Skull on charging handle project.

Hey all,

First let me say thanks to all those who have contributed to this great forum. I have learned a lot, and have really enjoyed it here.

I am at the point of wanting to put the final touches on my S12 conversion, and was wanting some advice. I am wanting to attach a stainless steel skull on my charging handle, but am wanting to do it a bit differently. I love the tromix skull, but do

not want a Galil (sp) type setup, as I think it would interfere with my holo sight. Plus I wanted something a little more low profile. Basically like a knob at the end of my original charging handle.

post-23742-087147600 1280081996_thumb.jpg

The skull is High-density centrifuge cast

300 grade non magnetic high grade stainless

15.6 grams ( over half an ounce )

Cast from a wax model hand carved skull

Dimensions : 20mm x 13mm x 18mm

It has a hole that runs completely through it from the top to the bottom.

post-23742-032575500 1280080944_thumb.jpg

post-23742-028535100 1280082113_thumb.jpg

post-23742-024806600 1280082180_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about drilling a hole in the back of the skull, and inserting my original charging handle into it, and then tacking it, and then welding the bejeezus out of it.

I have a basic understanding of welding, but I am concerned about how the two different metals will attach, and really don't want this thing to hit me in the eye at light speed.....8) I also have never welded anything this small.

My questions are:

Is this skull too heavy to attach onto my original charging handle?

Are the dimensions such, that it would interfere with the ejection of spent shells?

What would you do with the entire bolt carrier, after all the welding, grinding, etc. has been done?

Chrome it?

Nickel plate it?

Polish?

Nice coat of high heat BBQ black?

Am I, could I be making a colossal mistake?

Is there someone more qualified that I could send it to, that doesn't have a 10 year turnaround time?

This is my only S12 and I REALLY don't want to mess it up.

Sorry for the poor quality gun pics.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Jefferson

I don't think that will be too heavy. I've seen angled galil setups that looked pretty heavy used without issue.

As far as welding it, Tig it with some E309 wire rod. For fine work it helps to have a pedal, and use mig wire(thinner than tig rod, helps keep bead small for lower heat and less cleaning). Keep the heat low, let it cool often, and make a second wash over pass to ensure its all tied in properly. I welded a stainless gas piston on at a 45 on my didital S-12 like this.

I don't think that will be too heavy. I've seen angled galil setups that looked pretty heavy used without issue.

As far as welding it, Tig it with some E309 wire rod. For fine work it helps to have a pedal, and use mig wire(thinner than tig rod, helps keep bead small for lower heat and less cleaning). Keep the heat low, let it cool often, and make a second wash over pass to ensure its all tied in properly. I welded a stainless gas piston on at a 45 on my didital S-12 like this.

Thanks Nailbomb,

This is the kind of info I was looking for. I'm not sure what kind of steel the bolt carrier is made of, and if the difference in the two would ...well....make any difference. I am used to welding fence posts, not intricate stuff like this. Thanks again for the recommendations. Still trying to determine if this is something I want to tackle myself. Your info certainly helps me weigh the decision.

The Tromix skull knob has been discontinued.

Tony

Good thing I still have one floating around...

I seem to have good luck buying things befor you stop making them.

Wait! I was gonna get one of those. Do you have any left?

Dammit.

EDIT: Fuck it. CSS appears to have on in stock. I ordered one. Damn my Saiga 12. It's such a beautifully brutal money sink.

Edited by Vicarious_Lee