'd have to do some elaborate work that is much more involved than a simple conversion.

Of course, you could just swap the handguard and gas tube/optic as L5K said, and stick with 10 round magazines, which seems to be the best option for what you intend to do with the rifle.

Thanks guys-the more I poked around the forums the more I decided to stick with the basic gun. I found this pic with the handguard modded that will do for now. They probably used a router or dremmel, I'll figure it out. The vent holes took away that butt ugly look of the handguard. I'm probably still going to paint the stock and handguard in Alumahyde coyote brown like the other pic and add a SGM recoil pad and couple of 10 round clips. Maybe down the road I'll refinish the rest of the gun in Brownells GunKote, I'd like to try my hand at that.

post-25963-061937800 1279934177_thumb.jpg

Edited by bucksnort55
  • 5 weeks later...

I am also thinking of doing the same thing. Keeping the izshmash monte carlo stock and FCG in its current stock configuration. So in order to comply with 922®, Im thinking of getting all US made mags (tapco 30 round mags) which count as 3 parts and a us handguard which counts as 1 giving 4 US parts. File the mag catch and install a bullet guide to feed properly. That should bring the stock saiga foreign parts count down to 10. This would be the least expensive and lease amount of work to do.

Tapco intrafuse handguard $50

Tapco mag $9

bullet guide = $25

Total about $85

Foregin parts:

1 buttstock

2 receiver

3 barrel

4 bolt

5 bolt carrier

6 front trunnion

7 gas piston

8 trigger

9 disconnetor

10 hammer

If I was you I would buy a G2 trigger and use the disconnector and hammer from it. Then swap the piston with a US made piston.

This would let you use cheap surplus magazines.

I only suggest this because the only good thing I have heard about the Tapco magazines is the price. I have read and seen pictures, and even a video of them breaking because they are all plastic with no reinforcement.

Or, if you didn't want to swap the piston, you could get US made followers or floorplates or both for the commie magazines.