Just picked up a 7.62x39, already modded for ak mags?

Picked up a 7.62x39 earlier, did plenty of research before hand. My question is - does it looks like it's been modified to take ak mags? I couldn't really find any detailed pics of ak or saiga mags, or of the little catch lever the mags hook on to. Hopefully one of you guys can help me. The mag does fit a little loose.

38288_1475474799091_1000325535_31364269_7951454_n.jpg

38730_1475474159075_1000325535_31364267_1893859_n.jpg

38620_1475473679063_1000325535_31364266_244526_n.jpg

38684_1475474359080_1000325535_31364268_2753450_n.jpg

Edited by mface

The part to look at is the mag catch, has it been filed down to accommodate com bloc mags. Also, does it have a bullet guide?

There is no bullet guide. Doesn't necessarily mean the mag catch has been filed down though, and I can't really tell if it's been filed or not.

Looks like the rear lug on the actual mag was filed down. Might just be the pic but that looks very thin(just like the stock 10 round Izhmash mag).

Bullet guide is easy. Just buy dinzag's kit. Can never have too many 6-32 taps :)

Edited by jamesavery22

If you get a photo of inside the receiver, where the barrel meets the trunnion, we can tell if a bullet guide is installed also, but the mag looks modded.

For your reference, The front lug of a Saiga specifc mag on left, a standard ak mag front lug on right. A bullet guide is a simple ramp that allows ammo to feed from the lower point.

Also, if you are in the US, I would recommend some 922r research, your gun doesn't look legally compliant in its current form with use of that magazine.

• Like 1

If you get a photo of inside the receiver, where the barrel meets the trunnion, we can tell if a bullet guide is installed also, but the mag looks modded.

For your reference, The front lug of a Saiga specifc mag on left, a standard ak mag front lug on right. A bullet guide is a simple ramp that allows ammo to feed from the lower point.

Also, if you are in the US, I would recommend some 922r research, your gun doesn't look legally compliant in its current form with use of that magazine.

Well I'll be buying a couple US made mags for three US parts, I've read conflicting info about how many parts we need to replace, and what the cheapest way is besides the magazine.

Well the next step is definitely to take it to the range and see how it shoots with it. If it's good I'll pick up a few US made AK mags, otherwise I'll get a couple US made saiga mags. Now I've done a fair bit of research on this, but I'm still not sure - these rifles only need 4 US made parts to be 922r compliant? What is the cheapest and easiest component to replace for the 4th part?

Well I'll be buying a couple US made mags for three US parts, I've read conflicting info about how many parts we need to replace, and what the cheapest way is besides the magazine.

In factory form, the Saiga has 14 parts. If you use a magazine that hold over 10 rounds or a pistol grip, you will need to become 922r compliant. A magazine is 3 parts and you could switch the forearm or piston out for 1 more. If you add a pistol grip to the gun, it will then have 15 parts and you will need 5 to be compliant. If you have added a pistol grip, then add a muzzle attachment, you are at 16 parts, like standard ak's.

In factory form, the Saiga has 14 parts. If you use a magazine that hold over 10 rounds or a pistol grip, you will need to become 922r compliant. A magazine is 3 parts and you could switch the forearm or piston out for 1 more. If you add a pistol grip to the gun, it will then have 15 parts and you will need 5 to be compliant. If you have added a pistol grip, then add a muzzle attachment, you are at 16 parts, like standard ak's.

well it has the RAA skeleton stock, which to my understanding doesn't go against 922r since some were imported with it. Still deciding on which component I should replace.

well it has the RAA skeleton stock, which to my understanding doesn't go against 922r since some were imported with it. Still deciding on which component I should replace.

As far as I know also, the stock won't add to the count. You could easily replace the stock with a surefire tri-rail, tapco rail, utg rail, or one of many other makes. The piston is an easy change if you have the right tools.

Check if the front of the mag has been filled in. That looks like a common reworked mag.

I made like 50+ of those a year ago. But I know SGM used to make them as well. Normally the front is welded up and the rear catch is shaved down.

Unless marked otherwise all parts are imported.

I shipped mine with a note about 922r and had a warning on the order form to the same effect.