FINALLY FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM

I started noticing that my S12 was producing a lot more FTE's about 4 months ago. I could not for the life of me figure out why all of a sudden it started happening when my gun used to perform like a champ even with the cheap Federal bulk pack stuff. I thought maybe it was an issue with my quad rail because the empty shells would get stuck in between the ejection port and the top rail so I let it go (mind you I never tested it without the top rail after the FTE's started happening). I also thought that it could be a gas port issue but when I checked I have three gas ports and they were all clear.

Recently, I took the S12 to the range and fired about 200 rounds through it. At the end of the session I noticed that my gas plug would not turn at all. So when I got home I removed the quad rail and guess what I found?? There is a little hole in the side of my gas tube!! I have no idea how it got there since I didn't do any modification other than changing my plug to the gunfixers plug. Any ideas? Would this thing be covered by warranty? Would I need to replace the gas tube or can this be welded up? Oh this sucks but I'm glad I know what the problem is now.

post-23896-026210100 1280337133_thumb.jpg

post-23896-029193300 1280337136_thumb.jpg

That's not a "problem", that overpressure vent is supposed to be there. Don't weld it up or otherwise screw with it. If your quad-rail is significantly blocking the vent, that may in fact be part of your FTE problem.

Does your S-12 have the same FTE issues with the factory handguard installed?

yeh, which rail system are you using. It appears that your blow by vent is being obscured. if the gas has no where to go, it will cause some problems, and will give you problems with heavy loads as well later on down the road.

take the handguard completely off and shoot it. make sure that blow by vent is cleaned out as well. you shouldnt have issues Im guessing. Dont put your finger over it though, especially if you fire some 3" loads down it.

there are a couple different rails that obstruct the blow by vent hole. its not supposed to be obstructed.

It's a Chaos Extended Quad Rail. I don't know why my situation would be unique though with so many Chaos rail users out there. However I didn't have the same issue with the stock handguard setup. I'm probably just in denial cause I like the rail. I will try this weekend with the stock handguard as a baseline to see if the problem persists. Then I will try without the top piece of the Quad rail and see if that helps. If it is the top rail that would majorly suck since I had to dremel off the rear stock sight to install it.

Yeah, what the others have said. That hole is supposed to be there.

But just because you have three holes that are visible and unobstructed, doesn't mean your good to go. I've worked on five different s12s, 4 of them with 3 ports at around .075" (2009's), and 1 that had only two ports around .075" (2008). All are 19" bbl saigas and should have had port size diameters around .093". So my point is that your gun could be undergassed. Something to check in case the handguard isn't the issue

Cameron is a freind of mine, and I already had spoken with him about blockage with his rails, and it was not an issue. Take the rail comlpetely off and see if it functions.

are you greasing the piston up and causing opwder residue to become sludge in there? that hole needs to be clear, either way.

Sometimes dirty pucks work better. I doubt if it's a blockage of that hole that's causing your gun to malfunction really. Yes it should be given room to breathe, and no it should never be welded shut...but I have done some testing with an S-20 of mine that was having cycling probs (like a lot of new S-20s), and I put a piece of scotch tape (like the small thin ass shit you wrap presents with...) over the hole and shot it with low brass to see if it would help it cycle any better (this was years ago when I first discovered that hole was even there...) It didn't even blow the tape off. To me that says there ain't enough pressure escaping from there to cause any kind of malfunction if you happen to put a HG on there that blocks it some. I'm sure Cam thought of this as well. You can see a carbon mark on a HG taken off a gun that's been fired a lot, but I doubt if it's a lot of air pressure escaping there (which if you blocked it off would cause a malfunction...or at least a change in function...).

I would say your gun has some other issues. Did it stop working good after it was converted? Sorry I need to go back and read the OP again...

After conversion when it still had the stock handguard on it ran real good with an occiasonal FTE on the last round. After I put on the quad rail I started noticing it happen more frequently. Sometimes I can run through a few mags no FTE's at all and sometimes I cant even get through a full 5rd mag without at least 2. I shoot mostly slugs and 00buck from this gun. I have the worst result when using drum mags. I have both a Promag 12 and MD-20 and almost every other shot is an FTE, which is so frustrating I don't een use them at all. Do you think it really has something to do with the hammer?

Edited by BuDA