What are realibility upgrade?

I've been watching vids on the Saiga 12 and many of them mention having reliability upgrades performed. What are the referring to? Mine is reliable as it came, and I've ran a sample of all the 12ga ammo that I have stored. I did read up on high/low-brass shells and all of my stuff would be considered high brass.

thanks

Edited by roughneck2zero

Many of us polish & profile our FCGs, Bolts & Carriers.

This reduces friction & makes feeding easier.

Some tune the extractors if needed.

Some smoothen the extractor slot.

These are things we do if the gun is already running well to make it even more reliable.

They won't help all that much if your ports are undersized.

If they are undersized or obstructed, they need to be corrected.

• Like 2

Pauly: He speaks the truth.

Mine is reliable as it came, and I've ran a sample of all the 12ga ammo that I have stored. I did read up on high/low-brass shells and all of my stuff would be considered high brass.

thanks

Give it a go with some low-brass (pick up a Federal bulk-pack of some birdshot at Wally World). If an S12 is going to have reliability problems, most likely it's going to be with the low powered stuff like birdshot.

He may be talking about the hack job that the WraithFaker people do to a S12 so their POS drum works.

Oh my....

If so turn & run!!!!

The Rape-maker guys at Asswipe Armament rape your gun beyond repair.

A guy posted pics of it a while back.

They even screw up the ejector & one would need to weld on more steel & reshape that part to fix it.

Bad news.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 2

He may be talking about the hack job that the WraithFaker people do to a S12 so their POS drum works.

Oh my....

If so turn & run!!!!

They even screw up the ejector & one would need to weld on more steel & reshape that part to fix it.

Bad news.

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth. About this anyway.naaaa.gif

I keed, I keed.

• Like 1

Oh my....

If so turn & run!!!!

Bad news.

A miracle has happened! :D We AGREE! :super::lolol:

• Like 1

Don't send it to AA for their reliability service. If it works at all, it will only work with the components that they do the service with (from what I've read). I've put together a D-I-Y (do it yourself) thread to help make your S12 a little more reliable.

S12 Modifications/Reliability Services

Shooting the hell out of it will certainly make the S12 work itself out in the end, but these little tips and tricks will help achieve this quicker!

Good luck and enjoy the S12!

Edited by ErikTaylor

Don't send it to AA for their reliability service. If it works at all, it will only work with the components that they do the service with (from what I've read). I've put together a D-I-Y (do it yourself) thread to help make your S12 a little more reliable.

S12 Modifications/Reliability Services

Shooting the hell out of it will certainly make the S12 work itself out in the end, but these little tips and tricks will help achieve this quicker!

Good luck and enjoy the S12!

+1 for those 2 threads, but just 1 thing...

Don't overgas the hell out of it like he did with 4 ports @ 3/32nds.

Bad shit will eventually happen if you do. Tom from Cadiz routinely posts pics of destroyed carriers from people over-gassing.

My carrier & bolt are slightly profiled & nicely polished & 3 ports @ 3/32nds & I can run anything from winchester bulk up to high brass slugs through the MD-20 with the stock puck & plug.

If it's not working with the right sized ports, up-size just one at a time, or better yet, find what is actually going wrong with the gun & fix it.

Paul I was worried about over gassing my gun when I drilled those ports to 3/32, but the 5/64 ports were not cutting it. With the Gas Fixer plug I wasn't really worried if I over gassed my gun slightly because to my understanding it regulates the gas allowed into the system with over gassed guns, correct? I did post in my thread I linked roughneck to that 5/64 is the correct size for a 4 port gun and that 3/32's is correct for a 3 port gun. I hope he does read that part before he does any drilling to his shotgun. I also did explain the reason I over gassed my gun was to ensure that there would not be a problem with the action cycling any round because I wanted to obtain maximum reliability in my S12, mainly because I use it for home defense. Coupled with the Gas Fixer plug and shooting primarily light Wally World loads out of it for range practice I would be ok using the 3/32 hole size for my ports without fear of damage since the 5/64's were still not yielding the results I wanted in my S12.

Pauly is right though. If you do have a 3 port gun, your port hole sizes should be 3/32. If you have a 4 port it should be 5/64 port size holes. If those "correct" sizes aren't working. Try looking for the problem elsewhere or up the size of the port holes 1 at a time until you achieve the results you desire.

Roughneck- another quick diagnosis if your gun is over/under gassed is how your spent shells are coming out of your S12? Although this is an AK platform the shells should not be flying out of the S12 like it does out of it's sister AK. There have been a few videos that I've seen where the spent shells come flying out like a rocket was being launched. That is a seriously over gassed gun and a gas fixer plug would probably help in that situation if the stock plug is already on setting 1. On the other extreme there are some guns that the shells barely fall out of the S12, and usually have some FTE's mixed in. Either turn it to setting 2 (Stock plug or 3 for Gas Fixer Plug) or the gun could probably use some gas port widening if the polishing procedures have been done to the weapon already. Again from what I've understood to be the correct amount of gas in the gun will yield the shells to be spent approximately to your 2-3 o'clock when you're facing the target and about 3-5 feet away from you, the shooter. Your shells should cluster in that area from what I've understood.

Hope this helps.