Saiga 20 owner, relearning

Hi folks, bought a Saiga 20 a few years back that came with a single 5 rnd 3" magazine as a fun gun but haven't done anything with it. Now I figure that some newer products are on the market and I'm wondering a couple things regarding available mod parts and perhaps recommendations for them. I'm thinking about a few aesthetic mods, thumb hole stock, snazzy looking fore end, maybe a gas tube cover and definitely a raised steel front site. And one consideration though is that I'm no gunsmith so anything I do to it will have to be no material modification. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Now in terms of maximizing this guns lifespan, what can I do in terms of drop in parts?

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Finally had the saiga out to the range today. Earlier this week I disassembled and cleaned and oiled it very thoroughly. I could only get my hands on some Fiocchi 7/8oz 3". I had a 1911 spring handy (Thanks Dad, RIP) and I popped that in, set it for 2. Anyways, functioned flawlessly with those shells.

on the subject of long life depending on who you talk to a recoil buffer isn't a bad thing to add.

just about all the stocks and forearms are drop in / drill 3 small holes with a hand drill with the bit supplied in most cases.

with a dremel and a 3/16 bit with a hand drill you could most likely pull off a conversion.

enjoy the gun, be safe, and have fun in life.

See how she runs with low brass 2 3/4" shells. They are cheaper and will be easier on your gun if it will shoot it. many S20s need the gas ports opened up to run light loads, but try it first. You may need a wedge to use the 3" magazine with 2 3/4 shells. I'm not familar with the shells you are using, but generally 3" shells are a bit "healthier" even at 7/8ths load. You probably don't need that lighter recoil spring to run the 3" loads.Keep an eye on your gun for excess wear if you are using that spring without a buffer on setting #2 with heavy loads.

Edited by Arnisandyz

Thanks for the recap fellas. When I opened up the gas tube tube the other day to explore and clean the gun it looked like there was a metal shaving coming out of a port but I'm not certain as it disappeared during the process. In retrospect that made me suspicious to wonder if the gun had not been modified previously but at this point I would not know.

Thanks for the recap fellas. When I opened up the gas tube tube the other day to explore and clean the gun it looked like there was a metal shaving coming out of a port but I'm not certain as it disappeared during the process. In retrospect that made me suspicious to wonder if the gun had not been modified previously but at this point I would not know.

Only way to tell is to pull the gasblock completely off and measure the ports. But if its working fine with low-brass on #2 gas setting then don't mess with it. When I did mine the ports were rough from the factory to say the least, 2 ports were also partially obscured by the gasblock. When you look in the gas block how many ports can you see? If you can only see one, take a paperclip and see if you can feel for any others near the front and if the gasblock is covering any of those holes. If you do end up opening up the ports you may be slightly over-gassed but it should run the light stuff better. Set it to #1 for the 3" shells. Some people add the gunfixr plug to get more adjustment in between.