Why the HELL didn't this technology catch on? And why the hell isn't it plentiful now with Fuel Injection and Computer control? 1984. Pontiac Fiero. 4 cyl. 250 HP, 250 TQ, 51 MPG. (std Hp was 90 HP and 125 TQ, 35 mpg) Carb. No computer. They had the tech back then. All 3 (GM, Ford & Chrysler) built engines and cars and decided not to use it. Now GM is going to use it to meet CAFE standards. Assholes. Profit comes first. Tesla also had some very cool ideas and inventions, but got smothered by Edison, and lost in history, died broke. He was probably the smartest man that ever lived. Einstien had theories, Tesla had ideas and made them work. Nikola Tesla was a man way, way beyond his times. He should be hailed as a hero, greater than any one else on this earth, and should have his inventions (we all use some form of them daily) like the motors and such in use today. Where are the brilliant innovators like that today? The Hot Air engine was started in the '50s. Tesla was in the 1900's.

Edited by BronCobraJet
  • Like 4

Did you guys read the caption around the picture of the tire? I would love to have a tire that still has tread and no signs of aging after 20 years. It makes one wonder what other types of technology have been engineered and then put on the backburner because they were simply too ( efficient, reliable, etc).

With our Saiga's the innovators are all on this site!

Intentional obsolesence drives the durable goods industry and low efficiency drives the fuel industry. I've seen similar articles for years, when someone does try to start up a buisnes with long lasting product or great fuel efficiency, they get bought out. I'll wager dollars to donuts that if marijuana were ever legalised, Monsantos would own all seed rights within one year. Tesla was a brilliant man.

• Like 2

I had a friend that worked for GM growing up. He was an engineering wizard, he would design and make performance parts for Pontiac Fiero's on his own time. Had his test engine bolted to the floor in his garage. He would make improvements till it worked there, then he would install them in his test car. When he got bugs worked out, it went into HIS street car, Fastest Fiero I've ever seen. This was 89 - 92 till he was moved to Mich.

Did you guys read the caption around the picture of the tire? I would love to have a tire that still has tread and no signs of aging after 20 years. It makes one wonder what other types of technology have been engineered and then put on the backburner because they were simply too ( efficient, reliable, etc).

Accualy I do believe in the context it was used is that the tires simply are very resistant to ageing... IE-rubber rot, checking, hardening over time... not nessisarily wear.

Accualy I do believe in the context it was used is that the tires simply are very resistant to ageing... IE-rubber rot, checking, hardening over time... not nessisarily wear.

Pure synthetic rubber lasts for decades , but the tires have NO wet traction, and poor dry cornering ability.

Some say Tesla is still alive BTW.....

I heard that it was just his brain... :lolol:

Could be... after all this info comes for the other dimensions where he lives side by side with the aliens... :eek: LOL!!!!

Pure synthetic rubber lasts for decades , but the tires have NO wet traction, and poor dry cornering ability.

In the article it said Smokey had Firestone make 100 tires to his specs. He guarenteed they would last 100,000 miles. I would think that includes wear! Lol.

the fiero worked because it was lightweight, put that motor in today's heavier cars and it's an issue. Also, that car was a deathtrap...today they are getting back to a lighter design, but much safer as well. Just about all modern vehicles are going Unibody which makes for a safer and cheaper car, and you should start to see an interesting trend in new vehicles...my Jeep averages 28MPG's and isn't a hybrid. But yes, this is a long overdue evolution...

• 2 weeks later...

I worked as contract engineer at the GM Tech Center and I understand why they are losing to their competitors. I also contracted at Ford where they were more efficient and engineers were able to do more because of the engineering system. Outside innovations by people like Smokey Yunick's will not catch because of the mentality car at the companies and the testing they have to run to meet emissions which are extensive. Auto companies are more interested in squeezing their suppliers than coming up with innovations. They also want the suppliers to develop the technology for them, it's called 'full service supplier'. When I worked for the suppliers they would mistreat us and we had to take a lot of BS from them and often they were abusive with us. When I got my present car, I remembered the way I was treated and got a Kia. I didn't want to get a Japanese car because they never employed me and I thought about the atrocities they committed in World War 2.

Nikola Tesla was brilliant (and eccentric) like may inventors. His success with alternating current beat Thomas Edison whose eccentricity caused him to push for DC. Edison was more of a businessman than Tesla. Nikola Tesla is honored at Goat Island at Niagara Falls where there is a plaque honoring his accomplishments and his contributions to the power plants and economic growth around the Niagara River.