Ya, the M39's were the top of the line as far as Mosin's go. The Finish rebarreled them and put on their own stocks. They did a little work on the trigger. About 3-4lb. pull. They were supposed to shoot 3/4" group at 100 meters, or they were reworked till they did. And the guy that put it together did not get paid for the gun if it did not meet the requirement. By the way Verson, did you get my email.

Yes I did, and thanks! I was reading up on the C&R lic, and as I had thought I'll have to wait until this summer (when I turn 21) But I have always loved WWII era items, and collecting some of the rifles would rank right up there. I hope to someday buy one of the M72 russian motorcycles...... (or newer) with all the org. military goodies.

Honestly though I worry with what is going on in politics. I hope very much that bush wins again, because if not one of these crazy far left wackos is gonna ban guns, pull us out of Iraq and turn Iraq over to the UN. We will be know as the "paper tiger" again, and god only knows what else they will muck up.

well I'm not gonna rant and rave.......

thanks for the info tomme boy, I've book marked a bunch, and did read up more. I had looked before about C&R, but was very confused, however you have set me strait. :)

I've heard good things about the Persian Mauser. And I've also heard good things about the Swedish mauser, but The swedish is smaller than 8mm unless they have been rebored.

I was trying to find where I saw the discussion on the persian mauser, but I could not find the discussion I remembered, however I do remember several people suggesting them.

Geez, for $500, you can get a brand-spankin'-new Remington 700 in 8mm Remington Magnum.

For $80 + shipping + transfer fees, you can get a serviceable Vz-24, which is one of the best Mausers around. I picked up a Turk for $43 out the door at a local gun shop last year. It looked like it had never been fired, but it had been handled a lot. For $250, you can get a primo Russki arsenal refurb K98.

A couple of places you might want to go to learn a little more about Mausers are

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mauser_Rifles/

and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/98mauser-custom/

I should be getting a Russian capture German K98 within the next couple of weeks.a byf44.It should have all the German markings intact.I ordered it through Cole's distrubiting.I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.I see CDNN has Yugo K98's(German w/the markings ground off & Yugo crest stamped) for like $169.00 or something.I thought that sounded like a good deal for a shooter to beat around.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update. My friend, who I mentioned earlier as looking for a high power rifle, got a Mosin Nagant from Centerfire. I saw them earlier sell one with a nice wood stock and recommended it. You can't beat the price! He got the longer of the two models (comes w/ bayonet) and a synthetic stock. Has the Russian star and "1943" stamped on top. Pretty accurate w/ iron sights. Long, tough trigger pull and stiff bolt though.